[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2020-12-21

Magnus Melin

Feb 1, 2021, 2:02:46 PM2/1/21
to Thunderbird planning (moderated)

Thunderbird Project Council Meeting

When: December 21, 2020 at 9:00 PM CEST
Minuter: Magnus
In the call: Magnus, Berna, Dirk, Patrick, Christopher, Ryan
Regrets: Philipp

Motions since last meeting

  • Hiring/contract related motions by Magnus. Approved.

Financial

  • Dirk inquired about progress on publishing annual report.
    • Ryan wants to send it out new year when we have the numbers for the whole year.
    • Patrick brought up that Brian had requested that we get board approval before publishing numbers.
  • Berna asked about end-of-the-year donation drive. Ryan confirmed it's happening: newsletter and social media are scheduled.

Hiring/personnel

  • Magnus shared that a Thunderbird related proposal for funding got approved from the Internews UXFund. It's for work around improved encryption UX in Thunderbird. The person it was rewarded to will work with us on that subject during the spring.
  • aarch64 hardware needed for macOS silicon build/dev work
    • [motion] from Magnus: approve Magnus&Rob to figure out suitable silicon hardware to be funded up to 2,000USD.
      • seconded by Ryan.
      • motion approved. All yes.
    • Rob will host it, the team could use it for occasional Mac testing as well
  • Berna shared two docs she had created: one for welcoming new team members, and one with an onboarding checklist
  • We wish Khushil all the best in his future endeavors. Head count for the paid team is currently down to 13.

Product/strategy

  • Dirk asked about next steps for public vision discussion
    • Berna has collected the answers in an excel file
    • Christopher suggested better visualization
      • Magnus proposed using a word cloud generator

Governance

  • Discussed the meeting we had with the CPG team.
 -Magnus

Ben Bucksch

Feb 2, 2021, 7:37:00 PM2/2/21
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Thank you, Magnus, Patrick, and Berna, for these meeting minutes.

I find it useful to see who said what. It gives at least a tiny little insight into what's happening at the Council and at Thunderbird.