[TCLCORE] Payments to the Ethereum address

Jan Nijtmans

Jan 10, 2023, 6:50:03 AM1/10/23
to Tcl Core List
Hi All,

In the TIP repository, the latest 3 TIP's contain the message:
     Payments to the Ethereum address ... help make this work and further work possible.

If this address belongs to the Tcl Consortium or the Tcl Association I think this is OK, but I suspect that's not the case. It's not clear where the money goes to, when payments to this address are made.

Am I the only one thinking it's a bad idea allowing this?

Regards,
         Jan Nijtmans

Harald Oehlmann

Jan 10, 2023, 7:54:17 AM1/10/23
to tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear Jan, dear Nathan,

I know Nathan personally as he participated at ETCL meetings.
I appreciate his deep knowledge and programming skills and continuous
work to clean-up bugs.

He moved from the US to Estland and offered TCL work for money at the
wiki (what is totally ok and welcomed). I have sent him an E-Mail that
my company may support him, but I need a legal invoice and a "normal"
bank account. There was never an answer on my radar.

Nathan is a Nerd skill person with the typical properties: thinks and
acts twice as quick as the community and has a wider vision. This is
often not easy for the community and I welcome him and want to ask him
for some patience and tolerance.

About the payment request in the TIP: no, sorry.

Thank you all, you are great!
Harald

OpenPGP_signature

Poor Yorick

Jan 10, 2023, 7:56:56 AM1/10/23
to Jan Nijtmans, Tcl Core List
I've reworded the statement to make it clear that such payments
specifically support the author:

"Payments to the Ethereum address
0x0b5049C148b00a216B29641ab16953b6060Ef8A6
support the author of this TIP, making this work and further work
possible."

An additional statement could (and I would say should) be added
describing how to make payments that support the project in general.

--
Yorick

Jan Nijtmans

Jan 10, 2023, 8:46:35 AM1/10/23
to Poor Yorick, Tcl Core List
Op di 10 jan. 2023 om 13:56 schreef Poor Yorick:
I've reworded the statement to make it clear that such payments
specifically support the author:

Well, I don't think any specific payment method should be mentioned
in the TIP. What you can do is create your own "support" web-page
(if you don't have it yet). Then mention something like this
in the TIP:

    Support
        If you want to support the author of this TIP, see <here>

Then, on that web-page you can mention any payment
method, whether it is Ethereum, Bitcoin, a normal bank
account or whatever you like.

Thanks!
        Jan Nijtmans

Kevin Walzer

Jan 10, 2023, 1:07:43 PM1/10/23
to tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net

+1

Poor Yorick

Jan 11, 2023, 2:36:14 PM1/11/23
to Harald Oehlmann, tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net
On 2023-01-10 14:53, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> Am 10.01.2023 um 12:49 schrieb Jan Nijtmans:
> Dear Jan, dear Nathan,
>
> I know Nathan personally as he participated at ETCL meetings.
> I appreciate his deep knowledge and programming skills and continuous
> work to clean-up bugs.
>
> He moved from the US to Estland and offered TCL work for money at the
> wiki (what is totally ok and welcomed). I have sent him an E-Mail that
> my company may support him, but I need a legal invoice and a "normal"
> bank account. There was never an answer on my radar.
>
> Nathan is a Nerd skill person with the typical properties: thinks and
> acts twice as quick as the community and has a wider vision. This is
> often not easy for the community and I welcome him and want to ask him
> for some patience and tolerance.

Thank you Harald for the hearty endorsement, which is much appreciated.
Sorry
to have missed your previous email, but thank you also for your
initiative in
that regard. I don't see it in my archives, so I guess it was lost.

In the past I have worked full time for a few months at a time on the
Tcl core,
with good results, and have been planning recently to do it again, and
this
time to send out invoices to companies using Tcl, along with a letter
explaining the effort so that those who wish to support it can easily do
so by
voluntarily paying the invoices. If it goes well, I'll spend more time
working
on the development of Tcl.

--
Yorick

Andreas Kupries

Jan 14, 2023, 8:01:30 AM1/14/23
to tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net

Another +1 here.

--
Happy Tcling,
Andreas Kupries <andreas...@gmail.com>

Jan Nijtmans

Jan 17, 2023, 3:34:34 AM1/17/23
to Tcl Core List
Op di 10 jan. 2023 om 12:49 schreef Jan Nijtmans:
Hi All,

In the TIP repository, the latest 3 TIP's contain the message:
     Payments to the Ethereum address ... help make this work and further work possible.
Am I the only one thinking it's a bad idea allowing this?

As I expected, I was not the only one, so those lines are now removed from the TIP's.
I couldn't find an appropriate support web-page as a replacement.

Thanks!
         Jan Nijtmans

Donal Fellows

Jan 17, 2023, 11:11:52 AM1/17/23
to Jan Nijtmans, Tcl-Core
It's good that you removed it.

If people wish to make donations to the Tcl Community Association, that would be entirely allowed. It's up to the TCA to specify mechanisms for doing so.

Donal.