meaning of yellow star symbol in subject line

Christopher Wensink

Sep 29, 2020, 11:29:25 AM9/29/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On Thunderbird 78.2.1 there is a yellow Sun symbol, similar to a *
symbol that shows up for some new emails but not all new emails that
come in.  I'm not talking about the star column or the Junk Flame Column
or the read green gray dot, it is in the Subject Column. Sometimes for
new emails it shows up, sometimes it does not.  I have one user that's
getting 50+ e-mails each morning where some have it and some do not.
Can someone explain it or point me to the documentation on this?

Chris

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator

Timo Pietilä

Sep 30, 2020, 12:08:40 AM9/30/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Ijust now noticed that it isn't read/unread -icon. That's the green/grey
dot -column. IOW I have the same question, what is it?

Timo Pietilä

On 29.9.2020 18.28, Christopher Wensink wrote:
> On Thunderbird 78.2.1 there is a yellow Sun symbol, similar to a *
> symbol that shows up for some new emails but not all new emails that
> come in.  I'm not talking about the star column or the Junk Flame Column
> or the read green gray dot, it is in the Subject Column. Sometimes for
> new emails it shows up, sometimes it does not.  I have one user that's
> getting 50+ e-mails each morning where some have it and some do not. Can
> someone explain it or point me to the documentation on this?
>
> Chris

Magnus Melin

Sep 30, 2020, 3:33:20 AM9/30/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
That's the NEW indicator. Messages can be read or unread. In addition,
the ones that were not there the last time you went to the given folder
are NEW: messages you didn't see before. Folders that contain such new
messages also get this "flare".

 -Magnus

Christopher Wensink

Sep 30, 2020, 9:26:12 AM9/30/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Magnus,

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I am confused about why this particular user comes in each morning, his PC was Logged out, not powered off, he logs in, opens Thunderbird to check mail and of the 50 messages he gets 30 of them have the "flare" the other 20 do not, and it's the first time that he's opened Thunderbird for the day.

Can you point me to the documentation or the code for the "flare".

("flare" reminds me of the movie The Office- Joana(Jennifer Aniston) " You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?..."  ;-)

Lionel Élie Mamane

Sep 30, 2020, 10:20:42 AM9/30/20
to Christopher Wensink, tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 08:25:03AM -0500, Christopher Wensink wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification, I guess I am confused about why this
> particular user comes in each morning, his PC was Logged out, not powered
> off, he logs in, opens Thunderbird to check mail and of the 50 messages he
> gets 30 of them have the "flare" the other 20 do not, and it's the first
> time that he's opened Thunderbird for the day.

The messages arrive in the box with the "NEW" flag set. As soon as any
user agent (email program) "sees" them, the NEW flag is cleared. The
only user agent I know that can be configured not to do that is mutt.

So, if the user has the same IMAP account configured on a pocket
computer (e.g. smartphone), that will clear the NEW flag on the
messages seen there.

Magnus Melin

Sep 30, 2020, 1:05:00 PM9/30/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 2020-09-30 17:20, Lionel Élie Mamane wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 08:25:03AM -0500, Christopher Wensink wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarification, I guess I am confused about why this
>> particular user comes in each morning, his PC was Logged out, not powered
>> off, he logs in, opens Thunderbird to check mail and of the 50 messages he
>> gets 30 of them have the "flare" the other 20 do not, and it's the first
>> time that he's opened Thunderbird for the day.
> The messages arrive in the box with the "NEW" flag set. As soon as any
> user agent (email program) "sees" them, the NEW flag is cleared. The
> only user agent I know that can be configured not to do that is mutt.
>
> So, if the user has the same IMAP account configured on a pocket
> computer (e.g. smartphone), that will clear the NEW flag on the
> messages seen there.

Correct. I don't know if there is any Thunderbird specific documentation
about it. It's from the IMAP RFC, see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#page-51

 -Magnus