bike lane combined with pick-up lane to solve problem at Newman Lofts area

Alice Dreger

Sep 14, 2022, 7:13:11 PM9/14/22
to tc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

This plan was presented to East Lansing’s City Council in the discussion agenda packet this week:

There was pretty much no discussion because Council said it all looks great and they want to see it approved on a consent agenda next week.

I am inquiring here what bicycle advocates think of the plan, if you have thoughts.

You can respond to me personally if you’re interested in an on-the-record comment on it. In that case, please identify yourself in your comment with your name, residence (like “I live in the REO Town neighborhood of Lansing”), and any other relevant information to identifying you.

Thanks very much.

Alice

Alice Dreger
East Lansing Info
We bring East Lansing the news!
eastlansinginfo.news

Alice Dreger

Sep 14, 2022, 7:15:29 PM9/14/22
to tc...@googlegroups.com
Just a P.S.

I’m not sure my subject line correctly describes what this plan proposes. I don’t really understand it, now that I’m reading it again and looking at the plan. Hoping those of you with engineering experience in these things can explain.

Tim Potter

Sep 14, 2022, 10:03:07 PM9/14/22
to Alice Dreger, tcatc
Thanks for alerting us to this proposed redesign of Albert St.  I'll have to give this more thought when I'm not super tired!

Curious, has there been any support of keeping Albert St. closed to thru traffic year-round to car traffic or is that configuration only ever discussed as a summer time solution?
Have they ever discussed making Albert 1-way only perhaps?  That would open up more pavement to be more inviting to people moving around via non-gas-motorized means (bikes, e-scooters, etc), & a less dangerous amount of car traffic flow.

I'm really concerned about the bike lane to the curb side of Albert at Abbot Rd.; there needs to be some pavement markings (like a pocket bike lane between the 2 MV lanes) to encourage those turning left to merge with motor vehicle traffic.  Some inexperienced riders will mistakenly stay in a bike lane and then try turn left with right turning or vehicles going straight, a pretty deadly scenario.

Tim

*************************
MSU Bike Advisory Comm. member
Mer. Twp. Transportation Commission member
TCBA Advocacy Comm. member
Ride of Silence webmaster
LCI #5207

Ride of Silence:  www.rideofsilence.org

2023 Ride of Silence: Wed. May 17th, 7:00 PM
One day. One time. One world, world wide.
Let the silence roar....

--
This is the Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee Google Group. The comments posted to this list are the expressions of individual members and are not to be construed as an endorsement by the TCBA-Advocacy group unless specifically stated otherwise. Our website is: http://biketcba.org/advocacy

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tri-County Bicycle Assn Advocacy Committee" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tcatc/632330A6-5C9F-4485-AD88-2FAE5A561A3B%40gmail.com.

alice...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2022, 7:34:25 AM9/15/22
to flyingdu...@gmail.com, tcatc
Tim,

Too much mischief and crime during the MSU school year to keep Albert closed anytime except summer.

No discussion of one way that I know of.

Good point on the left turn.

Doesn’t it look like the bike lane is going to be used as a short-term parking lane? Better than no bike lane and no pick-up/drop-off spot?

Alice

Michael Unsworth

Sep 15, 2022, 8:46:00 AM9/15/22
to Alice Dreger, Tim Potter, tcatc
Glad to see you back Alice. At last night's tcba advocacy committee, we did a quick run through on the diagram. We will have a more thoughtful reply on Tuesday.

Bob Lovell

Sep 19, 2022, 7:22:05 PM9/19/22
to Alice Dreger, Tim Potter, tcatc
Tim, the shortener on one-way is "Yes".  Ah, ancient history.  In 1970 we lived next to a vacant lot where Ann St. T's into Stoddard.  The city owned the lot and began work to push Ann on to Haggadorn, pairing it with Albert as one-ways.  The Bailey Neighborhood Association raised a ruckus and the idea was dropped.  As a reward for their activism Council approved a dozen or so rental duplexes for the vacant lot and surrounding area, turning it into a student ghetto, but by then we'd moved.

Bob Lovell
6185 Graebear Trail
East Lansing, MI 48823
517 256-4552