Aquaponics Work day! (2nd round)

1 view

Karen Swanberg

Jun 14, 2011, 1:17:44 PM6/14/11
to tcaqua...@googlegroups.com, urban-farming-prod...@googlegroups.com, MNURBAN...@lists.umn.edu, Fer Horn, Beth Wallace, Anne E Graham
Hi everyone!

I recently took possession of the greenhouse where I will be
building my Howling Moose Gardens aquaponics systems.
I've started blogging at http://howlingmoosegardens.blogspot.com/

I've held three very successful work days so far
(https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5fkVWzjK1XRumoOC_WSIFA?feat=directlink)
but as it turns out, I'm going to need a lot more help! This time it
won't be all foam, all the time. Construction materials for the
troughs have arrived:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LWB4E7ADxfAWR82590rz7Q?feat=directlink

The construction will consist of a LOT of manual labor. Pizza and
drinks will be provided. As there are many people, and we're all so
busy these days, I set up one of those "when is good for me?" on-line
schedule thingies:

http://www.doodle.com/kpdenuxwzwsix7za

Feel free to mark as many times as you like, and people can come and
go as they please, of course!

After some folks reply with times that are good for them, I will
select two (or five, or...) times to get a maximum number of people.

In addition, I plan to be out at the greenhouse most days now, and so
if you have a completely wacky schedule, but still want to participate
in the crazy, I can probably arrange to meet people at any time. There
are plenty of jobs for just two people.

To start with there won't be much to see, but I'm sure to be answering
lots of questions, and there is a tiny aquaponics setup out there
already, complete with tilapia and seedlings. Work will consist of
simple painting, simple construction using basic power tools such as
power drills and circular saws, basic low-pressure plumbing, again
with the power drills and circular saws. Also some digging. Plenty of
jobs for any skill set.

Please bring gloves and safety glasses if you have them, and if you
have folding chairs or power tools, those would be terribly useful
too.

Once everything is up and running, I will be holding "farm tours" as well!

--
-Karen Swanberg
Howling Moose Gardens, LLC