Brick Rodeo 2022

Tim Howell

Dec 2, 2021, 11:29:17 AM12/2/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
 .. and let's use this thread for planning.  Since, you know, it has the proper name on it. Might help those that have trouble remembering :)

Tim

Gareth Ellis

Dec 2, 2021, 12:34:01 PM12/2/21
to Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
Just saw this... ooops

I like the idea of something a little more complicated, I think that we have a lot of resources now between us, that we could pull off something fun.

I personally like the idea of a large main loop with many smaller branch line loops for lots of activity. That would also allow for some kind of regions / zones or something like that.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 10:22 AM Edward <cantcur...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps we should consider what kinds of things we want to do with the layout next year.
The 2019 space was horrible so we should not use that as a guide.

Oval, loop-around-the-perimeter kind of layouts are easy to fit into any rectangular space.
If we want to do a long-narrow layout, that will require a different kind of space.
Same with L-shaped or other more complicated layout.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 10:29 AM Tim Howell <timothy...@gmail.com> wrote:
 .. and let's use this thread for planning.  Since, you know, it has the proper name on it. Might help those that have trouble remembering :)

Tim

Gareth Ellis

Steve Jackson

Dec 2, 2021, 9:35:38 PM12/2/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
Though we don't have to have one main loop that goes around the whole perimeter. A big rectangle, or any odd space, could be broken into at least two loops. If we have a big layout, a whole-perimeter loop looks empty a lot of the time. Having said that, if there are multiple loops, at least one should be long enough to handle big, long trains without looking silly. We accomplished that at Killeen.

Gareth Ellis

Dec 3, 2021, 9:32:03 AM12/3/21
to Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
I agree steve, there could be multiple dual line loops, that if close together, could have the outer line connected so at any point a really large train is run it cold run on the outer loop of the smaller loops while other trains are running on the inner loops of others, does that make sense? it does in my brain anyway. I have attached a very crude picture that shows what I am talking about, this image is no way an idea for the layout, just the connecting of the loops.

Connected loop idea.jpg

Will Heron

Dec 3, 2021, 1:25:39 PM12/3/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
That’s fun.
And a clear illustration of your point.

On Dec 3, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Gareth Ellis <gareth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree steve, there could be multiple dual line loops, that if close together, could have the outer line connected so at any point a really large train is run it cold run on the outer loop of the smaller loops while other trains are running on the inner loops of others, does that make sense? it does in my brain anyway. I have attached a very crude picture that shows what I am talking about, this image is no way an idea for the layout, just the connecting of the loops.

<Connected loop idea.jpg>

Travis Evans

Dec 5, 2021, 10:30:51 PM12/5/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
So, do we have a place already to mark down what people are bringing for brick rodeo?

Steve Jackson

Dec 6, 2021, 12:13:13 AM12/6/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
This is it . . .

Steve Jackson

Dec 6, 2021, 11:59:12 AM12/6/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
I will certainly have a kitbashed large Police Station and several flashing-light cars, just to keep those miscreant Lego crooks in line. All the little sub-buildings from the Police Station set will be built out into their own structures.

Edward

Dec 6, 2021, 5:51:51 PM12/6/21
to Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
I don't expect to have much in terms of new layout items.
I would like to build a new train station, but I haven't started yet.

We can revisit the idea of a collaborative drop section.
We have boxes of green, tan, and white club brick, which gives us options of forest/temperate, desert/western, and snow/Christmas scenes.

On the other hand, we could plan a longer term project to apply to project support in 2022 for Brick Rodeo 2023, and this year work on something else -
 like a concerted effort to fully light the layout, maybe?

Steve Jackson

Dec 6, 2021, 8:26:16 PM12/6/21
to Edward, Texas Brick Railroad
And by then I will have the new modular hotel, if we want to display a new set. I’ll build it more or less to instructions first before I think about modifying or enlarging it. From the images, it looks like it might be fine as is. Especially with lighting.

I’m of two minds about taking the Trans-Blue Tower to our Texas shows this year. On the one hand, it’s showy. On the other hand, everyone has seen it now except at Brickworld.

Tim Howell

Dec 6, 2021, 9:23:06 PM12/6/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
I'll want to bring my roundhouse and turntable again .. this time, I should actually be able to hang around the layout and show people how it works.

Tim Howell

Gareth Ellis

Dec 6, 2021, 9:35:46 PM12/6/21
to Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
@tim, I am excited to see it!

I will bring the powered street module converted for TBRR use, I may have the mountain corner done by then. Big Ben may even be finally complete although that will be a stand alone.

Gareth Ellis

Dec 6, 2021, 9:45:31 PM12/6/21
to Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
ohhh and I will bring the upgraded Class 43, will have 8 coaches (extra 4), maybe 16ft total. fully lit from head to toe.

Gareth Ellis

Dec 10, 2021, 9:25:43 AM12/10/21
to Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
From a major infrastructure standpoint, who is coming,? that might help decide a draft layout and therefore a draft size requirement

Travis Evans

Dec 10, 2021, 11:35:00 AM12/10/21
to Gareth Ellis, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
I am getting the full ticket so expect me

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth Ellis

Dec 10, 2021, 12:44:27 PM12/10/21
to Travis Evans, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
@travis are you bringing any track based MOC's?

Gareth Ellis
971 563 2567

Derik Melton

Dec 10, 2021, 12:50:36 PM12/10/21
to Gareth Ellis, Travis Evans, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
I plan to be there with my
Refinery MOC
Starbucks MOC

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth Ellis

Dec 10, 2021, 2:04:53 PM12/10/21
to Derik Melton, Travis Evans, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
I figured I would copy the MOC list on the Google drive and modify it for the BR2022, complete it as you can, it will greatly help for planning purposes.

Travis Evans

Dec 11, 2021, 10:42:55 AM12/11/21
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
Yes Gareth, I will probably bring everything in this photo
I may not bring the police truck and/or the nasa car
Sent from my iPhone

Travis Evans

Dec 11, 2021, 10:54:38 AM12/11/21
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
But is knock off Lego tabooed in here or is it ok?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Travis Evans <thomasthet...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes Gareth, I will probably bring everything in this photo
<image0.jpeg>

Edward

Dec 11, 2021, 3:57:31 PM12/11/21
to Travis Evans, Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
We discourage knock-off products. A couple pieces here and there we might let slide, but if it's very obvious a MOC is made from knock-off parts, we would not allow that.
We also draw a distinction between knock-off parts (things like Lepin, Mega) and third-party parts (things like Brick Tracks, Brickarms, etc.).

Your trains will be ok to run.
The track-based structures don't seem to fit with our track standards though.
Here is a sample track baseplate. The baseplate edges must line up, and the tracks must line up (including height).
I think the platform can be modified to work. I can't guarantee we'll have a place for the bridge though.

Gareth Ellis

Dec 11, 2021, 4:51:54 PM12/11/21
to Edward, Travis Evans, Derik Melton, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi Travis,

I agree with Ed,

- Fake lego = Taboo
- Track must be ballasted and positioned in the correct place right on a baseplate.

I know it seems like a lot of rules but hopefully you will see in time that it ensures we have a cohesive looking display.

Also please don't hesitate to ask any of us any advice or questions you might have if it helps when building anything to make sure it will connect well with existing track ETC. This is not control on your creativity, just dimensions and so on to make it all work together well.

Travis Evans

Dec 12, 2021, 1:07:31 AM12/12/21
to Gareth Ellis, Edward, Derik Melton, Tim Howell, Texas Brick Railroad
Oh yeah I’m working on most of that the bridge was mainly if we need it, getting a new baseplate to fix the track, but I thought I ballasted it or did I do it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth Ellis

Dec 12, 2021, 8:10:15 AM12/12/21
to Travis Evans, Texas Brick Railroad
Were you able to look at the attachment Ed sent? The instructions show the placement of the track on a 32x32, this is important so it lines up with other peoples tracks. The ballasting is some nice ballasting you have done but to make it cohesive with other tracks that will be at the show it would want to look like the ballasting and ties in the instructions.

Gareth Ellis
971 563 2567

Matt Sailors

Dec 12, 2021, 11:22:30 AM12/12/21
to Gareth Ellis, Travis Evans, Texas Brick Railroad
Let’s make the clear distinction between fake LEGO (copies of LEGO-produced parts / sets) and third-party (things that LEGO doesn’t make — like wide radius track, Brickarms, custom printed, etc.). Just being pedantic.

Play Well

Steve Jackson

Dec 12, 2021, 3:14:04 PM12/12/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
Yes. Fake = taboo. Third party all right, and sometimes even necessary for the kinds of display we do - wide radius track and  custom lighting, to name two.

Gareth Ellis

Dec 18, 2021, 4:03:11 PM12/18/21
to Texas Brick Railroad
Hey Ed and Tony,

Are you guys thinking of coming? If so, what would you like to contribute to the display?

Edward

Dec 18, 2021, 5:23:15 PM12/18/21
to Gareth Ellis, Texas Brick Railroad
I am planning to go. But I am not sure what I will bring yet.

Anthony Sava

Dec 18, 2021, 6:34:43 PM12/18/21
to Gareth Ellis, Texas Brick Railroad
I won't know if I can attend until much closer.

--Tony

Gareth Ellis

Apr 6, 2022, 7:55:42 PMApr 6
to Anthony Sava, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi All,

We have 2 months till Brick Rodeo, I would love the planning to start for this ASAP so there is no last minute panic.

Who is up for designing?

Edward

Apr 7, 2022, 10:47:50 AMApr 7
to Gareth Ellis, Anthony Sava, Texas Brick Railroad
I would like to design the layout.
If people have new things (buildings or modules) they'd like to include in the layout, please post pictures or renders here.

Gareth Ellis

Apr 8, 2022, 10:40:13 AMApr 8
to Edward, Anthony Sava, Texas Brick Railroad
Brilliant, I am excited about this show.

ckcollection2019

Apr 11, 2022, 12:09:06 AMApr 11
to Gareth Ellis, Edward, Anthony Sava, Texas Brick Railroad
Hey everyone, what would be a good contribution for brick rodeo from my part? A small building (i was thinking of an arcade with LED lights), tracks? Or a goofy cameo with like Coyote and road runner. Also would like to mention its inspiring to see all of your builds and to pick up building ideas and techniques from yall. Now that I don't have the stress (yet) for prepping for a show as a vendor I have some time to work on a project.

Its confirmed I will be at brick rodeo and I will bring my little buildings Steve. No surprises!

Thank you

Chant

Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Edward

Apr 11, 2022, 12:23:41 AMApr 11
to ckcollection2019, Gareth Ellis, Anthony Sava, Texas Brick Railroad

Hey everyone, what would be a good contribution for brick rodeo from my part? A small building (i was thinking of an arcade with LED lights), tracks? Or a goofy cameo with like Coyote and road runner. Also would like to mention its inspiring to see all of your builds and to pick up building ideas and techniques from yall. Now that I don't have the stress (yet) for prepping for a show as a vendor I have some time to work on a project.

Hi Chant!
Small buildings are good. Things with lights are even better. We always love to have new MOCs in our layout.
For planning purposes, I'll just need to know some basics about how your building is going to look - basic dimensions, if it should be a middle or corner building.
Funny vignettes are welcome too. If it can just be placed on the layout (not attached to its own baseplate) then we don't necessarily need to know ahead of time, but if you tell us we could include it on the Seek and Find.

Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Steve Jackson

Apr 17, 2022, 9:30:19 PMApr 17
to Texas Brick Railroad
I like the idea of a lighted arcade!

Robert Clarady

Apr 18, 2022, 2:38:39 PMApr 18
to Texas Brick Railroad
Hi Everyone,

New person here.  I had a chance to meet Ed, Steve and some of the other members at the New Braunfels show.  Recently moved to San Antonio from the Virginia Beach area where I was the Ambassador/Event Coordinator for Hampton Roads LUG (HARDLUG).

I spoke to Ed about possibly contributing to the TBRR Brick Rodeo display.  I have two train stations based on historic Virginia stations - Montpilier and Suffolk Seaboard.  Both are 2 x 1.5 baseplates and MILS (pics included).  I also have four 0.5 x 1 row houses (all middle and MILS).  If there is a need for more town modulars I do have a few more 1x1 corner and middle (also MILS) that just need to be repaired after the cross country move.

Looking forward to contributing as much or as little as y'all need.

Robert

Montpilier Station.jpg
Suffock Seaboard.jpg

Gareth Ellis

Apr 18, 2022, 2:42:53 PMApr 18
to Robert Clarady, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi Robert add welcome to the club, I look forward to seeing your builds and getting to meet you!

Gareth Ellis
971 563 2567

Derik Melton

Apr 18, 2022, 2:48:35 PMApr 18
to Gareth Ellis, Robert Clarady, Texas Brick Railroad
Welcome Robert! Buildings look nice!

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Howell

Apr 18, 2022, 2:52:36 PMApr 18
to Texas Brick Railroad
Welcome Robert!  You were my LAN Brickmate just a few years ago .. I'm the Houston Brick Club LUG Ambassador, also active with TBRR. Looking forward to meeting you in person at Brick Rodeo, if not before.

Tim Howell

Steve Jackson

Apr 19, 2022, 1:09:46 AMApr 19
to Texas Brick Railroad
Woot! Now we can have stations at both ends of the layout.

Edward

Apr 19, 2022, 10:57:13 AMApr 19
to Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Hi Robert,
Good to see you here!
We are always looking for more people and more things for our layouts. We can use one or both stations, and the modulars if you have time to repair them. Corner buildings are especially useful.

We will begin more detailed layout planning once we are given an exact space.

Ed

CK Brick Collection

Apr 19, 2022, 5:33:21 PMApr 19
to Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Hey guys does anyone know of companies that can chrome Lego? Wanted to check and see if there are any locally or in the U.S.A. before going with an international option.

Derik Melton

Apr 19, 2022, 5:49:26 PMApr 19
to CK Brick Collection, Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Bulletbricks on Facebook can.

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth Ellis

Apr 29, 2022, 3:54:59 PMApr 29
to Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
@ Ed,

Hey Ed,

Looks like the Brick Rodeo Austin team have started planning, I know you just got back from Galveston, but I wanted to confirm it the City module will be  a part of the main TBRR layout. it is 12 BP wide  x 4.5 deep

Thanks

Edward

Apr 29, 2022, 4:26:00 PMApr 29
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
We can include your city module. Can you post a rough sketch or Bluebrick screenshot showing the basic features (where buildings are, where streets are, etc.)?

Gareth Ellis

Apr 29, 2022, 7:11:50 PMApr 29
to Edward, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Sweet,

here is some pics

Brick Rodeo 2022 -.png

Gareth Ellis
971 563 2567

Edward

May 2, 2022, 10:45:27 PMMay 2
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Any chance you'll make more skinny tables? 1.5 x 6 baseplate.
I think there are just two right now.

Gareth Ellis

May 3, 2022, 6:35:23 AMMay 3
to Edward, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
We have 4 total, I have two with me that will be used on the city,

Gareth Ellis
971 563 2567

Edward

May 3, 2022, 10:03:40 AMMay 3
to Gareth Ellis, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Ok, great! Getting close to a draft layout.

Gareth Ellis

May 3, 2022, 1:09:09 PMMay 3
to Edward, Derik Melton, CK Brick Collection, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Exciting!

Gareth Ellis

May 9, 2022, 8:22:36 AMMay 9
to ckcollection2019, Edward, Derik Melton, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
This is a really neat idea! especially containing a micro GBC!

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 12:56 AM ckcollection2019 <ckcollec...@gmail.com> wrote:
Progress report on the arcade. Power functions and lights are finally more reliable after many trial and error runs.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

May 9, 2022, 8:56:38 AMMay 9
to Gareth Ellis, ckcollection2019, Edward, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Maybe use one basketball

Sent from my iPhone

Edward

May 9, 2022, 10:13:30 AMMay 9
to Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, ckcollection2019, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
What's the footprint of the arcade?

ckcollection2019

May 9, 2022, 4:11:37 PMMay 9
to Edward, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Its 56x32 around 20 bricks in heights. Has the front and right side exposed to the streets. Its a corner building. And the other two side are modular and smooth so it can join up to other buildings.
20220509_150721.jpg

Edward

May 9, 2022, 4:34:36 PMMay 9
to ckcollection2019, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Can you put it on a couple baseplates? We generally build our towns on baseplate modules, so multiples of 16 (e.g. 16x32 or 32x32, or in your case probably 64x32).
Maybe have tiled sidewalk area 8 studs wide to fill out the 56 stud side to a full 64, and then just line the edges and have a few underneath the building to support the floor?

I'll try to have it up close to the outer edge of the table, but it will have the main line track in front of it.

CK Brick Collection

May 9, 2022, 5:15:53 PMMay 9
to Edward, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
Okay I'll do that. How high should I go from the baseplate to the top of the sidewalk? About 1-3 plates high?

Edward

May 9, 2022, 5:21:16 PMMay 9
to CK Brick Collection, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad
The best options would be either just baseplate+tile, or baseplate+brick+plate+tile.
Thanks! This is looking good!

ckcollection2019

May 9, 2022, 6:34:44 PMMay 9
to Edward, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Steve Jackson, Texas Brick Railroad

Also would a bluetooth RC or a physical on/off button on the building be more convenient for the setup?

Steve Jackson

May 9, 2022, 9:44:35 PMMay 9
to ckcollection2019, Edward, Derik Melton, Gareth Ellis, Texas Brick Railroad
My two cents worth: a physical button, because that does not require keeping track of a controller.

I have two buildings that have lighting via controller, and two that have switches, and the switched ones are WAY more convenient.

CK Brick Collection

May 9, 2022, 11:09:24 PMMay 9