How I Learned to Cycle Like a Dutchman | The New Yorker

Philip Wells

Feb 1, 2024, 7:35:37 PMFeb 1
to tcatc
This article is almost 5 years old, but I don’t remember reading it before. It’s the best I’ve ever read about urban cycling.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/how-i-learned-to-cycle-like-a-dutchman

dale freeman

Feb 1, 2024, 7:53:50 PMFeb 1
to philw...@yahoo.com, tcatc
Great story Phil.  Except for going helmetless, I agree with the author.

--
This is the Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee Google Group.  The comments posted to this list are the expressions of individual members and are not to be construed as an endorsement by the TCBA-Advocacy group unless specifically stated otherwise.  Our website is:  http://biketcba.org/advocacy

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tcatc/C19B74DF-C547-49A2-8B1D-35B945791DF9%40yahoo.com.

Ann Siegle

Feb 2, 2024, 12:48:08 PMFeb 2
to dfree...@gmail.com, philw...@yahoo.com, tcatc
I loved it! We stayed in AMS for a week a few years ago, when our kids were 10 and 7, stayed on a couple of houseboats (one in Jordaan, a mostly residential/trendy area, and another on a busy canal), ONLY ONE slight incident, my husband failed to follow the tram alert signaling and crossed in front of a tram, the TRAM STOPPED. The tram driver honked at him and gave him an exasperated look. We calmly waited at the bike crosswalk with all the other cyclists, and pretended we didn't know him. And I also saw a guy with a TV and a SUPER pregnant lady riding with another kid in her cargo bike box.

I do feel a little bit, living in East Lansing, that we are on a verge of this kind of urban awareness - especially on campus - with so many bikes, you have to watch for them as a driver.  Not, obviously, out in, say, Bath Township, but at least downtown and on campus.  I rode with my youngest recently to a middle school band concert with a trumpet case sticking out of my pannier bag, in the dark, in our winter coats and winter hats, no helmets, with lights, and it felt fine, on the Burcham bike lane. People mostly gave us space. I was wearing a light colored hat but our coats are both dark colored.

Ann

--

Marketing Acuity Subsidiary Companies:
Championship Regatta Graphics - sponsor panels and boat graphics for sailing regattas around the world

Tom Hardenbergh

Feb 2, 2024, 5:20:20 PMFeb 2
to philw...@yahoo.com, tcatc
Sometime along the way, the Dutch decided to honestly and whole-heartedly support bicycling for transportation for the good of all.  Angry mother's may have started it, but many minds probably had to be changed.  It's a different country with different outlook.