Radio Control

Gareth Ellis

Oct 14, 2021, 8:42:49 PM10/14/21
to TBRR
During a great online TBRR meeting, we discussed the possibility of subsidising RC transmitters and receivers for better quality train control, after some research I found out that the RX6x series has literally just been discontinued.

The good news is that the  2.4GHz DSM2/DSMX control protocols are not restricted to Deltang. Another company is in the middle of creating a new receiver board that is going to be 100% compatible with the Deltang series equipment.

Here is a note from the company MICRON that is in the process of creating the new receivers.

4-Oct-2021: Deltang has ceased production of all Rx6x receivers (Rx60, Rx61, Rx62, Rx65 and Rx66). Although the obsolete Cypress RF chip is actually still available, supplies of the microprocessor and regulator chips used on Rx6x have been impacted by the global semiconductor shortage. Component distributors are either quoting lead-times well into 2022 or wanting a ridiculous price for remaining stock.

Micron replacements for Rx6x have also been hit by the shortage and designs had to change to use components that are still available. This has affected the development timetable. A replacement for Rx65 is very close and I am hoping to have this in production before the end of the year. After that, I will focus on a Rx60 replacement but this is unlikely to appear before the beginning of 2022.

This being said, I have created a questionnaire form to see what the interest would be so I have some quantities to speak with the suppliers about.

I will close the form in a week so add your entries soon.

Thanks

--
Gareth Ellis

Derik Melton

Oct 14, 2021, 8:58:12 PM10/14/21
to Gareth Ellis, TBRR
Thank you for looking into this for us!

Tim Howell

Oct 14, 2021, 9:09:56 PM10/14/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
For those who weren't at the meeting .. can you provide a non-technical summary of this system:  pros/cons, how to incorporate into trains, why someone would want to use this, etc.?

Thanks!

Tim

Gareth Ellis

Oct 15, 2021, 11:40:35 AM10/15/21
to Texas Brick Railroad

Gareth Ellis

Oct 15, 2021, 11:41:31 AM10/15/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
Update

There are still RX65s in stock and I believe that a new solution will be available in early 2022.

Steve Jackson

Oct 15, 2021, 6:52:55 PM10/15/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
At one receiver and one battery per engine, I might have to invest in more than 4.

I realize they can be moved around, but show hours are precious.

Gareth Ellis

Oct 17, 2021, 5:07:12 PM10/17/21
to TBRR
Bump

Anthony Sava

Oct 19, 2021, 12:47:59 PM10/19/21
to Gareth Ellis, TBRR
Sorry for the late reply.  I submitted my responses, though my answers would probably be a lot higher in quantity if my current situation was different.

--Tony

Steve Jackson

Nov 1, 2021, 9:48:10 PM11/1/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
Reminder that Frankie was interested.
It is also possible that Michaela would be interested once their train is built.

Edward

Nov 2, 2021, 12:36:31 AM11/2/21
to Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
It would probably be good to buy a few (a dozen?) extra sets.

Gareth Ellis

Nov 3, 2021, 5:08:45 PM11/3/21
to Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
I spoke with Phil the supplier / manufacturer again today. He says that it is likely that the receivers would be released after December 2021, They are on Rev 2 of the new circuit board so progress is happening.

If possible could Frankie and Micaela fill out the form, It will help me keep track of all that are interested. Are they in these groups?

Gareth Ellis

Nov 9, 2021, 6:59:14 AM11/9/21
to Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
One of the companies I am talking to has 7 RX65's there is a possibility to get these to start if any one is interested,

@Steve Jackson @Edward Chang I will get the price per unit including shipping so you guys can figure out what the subsidy might be.

Gareth Ellis

Jan 9, 2022, 7:00:59 PMJan 9
to Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi All and Happy New Year !

I have received an exciting update on the new Deltang receivers with some impressive specifications. See below.

Hi

A short update on progress with creating replacements for the Deltang Rx6x receivers.

My plan to continue operating Micron sales at the same time as developing new receivers was, in hindsight, somewhat optimistic. So, Micron sales are suspended until February to focus 100% on getting the receivers into production. The ‘Add to Cart’ button on all web pages has been disabled. All orders in progress will be completed.

The Micron MR603 (replacement for Deltang Rx65) is well advanced but still needs a lot of work to get production ready (90% complete, 90% still to do). The MR603 specification is:
size: 28x18x5mm,
DSM2/DSMX for compatibility with existing Deltang transmitters,
4.5V to 20V operation,
3A motor current,
4 x F switches,
4 x P inputs/outputs.

Other receivers in progress include:
MR601: Rx60 replacement, 2.7V to 18V, 1.5A motor current
MR610: Rx66 replacement. 4.5V to 28V, 10A motor current

Gareth Ellis

Apr 11, 2022, 4:12:08 PMApr 11
to Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi all,

I just received an exciting update from Phil at RCTrains about the RC cards, the first commercial batch is in production, it is a smaller one to test the production quality ETC. He is keeping in touch to let us know when we can start ordering.

Derik Melton

Apr 11, 2022, 4:27:40 PMApr 11
to Gareth Ellis, Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Woohoo

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth Ellis

Jun 27, 2022, 6:56:43 PMJun 27
to Derik Melton, Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Derik nudged me to touch base about the RC units,

and good news, we are on the list, the first batch sold out in 4 days, the second arrives at the end of july, He will invoice up for 20 cards and 5 controllers.

"Hi Gareth
The first batch sold out in under 4 days. A new batch will be available toward the end of July and I have put you on the wait list for 20. This time, the list is ordered and you are number 8. I will send an invoice when the receivers are available.
Regards
Andy
 Micron R/C"

Steve Jackson

Jun 27, 2022, 8:42:37 PMJun 27
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, Edward, Texas Brick Railroad
Muy excelente!!