Abbot Rd. north of Lake Lansing Rd. ...

Dave

Oct 8, 2021, 6:31:15 AM10/8/21
to tc...@googlegroups.com
... is an overbuilt disaster.  It is a totally unnecessary four lane boulevard that tempts speeders.  It would be far better served as three lanes plus bikes lanes just like it is now south of Lake Lansing Abbot Rd., then north to the county line.  I hope this happens one day.

Another problem there is the completely non-functioning beg button where the Northern Tier Trail's North Branch crosses from Abbot Rd. Park to the Aquatic Park.  To stay legal, one has to wait there quite a while (I've never sat and timed it) to legally cross Abbot Rd.  Not sure how to get East Lansing's PWD to fix this.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 8:47 PM, Tom Hardenbergh <greenv...@gmail.com> wrote:

All,

At the Abbot/Lake Lansing intersection where southbound lanes change from 2 to 1 with a bike lane, the pavement is marked "MERGE" with two large merge arrows; also a "lane ends" sign after the entrance off Abbot into the gas station.  Seems like a "right lane ends ahead" or such should be before the intersection of Abbot/Lake Lansing for southbound traffic.  Abbot/Saginaw southbound has a left-turn only, right-turn only, and two thru lanes; the right-most thru lane having the option to turn right.  The "bike lane ends" sign is about a block or so before the intersection.  A cyclist should position themselves in the center of the right-most thru lane if proceeding southbound on Abbot to lessen the chance of a motorist passing on the right and then moving left as the lane ends.  All lane markings from the intersection to about the library are faint or missing.  I doubt that Abbot north of Lake Lansing will ever go on a road diet.  The end of the the northbound bike lane is marked.  Again, a bicyclist should move to the center of the right-most thru lane if proceeding north.  Two-lane northbound and southbound boulevarded Abbot is OK.  The right lanes are wide.  Nearly all motorists exceed the speed limit by at least 5 mph.  The sidewalk is OK.

I haven't ridden through the intersection or noticed what the signage is, but this conversation caused me to jump in my car to see what's up.    I'd recommend a couple of us take a field trip there to scope-out the entire situation in the corridor from Lake Lansing to Grand River.    We can hope that Alice's inquiry will return the correct answer.  To paraphrase "Finish the damn work!", but before that we should know what we want to see so we can let someone know.

Tom H