UP donating Challenger UP3985 to Railroading Heritage of Midwest America for restoration to running condition

Matt Sailors

Apr 29, 2022, 11:27:30 AMApr 29
to Texas Brick Railroad

Gareth Ellis

Apr 29, 2022, 1:44:00 PMApr 29
to Matt Sailors, Texas Brick Railroad
That's cool, I guess U didnt want to pay for the restoration!

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 10:27 AM Matt Sailors <theinfor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gareth Ellis

Matt Sailors

Apr 29, 2022, 2:06:19 PMApr 29
to Gareth Ellis, Texas Brick Railroad
IIRC, it needs at the very least a tear down, inspection, and recertification of the boiler.  That was one of the major reasons it was pulled from service in the Heritage Fleet.  Once the Big Boy was up an running, they had a "super locomotive" and mothballed the Challenger.

I got to see the Challenger both up-close and under steam back in the early 1990s when I lived out west.  It stopped overnight in SLC on an excursion run between Omaha and SF.  I went down to the UP station in the afternoon for the tourist time and then parked out along the tracks outside of town to see it depart.  Don't know where my photos got to.

Steve Jackson

May 29, 2022, 1:35:25 AMMay 29
to Texas Brick Railroad
And every year there are fewer people who can test and certify a boiler.