Planned Thunderbird 3.3 Features

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Banner

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 10:14:19 AM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
At the recent all-hands we had various discussions of what to include in Thunderbird 3.3. This is the list of significant things that we're going to be concentrating on.

With regards to schedule, this is currently mainly dependent on Account Provisioning and Search Integration. I hope to be moving from alpha to beta sometime in the next month or so once we get some more UX affecting changes landed. For the actual release, we're probably looking at sometime during Q2.

Features
These features will most likely block a 3.3 release. This list does not include features or changes already landed (e.g. upgrade to gecko 2.0, etc.).
  • Account Provisioning
    • This is probably most at risk of missing 3.3 as it currently depends on resolving legal and technical issues, some of which are out of our control.
  • Search Integration
    • This is integrating search engines into Thunderbird, allowing searches from Thunderbird's UI. Experimental add-on coming soon.
  • Instrumentation
    • We are investigating adding more hooks and information feedback so that via an opt-in process we can gather more data about users who download Thunderbird and if they install successfully or not.
  • Add-on manager
    • This is already on trunk, but we need to complete being able to see collections on AMO (bug 600367) as that's the biggest bit missing from the Get Add-ons pane.
Significant Bugs
  • "A" shortcut improvements (bug 511741 and others) - major support annoyance so +1 Roland
  • Reducing the initial load on IMAP servers when connecting Thunderbird (details still being worked out)
  • LDAP hang on shutdown (already fixed by bug 544939/bug 343332)
Features and other improvements we'd like to include if there's time
  • Improved Personas integration
  • Feedback in a test-pilot / input.mozilla.com style
  • Address Book improvements - see separate thread
  • Account Wizard improvments (bug 549045)
  • Tab reordering (bug 468808)
  • Complete the Account Central rework (bug 489999)
  • Complete send in background (bug 511079)
Post Thunderbird 3.3

We've only done a little thinking post 3.3 at the moment. At the moment, these are the main bullet points:
  • Pluggable message store and enabling of maildir.
    • This is the move to the new storage mechanism that David has been working on. It is intended to land soon after 3.3 is branched so that it can get plenty of testing before the next releases.
  • Possible Gecko release changes
    • Firefox are discussing releasing more frequently. There are no firm details yet, but we expect this will impact our releases on Thunderbird and we'll need to consider that.
  • Sync
    • We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight away.
Mark.

Jonathan Protzenko

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 11:25:46 AM2/9/11
to Mark Banner, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
We mentioned updating the "What's new" pane to show some of our
official experiments for people to try them out. It that still part of
the plan? Full disclosure: I'd love to get a wider audience using
Thunderbird Conversations, I don't even have 10000 users right now, and
only 300 of them are running the newer series...

jonathan

On Wed 09 Feb 2011 04:14:19 PM CET, Mark Banner wrote:
> At the recent all-hands we had various discussions of what to include in
> Thunderbird 3.3. This is the list of significant things that we're going
> to be concentrating on.
>
> With regards to schedule, this is currently mainly dependent on Account
> Provisioning and Search Integration. I hope to be moving from alpha to
> beta sometime in the next month or so once we get some more UX affecting
> changes landed. For the actual release, we're probably looking at
> sometime during Q2.
>

> *Features*
> /These features will most likely block a 3.3 release. This list does not

> include features or changes already landed (e.g. upgrade to gecko 2.0,

> etc.)./
>
> * Account Provisioning
> o This is probably most at risk of missing 3.3 as it currently


> depends on resolving legal and technical issues, some of which
> are out of our control.

> * Search Integration
> o This is integrating search engines into Thunderbird, allowing


> searches from Thunderbird's UI. Experimental add-on coming soon.

> * Instrumentation
> o We are investigating adding more hooks and information feedback


> so that via an opt-in process we can gather more data about
> users who download Thunderbird and if they install successfully
> or not.

> * Add-on manager
> o This is already on trunk, but we need to complete being able to


> see collections on AMO (bug 600367) as that's the biggest bit
> missing from the Get Add-ons pane.
>

> *Significant Bugs*
>
> * "A" shortcut improvements (bug 511741 and others) - major support
> annoyance so +1 Roland
> * Reducing the initial load on IMAP servers when connecting


> Thunderbird (details still being worked out)

> * LDAP hang on shutdown(already fixed by bug 544939/bug 343332)
>
> *Features and other improvements we'd like to include if there's time*
>
> * Improved Personas integration
> * Feedback in a test-pilot / input.mozilla.com style
> * Address Book improvements - see separate thread
> * Account Wizard improvments (bug 549045)
> * Tab reordering (bug 468808)
> * Complete the Account Central rework (bug 489999)
> * Complete send in background (bug 511079)
>
> *Post Thunderbird 3.3
>
> *


> We've only done a little thinking post 3.3 at the moment. At the moment,
> these are the main bullet points:
>

> * Pluggable message store and enabling of maildir.
> o This is the move to the new storage mechanism that David has


> been working on. It is intended to land soon after 3.3 is
> branched so that it can get plenty of testing before the next
> releases.

> * Possible Gecko release changes
> o Firefox are discussing releasing more frequently. There are no


> firm details yet, but we expect this will impact our releases on
> Thunderbird and we'll need to consider that.

> * Sync
> o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox Sync)


> into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an add-on first,
> so it may not get incorporated straight away.
>
> Mark.
>
>

> _______________________________________________
> tb-planning mailing list
> tb-pl...@mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning
_______________________________________________
tb-planning mailing list
tb-pl...@mozilla.org
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning

Rafael Ebron

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 11:28:23 AM2/9/11
to Jonathan Protzenko, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Probably better to do this on the Start Page, and we can get something
out by the end of this week. Miramar users for sure. Could promote to
3.1.x users too?

-Rafael

Mark Banner

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 11:45:38 AM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 09/02/2011 16:28, Rafael Ebron wrote:
> Probably better to do this on the Start Page, and we can get something
> out by the end of this week. Miramar users for sure. Could promote
> to 3.1.x users too?
Well the current version only works with 3.3 builds, so we'd only do
this there. We might want to re-layout the start page a bit, but we
could perhaps just add it first, then do that later?

Tanstaafl

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 10:38:56 AM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Most of this sounds great, and I don't know if you were interested in
feedback here, but...

On 2011-02-09 10:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
> * Search Integration
> o This is integrating search engines into Thunderbird,


> allowing searches from Thunderbird's UI. Experimental add-on
> coming soon.

Assuming you're talking about being able to select/highlight text and
perform a web search, I'd really like to see TB able to automatically
make use of any Search Engines that are installed for Firefox (if it is
installed)...

I have no interest though in 'Thunderbrowse' like functionality though -
if I want to browse the web, I use my browser (Firefox)...

> * Sync
> o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox


> Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an
> add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight away.

What kind of syncing? I'd love to be able to sync Addons, settings, etc,
as well as Address Books... but I'd also prefer NOT to be forced to use
Weave, so would really like to see some kind of syncing over standard
FTP/SFTP or similar... I just don't like the idea of my stuff being
hosted on a 3rd party server...

Andreas Nilsson

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 11:53:18 AM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 02/09/2011 04:38 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
> On 2011-02-09 10:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> * Sync
>> o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox
>> Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an
>> add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight away.
> What kind of syncing? I'd love to be able to sync Addons, settings, etc,
> as well as Address Books... but I'd also prefer NOT to be forced to use
> Weave, so would really like to see some kind of syncing over standard
> FTP/SFTP or similar... I just don't like the idea of my stuff being
> hosted on a 3rd party server...
I haven't tried this myself (yet), but this should allow you to set up
your own sync server.
http://decafbad.com/blog/2010/07/05/firefox-sync-server-on-google-app-engine
- Andreas

Andreas Nilsson

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 11:58:56 AM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 02/09/2011 05:53 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 04:38 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-02-09 10:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>>> * Sync
>>> o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox
>>> Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an
>>> add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight
>>> away.
>> What kind of syncing? I'd love to be able to sync Addons, settings, etc,
>> as well as Address Books... but I'd also prefer NOT to be forced to use
>> Weave, so would really like to see some kind of syncing over standard
>> FTP/SFTP or similar... I just don't like the idea of my stuff being
>> hosted on a 3rd party server...
> I haven't tried this myself (yet), but this should allow you to set up
> your own sync server.
> http://decafbad.com/blog/2010/07/05/firefox-sync-server-on-google-app-engine
>
> - Andreas
Err...that was for syncing with Google(!) it seems. Sorry, didn't read
the page properly first.
Anyhow, at the bottom of https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Weave/FAQ it says
you should be able to host it on your own server.

Jonathan Protzenko

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 12:01:44 PM2/9/11
to Mark Banner, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Yes, the current version of Thunderbird Conversations only works with
3.3 releases, so I think this will be for Miramar only. But that would
be great.

The alpha2 version that's on AMO is getting a little bit old, but I can
release a new version in, say, one week, and you can enable the page at
that time. What do you think?

jonathan

Andrew Sutherland

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 12:21:19 PM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 02/09/2011 08:58 AM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 05:53 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> I haven't tried this myself (yet), but this should allow you to set
>> up your own sync server.
>> http://decafbad.com/blog/2010/07/05/firefox-sync-server-on-google-app-engine
>>
>> - Andreas
> Err...that was for syncing with Google(!) it seems. Sorry, didn't read
> the page properly first.
> Anyhow, at the bottom of https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Weave/FAQ it
> says you should be able to host it on your own server.
> - Andreas

The new Python-based server is very easy to get going:

hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/services/server-full/
cd server-full
make build
bin/paster serve development.ini

Andrew

Mark Banner

unread,
Feb 9, 2011, 1:21:28 PM2/9/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 09/02/2011 15:38, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2011-02-09 10:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> * Search Integration
>> o This is integrating search engines into Thunderbird,
>> allowing searches from Thunderbird's UI. Experimental add-on
>> coming soon.
> Assuming you're talking about being able to select/highlight text and
> perform a web search, I'd really like to see TB able to automatically
> make use of any Search Engines that are installed for Firefox (if it is
> installed)...
We're probably going to have pretty similar default lists to being with.
An option later would be to sync with your Firefox/other installations.

> I have no interest though in 'Thunderbrowse' like functionality though -
> if I want to browse the web, I use my browser (Firefox)...
I suggest you wait until next week when we should be releasing the first
version of the add-on and give it a try. From what I've seen of it so
far, there's a reasonable balance - but there will feedback
opportunities as normal.

>> * Sync
>> o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox
>> Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an
>> add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight away.
> What kind of syncing? I'd love to be able to sync Addons, settings, etc,
> as well as Address Books... but I'd also prefer NOT to be forced to use
> Weave, so would really like to see some kind of syncing over standard
> FTP/SFTP or similar... I just don't like the idea of my stuff being
> hosted on a 3rd party server...
The sync we're talking about here is what was originally know as Weave
and is currently known as Firefox sync. We're not sure what will be on
the early list for syncing, but I certainly expect some of what you've
said. There's also other opportunities that we may get for syncing
contacts, e.g. via remote address books - something that the address
book thread touched on.

Sync has always been based around security, the data is encrypted on
your computer and then uploaded to the server, the necessary decode keys
don't exist on the server. However, I believe that you can also choose
to run your own weave/sync server - certainly last I checked it appeared
to be a possibility - so if you want to run it on your own server that
would be possible as well.

Personally, I can't see us looking to supporting FTP or similar at the
moment as using Sync gives us a lot of wins and I expect most people
would be happy to use it. There is always the add-on space where folks
can experiment with different protocols and methods if they wish.

Mark.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages