Howling Moose update + electrical help

Karen Swanberg

Apr 20, 2011, 1:21:08 PM4/20/11
to tcaqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi all;
I've signed my greenhouse lease, and am slowly starting things up in
Hugo. I don't have access to the entire greenhouse yet, I'm just
working on the loading dock, so I haven't done all that much. Now I've
got to find insurance. Anyone have an insurance broker they're happy
with?

One of the things I'm pondering is backup electrical systems - I'll
buy a generator, but until I can get there and turn it on, I want to
run my pumps etc. off of batteries. I know the basics of that, but I
was wondering if there is anyone on here that is good at this sort of
thing. My plan right now is to have two (or 4) 6volt deep cycle
batteries charging off of a trickle charger, and then use an inverter
to hook to the pumps.

But I have some UPSes, and would just as soon use the auto-switch-over
capacity those have.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, and can give me a hand, or at least advice?

p.s. if anyone wants to follow what I"m doing in detail, the best
sources of info are this thread on the BYAP forums:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8332
and my HowlingMoose twitter feed: http://twitter.com/#!/howlingmoose

--
-Karen Swanberg