Current DwC terms / discussions

1 view

Nico Franz

Feb 20, 2015, 2:02:10 PM2/20/15
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all:

   I'm trying to access this: http://terms.tdwg.org/wiki/ - not successfully. Am I pointing to the wrong link?

Thanks, Nico

John Wieczorek

Feb 20, 2015, 2:04:27 PM2/20/15
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com, Gregor Hagedorn, Markus Döring (GBIF)
I can't get to it right now either.

joel sachs

Feb 20, 2015, 2:05:21 PM2/20/15
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nico,

You're pointing to the right link, but at the wrong time. The server that
hosts terms.tdwg.org (biowikifarm.net) is being migrated as we speak. I
beleive it's scheduled to be back on-line Monday (if not earlier).

Joel.

Nico Franz

Bob Morris

Feb 20, 2015, 2:41:43 PM2/20/15
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com
For most such complaints, the problem is that terms.tdwg.org DNS A
record has a TTL of 86400 sec, which is about 24 minutes from 19:30Z
at by which time I believe most responsible DNS servers will have the
new address. Meanwhile, for most Linux users with sufficient privilege
adding
212.201.100.117 terms.tdwg.org
to /etc/hosts
will probably succeed. Other ways to defeat DNS TTLs may or may not succeed

The biowikifarm.net platform seems to be functioning fine at the new IP address

Bob
> --

Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morri...@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://wiki.datakurator.net
http://taxonconceptexplorer.org/
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram

Markus Döring

Feb 23, 2015, 6:29:35 AM2/23/15
to John Wieczorek, tdwg...@googlegroups.com, Gregor Hagedorn
Hi all,

I cant get to it either. It’s hosted at ZEDAT, FU-Berlin if you dig it. I cannot even ping the server right now.
Didn’t you reccently move the wiki, Gregor?

Markus

Nico Franz

Mar 5, 2015, 12:01:33 PM3/5/15
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com, John Wieczorek, Gregor Hagedorn
Working now -- thanks! Nico

P.s.: I feel quite strongly (as some of you know) that we have some work left here to do. Very briefly [1]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_reference => Semiotic triangle. Taxonomic names are the symbols in this context (and my interpretation, I suppose).

http://terms.tdwg.org/wiki/dwc:Taxon => This definition uses "Taxon" most immediately in the sense of "thought or reference" in the triangle.

In contrast, ICZN (http://iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp): ..

taxon, (pl. taxa), n.
A taxonomic unit, whether named or not: i.e. a population, or group of populations of organisms which are usually inferred to be phylogenetically related and which have characters in common which differentiate (q.v.) the unit (e.g. a geographic population, a genus, a family, an order) from other such units. A taxon encompasses all included taxa of lower rank (q.v.) and individual organisms.
.. is closer to using "Taxon" in the sense of "referent" in the triangle.

   I believe (but haven't worked it out, to my own satisfaction even) that this is partly an outcome of the Codes initially regulating name usages in contexts where each publication is a static, finite, one-time event; whereas DwC has evolved to succeed in a rather more expansive, computationally networked communication environment. In addition, the Codes are written by and for our own human cognitive strengths (why else would one care that much about conserved, prioritized, typified names anyway; my computer can handle genome-length name strings for each voucher [but my brain can't]), and we are transitioning into a realm where computational powers can be applied for the purpose of identifying and linking taxonomy's products (but still want/need taxonomic names too).

   All for now, though I hope that some of you will at least agree that we have work left to properly position the DwC and ICZN senses of "taxon" in the context of evolving, TDWG mediated communication contexts and needs. Both the taxonomic name <=> taxon (as natural entity) and taxonomic name <=> taxon (as proposed taxonomic theory) linkages can't actually do all the work that the triangle would seem to demand from us.

Cheers, Nico