Discussion on arsenic-poisoning

1 view

Michael Sweet

Mar 24, 2009, 11:17:43 AM3/24/09
to TBL_k-12
MAN! I wish I had attended your session! :-0

There was too much arsenic in the well water where I grew up, and as a
result my whole family has pernicious anemia (chronic exposure to low
levels kills the intestinal bacteria necessary for B-12 uptake--the
premature gray is a symptom).

We're all taking B-12 shots now so everything's being treated, but
your case would have had special relevance to me!

-M

scottk...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2009, 10:34:59 AM3/25/09
to TBL_k-12
Your exactly right the application is fun,

But some tips on application are:
1) I've used this application 2 times, and both times only ~1% got the
right answer the first time around.
2) the first time around, I tell teams if they're right or wrong. And
offer bonus to teams that got it right, as long as they don't tell
anyone else. If I start to hear the same answer from other classes, I
revoke all of their bonus point.
3) The second time around, about 50-60% get the right answer. I don't
tell anyone if they're right/wrong because I've found that they tell
other classes the answer.
4) The next class after all classes have presented their choices and
rational, I tell them the answer and explain the additional historical
context of why the cemetery is the source of the Arsenic.

Sibley, Jim

Mar 25, 2009, 10:39:21 AM3/25/09
to tbl_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips

I am going to use this for the first time when I give a 75 minute Intro
to TBL session near the end of April

I will be doing this session online using wimba's live classroom to kick
off the Team-Based Learning Collaborative Topics in TBL series

Jim

Michael Sweet

Mar 25, 2009, 11:02:16 AM3/25/09
to TBL_k-12