I've started the first car of my Super Chief, the pleasure dome car. I designed a custom dome frame and had a prototype 3d printed by Shapeways
online. After completing the roof and placing it on the car, I was surprised to find it was too long! I took the custom part off and placed the forward and rear roof assemblies on the car. I tried to attach the custom part and sure enough too long.
Unfortunately, I had relied on Lego brick sizes in BrickLink's PartDesigner
and Sariel's Unit Converter
. Both of these have a stud measuring 8mm. According to this the length of the custom part should be 208mm (26 studs) with the dome section being 192mm (24 studs). I measured the opening between the roof sections. The distance end to end of the opening is slightly less than 206mm and the opening for the dome is slightly less than 191mm. So it seems these both have the wrong sizes for actual Lego. Searching online I found several differing measurments/opinions.
I do most of my 3d design in a program called Anim8or
, but relied on the measurment data in BrickLink's part designer and Sariel's online tools. Now I have to figure out how to come up with an accurate way of designing custom parts. FRUSTRATING!
Here are some pics of the pleasure dome car:
The goal (software render) with 0.01" plastic sheet nameplates:
The forward lounge:
The lower lounge:
The Turquoise Room:
The dome lounge: