THE Intersection

1 view

David Goodman

Jul 16, 2021, 7:15:21 PM7/16/21
to tc...@googlegroups.com
I may be a little late to the game on this one, but I fully agree with Bob Lovell here about the proposed design that retains the curve, meaning eastbound traffic on Lake Lansing would remain prioritized over the NM traffic on the proposed trail. Non-motorized traffic must be the priority at this particular intersection.

And if we go with adding crosswalks across the existing island, that means that trail and sidewalk users will have to cross two separate roadways (legs) of the Lake Lansing-Towar-Birch Row intersection, specifically when traveling from White Park north along the trail or east to the Quality Dairy or beyond, or vice versa. No trail or sidewalk user should have to cross more than one roadway here. Unless of course, they are intentionally going kitty-corner.

For these reasons, I cannot support anything other than a standard four-way intersection here.
______________________________________

“The question l'd like to ask ICRD is "Why must eastbound Lake Lansing traffic be given defferential treatment not given westbound traffic?" The answer seems to be some form of "Because we can if we ignore non-motorized users." Remove this disparity and the 4 corners design falls in your lap.”

Bob Lovell
6185 Graebear Trail
East Lansing, MI 48823
517 256-4552
______________________________________

Tom Hardenbergh

Jul 20, 2021, 8:31:35 AM7/20/21
to Dave, tcatc
All,

Relevant observation, Dave, and well put.  Adds perspective to the conversation about THE Intersection.

You aren't late.  This is a long conversation and requires much more thinking and discussion.  There are 3 ways proposed to change THE Intersection so far (a tunnel option hasn't been brought up).

The existing island is not usable as a waiting area mid-stream: no ramps, crosswalks, NMT control signals, room for many persons or possibly certain types of bicycles.  Bob's 4-corner support is just one possible approach to the re-do here.  I'd like to discuss more the ICRD diagram, even though it is more expensive and the ICRD seems reluctant to provide more info or help with funding it.

The NMT and motoring public shouldn't be victims of a bureaucratic inter-agency fight!

Tom H

--
This is the Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee Google Group.  The comments posted to this list are the expressions of individual members and are not to be construed as an endorsement by the TCBA-Advocacy group unless specifically stated otherwise.  Our website is:  http://biketcba.org/advocacy

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tcatc/839016BB-136C-4DCE-8749-9C49E2B940B0%40aol.com.