Code names for Trunk builds

12 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Banner

unread,
Jun 6, 2011, 6:00:54 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
I'm starting this as a separate thread to make collation easier.

Firefox changed Minefield to Nightly as they wanted to attract more
users to it and soften the name. We're thinking about changing the name
for Shredder, though we haven't decided for definite yet. This decision
may take us longer to complete on as trunk builds are already set up,
and we're focused on getting the rapid releases moving smoothly, however
as we're thinking about aurora code names, now seemed a good time to
kick off the discussion.

Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly builds
of Thunderbird?

The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to
imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a
sense of that for Thunderbird as well.

Mark.

John Hopkins

unread,
Jun 6, 2011, 6:29:09 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 11-06-06 03:00 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
> I'm starting this as a separate thread to make collation easier.
>
> Firefox changed Minefield to Nightly as they wanted to attract more
> users to it and soften the name. We're thinking about changing the name
> for Shredder, though we haven't decided for definite yet. This decision
> may take us longer to complete on as trunk builds are already set up,
> and we're focused on getting the rapid releases moving smoothly, however
> as we're thinking about aurora code names, now seemed a good time to
> kick off the discussion.
>
> Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly builds
> of Thunderbird?

How about "Sapling" (a young tree) which goes along nicely with Trunk
(both tree related) and implies a less mature codebase.

John

>
> The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to
> imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a
> sense of that for Thunderbird as well.
>
> Mark.
>
>
>

> _______________________________________________
> tb-planning mailing list
> tb-pl...@mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning

_______________________________________________
tb-planning mailing list
tb-pl...@mozilla.org
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning

Archaeopteryx

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 5:34:33 AM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
> Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly builds
> of Thunderbird?

By animals:
Nightly: "Nighthawk" / "Raven" / "Crow" / "Nightingale"
Aurora: "Earlybird"

By development:
Nightly: "Breaking Egg"
Aurora: "Chick"

The bold way:
Nightly: "Pterodactylus"
Aurora: "Archaeopteryx"

Rafael Ebron

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 9:52:24 AM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 6/8/11 2:34 AM, Archaeopteryx wrote:
> > Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly builds
> > of Thunderbird?
>
> By animals:
> Nightly: "Nighthawk" / "Raven" / "Crow" / "Nightingale"
> Aurora: "Earlybird"
I like the names.

>
> By development:
> Nightly: "Breaking Egg"
> Aurora: "Chick"
I like this concept a lot maybe different names.

Mike Conley

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 10:02:29 AM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
More ideas:

Nightly: Nestling, Nestegg,
Aurora: Fledgling

Karsten Düsterloh

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 10:44:04 AM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Archaeopteryx aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

> The bold way:
> Nightly: "Pterodactylus"
> Aurora: "Archaeopteryx"

That'd make explaining nightlies to newbies very easy, at least:
„Don't use versions you can't spell or pronounce properly!“

;-)


Karsten

Patrick Ben Koetter

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 3:55:59 PM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
* Mark Banner <mba...@mozilla.com>:

> I'm starting this as a separate thread to make collation easier.
>
> Firefox changed Minefield to Nightly as they wanted to attract more
> users to it and soften the name. We're thinking about changing the
> name for Shredder, though we haven't decided for definite yet. This
> decision may take us longer to complete on as trunk builds are
> already set up, and we're focused on getting the rapid releases
> moving smoothly, however as we're thinking about aurora code names,
> now seemed a good time to kick off the discussion.
>
> Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly
> builds of Thunderbird?

I don't think I really have a good idea for a name, but I believe I have a
good guideline:

Everybody is working hard to reduce information overflow, to make interfaces
easier to understand and to reduce unneeded complexity.

Language is also an interface. Make peoples life easier. Get to the point.
Don't be too poetic. Use names that tell what it is.

This said, I'd use something everyone recognizes out of Thunderbird context
e.g. "Recent" or create an association along something people know from
Thunderbird e.g. "Hatching".

p@rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15 Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München Telefax +49 89 3090 4666

Amtsgericht München Partnerschaftsregister PR 563

John Hopkins

unread,
Jun 8, 2011, 5:10:41 PM6/8/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 11-06-08 12:55 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Mark Banner<mba...@mozilla.com>:
>> I'm starting this as a separate thread to make collation easier.
>>
>> Firefox changed Minefield to Nightly as they wanted to attract more
>> users to it and soften the name. We're thinking about changing the
>> name for Shredder, though we haven't decided for definite yet. This
>> decision may take us longer to complete on as trunk builds are
>> already set up, and we're focused on getting the rapid releases
>> moving smoothly, however as we're thinking about aurora code names,
>> now seemed a good time to kick off the discussion.
>>
>> Therefore, any suggestions for a new name for the trunk/nightly
>> builds of Thunderbird?
>
> I don't think I really have a good idea for a name, but I believe I have a
> good guideline:
>
> Everybody is working hard to reduce information overflow, to make interfaces
> easier to understand and to reduce unneeded complexity.
>
> Language is also an interface. Make peoples life easier. Get to the point.
> Don't be too poetic. Use names that tell what it is.
>
> This said, I'd use something everyone recognizes out of Thunderbird context
> e.g. "Recent" or create an association along something people know from
> Thunderbird e.g. "Hatching".

Good point. The simplest replacement for Nightly I can think of is Daily.

John

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages