Cheapish EDM machining service...

Allan

Mar 12, 2019, 9:01:59 AM3/12/19
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of a EDM machining service for cutting some (5 to
perhaps 50) pancake sheet metal dies in 1/16" tool steel?

Some CADCAM tips would be helpful. Artist type project, low
precision/accuracy stuff.

Somebody local with a home shop setup would be perfect I think.

And just in case you're wondering "Huh? What's EDM machining?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpHYBz7ToII

Allan

Andrew Lindberg

Mar 13, 2019, 8:07:05 AM3/13/19
to tcmaker
Do you have models for your design? Is it the same pattern 50 times or 5-50 different stamps?

I work in prototyping if you need help on the CAD and design side, but wire cut EDM will not be cheap.

Andy

mar...@bikiniduck.com

Mar 13, 2019, 4:58:57 PM3/13/19
to tcmaker
Does it have to be EDM? Getting them laser cut will be a lot cheaper.

I havent tried 1/16" yet, but I can laser cut up to about 0.020" thick tool steel on my laser, and there a couple other shops in town that can go up to 1/2" thick if needed.