Lansing one-way to two-way streetscapes

Tim Potter

Aug 11, 2022, 5:20:40 PM8/11/22
to tcatc
So, the City of Lansing converted the first 1-way streets to 2-way streets this past weekend.
I rode around on them for the first time last evening and was stunned to discover that there are no markings whatsoever for encouraging safe bicycling.

So, what was all the discussion about?  Andy did mention at the meeting I attended last week for the Mich. Ave. Corridor redo that the City is not sure the anticipated traffic volumes on the converted streets will warrant as much motor vehicle travel lane capacity, so I guess we can take that to mean that the City is willing to consider reducing some of the lanes or lane widths to accommodate bike facilities.  Seems to me that there is plenty of asphalt to divide up with paint at least to better accommodate and encourage bicycling as it sits now.

Yes, confident bicyclists like me and many of you don't need paint to tell us we're allowed to ride in the road, but it's the 95%+ cyclists out there who look at streets like this and think "NO HOW NO WAY!" and either don't ride their bikes in the city at all or ride on the sidewalks which makes them more dangerous for pedestrians.

Very frustrating.  I'd like us to invite Andy to explain these things himself at the next TCBA meeting when he hopefully comes to talk with us about the  Mich. Ave. Corridor redo.

Tim

*************************
MSU Bike Advisory Comm. member
Mer. Twp. Transportation Commission member
TCBA Advocacy Comm. member
Ride of Silence webmaster
LCI #5207

Ride of Silence:  www.rideofsilence.org

2023 Ride of Silence: Wed. May 17th, 7:00 PM
One day. One time. One world, world wide.
Let the silence roar....

Philip Wells

Aug 11, 2022, 9:22:40 PM8/11/22
to flyingdu...@gmail.com, tcatc
Hi Tim,

Several months ago, the TCBA Advocacy Committee agreed with Andy that it made sense to complete the two-way conversions and observe the situation for “a while“ before deciding on the need/opportunity to provide bicycle-specific pavement markings and/or other facilities. A key related factor is whether downtown motor vehicle traffic eventually increases from its current low post-pandemic level.

 We did not think it would have been practical or effective to try to plan detailed bike facilities before the two-way conversions are made. If that had been done, we probably would have ended up recommending changes anyway.

Also, the 4-5 block segments from Washtenaw to I-496 will not be converted until next year (at MDOT’s request) due to the 496 reconstruction project. All the more reason to get a complete picture before pushing for bicycle-specific provisions.

This was re-discussed at last night’s committee meeting. Pine and Walnut are supposed to be converted this fall, with Ottawa and Allegan to be done next year. In the meantime, we can observe and discuss, and decide whether and when to push for bicycle-specific accommodations.

Phil

On Aug 11, 2022, at 5:20 PM, Tim Potter <flyingdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
This is the Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee Google Group. The comments posted to this list are the expressions of individual members and are not to be construed as an endorsement by the TCBA-Advocacy group unless specifically stated otherwise. Our website is: http://biketcba.org/advocacy

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tcatc/CACuXwQ0siutdAL0u4ORPg8x0UHpoutL2a34OK-4JKRdk%3DbNWxQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Potter

Aug 11, 2022, 9:35:54 PM8/11/22
to Philip Wells, tcatc
Thanks for the review of our conversations with Andy about these conversions Phil.  I'm looking forward to further discussions with all of you and Andy about what makes sense down the road.

Tim