new tier 2 build platform - linux-aarch64

Rob Lemley

Jan 27, 2021, 11:28:34 AM1/27/21
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org, Maildev

Everyone is on the ARM/Aarch64 bandwagon, so why shouldn’t Thunderbird be as well?

We now have linux-aarch64 builds (opt only, no shippable) in comm-central, complete with OpenPGP support. This is still a “desktop” build using X11/Wayland libraries, so it’s suitable for a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 64-bit OS. It is also known to run on the Pinephone with Manjaro ARM (though you will want an external display).

Apple Silicon support should be landing in the 87 dev cycle, with Windows 10 ARM to follow.

I created a wiki page because, why not? Thunderbird::AArch64

--
Rob Lemley
Thunderbird Release Engineer

Ryan Sipes

Jan 29, 2021, 3:04:59 AM1/29/21
to Thunderbird planning (moderated), Rob Lemley, Maildev

Great job Rob, this is exciting!

Ryan

Rob Lemley

Jan 29, 2021, 11:52:23 AM1/29/21
to Óvári, Thunderbird planning (moderated), Maildev, sup...@puri.sm
Withiin the limitations of the smaller screen and how that affects the usabilty of the UI yes it should work.  I can't say for sure since I don't have a Librem 5 myself yet.

Perhaps a separate page to list some developer/hardware/os usability data is needed?

-Rob

On 1/29/21 5:20 AM, Óvári wrote:

Thank you Rob!

Will this mean that Thunderbird will also run on the "Librem 5" [1]?

Should the Thunderbird:AArch64 website [2] add `- Librem 5` under "Known to run on:"?

Thank you

Óvári

[1] https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:AArch64#Linux_Aarch64