June TCBA Advocacy Meeting - Wednesday June 5th at LMB

dale freeman

Jun 3, 2024, 3:42:08 PMJun 3
to Tim Potter, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Diana Twede, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, Steven Leiby, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Tom Hardenbergh, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Nick Kwiatkowski, tcatc
FYI

Please send me your agenda items for this Wednesday's meeting.

Thanks!

Dale

Dan Stockwell

Jun 3, 2024, 4:36:11 PMJun 3
to dale freeman, Tim Potter, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Diana Twede, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, Steven Leiby, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Tom Hardenbergh, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Nick Kwiatkowski, tcatc
Put me down for a quick Delta Township update.

Dan

Dan Stockwell

Jun 3, 2024, 6:07:26 PMJun 3
to dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Diana Twede, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, Steven Leiby, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Tom Hardenbergh, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Nick Kwiatkowski, tcatc
My wife is scheduled to return Wed. late evening, so I'll be frantically cleaning the house getting ready for the white glove inspection (and the hopeful safe arrival of my new custom bike from Japan)!

Not sure if Pat Harrington can attend, so here's the report for the 2024 Ride of Silence as posted on the official website:

East Lansing, 155 Riders

This was the 17th year for Greater Lansing Ride of Silence. Excellent media coverage and law enforcement assistance (approx. 20 officers from 5 different local and state agencies) - the interviews coincided with recent publication of MI State Police fatality analysis - our state had recent increases. We once again had a bagpiper as we launched. Weather was outstanding.

Event Photos (& links to news articles, videos, etc):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n9oao87Tk5UncJBVzV4rKry_2omZfnyL/view?usp=sharing
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/EDrnG5HgHfKZNiDa/?
https://www.wlns.com/news/17th-annual-ride-of-silence-in-lansing-begins-today-at-msu/
https://www.wilx.com/2024/05/16/mid-michigan-bike-riders-gather-17th-annual-ride-silence/
https://statenews.com/article/2024/05/cyclists-bike-from-msu-campus-to-capitol-to-raise-awareness-for-road-safety-honor-victims

Tim

*************************

Tom Hardenbergh

Jun 3, 2024, 7:46:45 PMJun 3
to dale freeman, Tim Potter, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Diana Twede, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, Steven Leiby, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Nick Kwiatkowski, tcatc
I'll be on the North West Tour.  Webster Road at Drumheller Rd will be closed for awhile.  The grade of the hill will be reduced.  If you're coming to Bath (?) to ride, come in from the north.

Tom Hardenbergh

Jun 4, 2024, 10:42:45 AMJun 4
to Prahinski, Carol, flyingdu...@gmail.com, dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Twede, Diana, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, leib...@gmail.com, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Kwiatkowski, Nicholas, tcatc
Yeah, provocative title lured me in.  Road design isn't a one size fits all solution.  Designers have definitely been biased.  The human element across the spectrum of needs has not been fully and equitably considered.

Tom H

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 11:10 PM Prahinski, Carol <prah...@broad.msu.edu> wrote:

I read this article and thought of you and this group. Some of you will find it interesting.

Cheers,

Carol Prahinski, Ph.D., DTM, Registered Parliamentarian

Jun 4, 2024, 2:11:03 PMJun 4
to Tom Hardenbergh, Prahinski, Carol, dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Twede, Diana, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, leib...@gmail.com, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Kwiatkowski, Nicholas, tcatc
This quote reminds me of my attempts to get MDOT engineers to make Mer. Twp's 3 new pedestrian "safety islands" truly safe for the pedestrians who risk crossing 5 lanes of Grand River Ave. I've since concluded that these "safety islands" are only safe for the motorists who hit them (and the engineers will say as much when pressed), not for a pedestrian who might be unfortunate enough to be standing there expecting to be safe from the motorists.

"Are there aspects of highway engineering where we have made progress sunsetting practices that have been shown to be wrong?
I’d say street trees, which conflict with this concept of clear zones. We wanted a more forgiving road, so we would cut down all trees alongside it. We’re still doing that on highways and rural roads, but we’re rethinking it in cities, because the trees might change how people drive on urban streets. It might lead to safer outcomes. Plus it’s a protection between the street and the sidewalk, where pedestrians are likely to be."

Tim

*************************
MSU Bike Advisory Comm. member
TCBA Advocacy Comm. member
Ride of Silence webmaster
LCI #5207

Ride of Silence:  www.rideofsilence.org

2024 Ride of Silence: Wed. May 15th, 7:00 PM
One day. One time. One world, world wide.
Let the silence roar....

Ann Siegle

Jun 4, 2024, 3:01:30 PMJun 4
to flyingdu...@gmail.com, Tom Hardenbergh, Prahinski, Carol, dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Twede, Diana, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, leib...@gmail.com, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Kwiatkowski, Nicholas, tcatc
Tim, this was an illuminating article! I would have entirely assumed the safety islands were safe - but clearly we've seen they aren't (as evidenced by the fact that the poles on the ones on Burcham - let alone Grand River - have been mowed down multiple times. We should build larger islands  - maybe with some planters in them  - similar to the idea of the trees - besides being a visual barrier, the trees serve a physical one (a shrub will not do that, I get it.)

I have personally witnessed the "flag poles" - flexi poles - get pushed over during the daylight hours although I suspect the poles got taken out at night. Interestingly enough the one that sits atop the MacDonald Middle hill has never been hit.

As I know we are getting more of these islands on Hagadorn between Grand River and Burcham, I do hope they make them larger with planters in them - at least people might see them.

Ann

--

Marketing Acuity Subsidiary Companies:
Championship Regatta Graphics - sponsor panels and boat graphics for sailing regattas around the world

Rosanne Leland

Jun 4, 2024, 9:29:20 PMJun 4
to flyingdu...@gmail.com, dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Diana Twede, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, Steven Leiby, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Arthur Slabosky, Pat Harrington, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Tom Hardenbergh, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Nick Kwiatkowski, tcatc
Sorry I won’t be able to attend the meeting tonight.
Rosanne
Sent from my iPhone

artbe...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 5, 2024, 12:31:25 AMJun 5
to flyingdu...@gmail.com, Ann Siegle, Tom Hardenbergh, Prahinski, Carol, dale freeman, Kevin Schumacher, Mike Dombroski, Dave Mansfield, Corey Rowe, Twede, Diana, Jeanne Wright, Michael Unsworth, Matt Penniman, leib...@gmail.com, Bob Lovell, Charles Kotz, David Goodman, Dan Stockwell, Robert Peña, Pat Harrington, Rosanne Leland, Dean Brailey, Alex Seddon, Patrick Kelley, Phil Wells, Kwiatkowski, Nicholas, tcatc
   The article has good points. The "reformed traffic engineer" is not a new subject.   I have a problem with the title.  The good-guys, such as Eric Dumbaugh, who are cited, are traffic engineers.   I am interested to hear more from team about the islands in M-43.

                                     Art