sent folder issue

Christopher Wensink

Nov 10, 2020, 5:37:03 PM11/10/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
I have one user who has multiple email accounts set up on her
Thunderbird Profile.  Because of managing multiple accounts, she has to
juggle around to multiple areas when responding to customer's requests,
and it is critical that she gets all of her sent mail going to one
specific sent folder on the accounts.

Sometimes that does happen, as it is configured to do, sometimes that
does not happen.  Out of an average of 40-50 emails she sends per day,
she will have 3-5 or more e-mails that should be going to the sent
folder on account one, but they just don't, their stuck in the sent
folders from other accounts no matter what account she started it from.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this and do you have a fix?

Chris

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator

J.B. Nicholson

Nov 10, 2020, 9:55:52 PM11/10/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
You wrote:
> I have one user who has multiple email accounts set up on her Thunderbird Profile.
> Because of managing multiple accounts, she has to juggle around to multiple areas
> when responding to customer's requests, and it is critical that she gets all of her
> sent mail going to one specific sent folder on the accounts.

Just to be clear: Are you saying that she wants all sent mail to go to one
server-side folder without consideration of the account from which the mail was sent
(sent mail from Account X and sent mail from Account Y both go to Account Y's sent
mail folder)?

Or are you saying that each account has a sent folder and sent mail goes to the sent
mail folder which corresponds to the account from which a mail was sent (sent mail
from Account X goes to Account X's sent folder, sent mail from Account Y goes to
Account Y's sent folder)?

The first arrangement is not typical, but it sounds to me like what you're aiming to
do (hence my question above). The latter is more typical and usually more desirable
when considering archiving retrieval and searching needs.

> Has anyone experienced anything similar to this and do you have a fix?

I have not seen this. The closest I can think of is that occasionally something in
the connection between her computer and the server fails and Thunderbird doesn't end
up storing the sent mail in the desired server-side folder. Are you sure this isn't
happening? What connection protocol are you using?

Perhaps try storing sent mail in a local folder and use a mail filter to move the
mail to where you really want the mail to go?

This isn't ideal because it will require an extra effort (via a mail filter) to move
each mail from that local folder to the correct folder. But it might give you what
you want in the end if you want all sent mail in one folder regardless of the account
the mail was sent from.

Christopher Wensink

Nov 11, 2020, 5:54:33 PM11/11/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
What I want to have happen is the second option you described:

"Or are you saying that each account has a sent folder and sent mail
goes to the sent mail folder which corresponds to the account from which
a mail was sent (sent mail from Account X goes to Account X's sent
folder, sent mail from Account Y goes to Account Y's sent folder)? "

Unfortunately her system is not doing that, there are half a dozen or
more e-mails that when sent from account Y, the end up in the sent
folder of account X, rather then the sent folder of Y. Likewise the sent
folder of Z will be missing e-mails that have ended up in the Sent
Folder of X, she has to go back and find the e-mail and move it from the
Sent folder of X to the Sent folder of Y because the email was sent from
folder Y.

I hope that is clear.  Sorry for the confusion.

On 11/10/2020 8:55 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> u saying that each account has a sent folder and sent mail goes to the
> sent mail folder which corresponds to the account from which a mail
> was sent (sent mail from Account X goes to Account X's sent folder,
> sent mail from Account Y goes to Account Y's sent folder)?

--

Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator
Five Star Plastics, Inc
1339 Continental Drive
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Office: 715-831-1682
Mobile: 715-563-3112
Fax: 715-831-6075
cwen...@five-star-plastics.com
www.five-star-plastics.com

J.B. Nicholson

Nov 11, 2020, 7:14:05 PM11/11/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
You wrote:
> Unfortunately her system is not doing that, there are half a dozen or more e-mails
> that when sent from account Y, the end up in the sent folder of account X, rather
> then the sent folder of Y. Likewise the sent folder of Z will be missing e-mails that
> have ended up in the Sent Folder of X, she has to go back and find the e-mail and
> move it from the Sent folder of X to the Sent folder of Y because the email was sent
> from folder Y.

Ah, then I'm glad I asked about that. Now that what you want is more clear to me, I
suggest looking at her account settings for each account and make sure that the
correct account is selected in "Copies & Folders" account setting for each account.

As I write this, the current release version of Thunderbird is 78.4.1. I see that on
that version of TB one can check "Place a copy in:" and then pick the radio button
for '"Sent" Folder on:' followed by the account name. Using that option might help
narrow down the problem and avoid accidentally picking the wrong Sent folder. It
would also be a good idea to check the version of TB she's using.

This means that you have to have a folder named "Sent" (I'd assume that name is
case-sensitive) at the root of the mail account or inside a folder you name in
"Server Settings" -> Advanced... -> "IMAP server directory:" if you're using IMAP
(which you probably should be). But that should not be a problem. Also make sure that
the maximum number of server connections is rather low because you're probably
checking all of these accounts simultaneously and I'm guessing that they're all
hosted on the same mail server.

Finally, make sure there are no other connections to these accounts from another
email program. Sometimes weird results like what you describe come from multiple
email programs working on the same email account simultaneously and they're doing
contradictory actions. It would be bad to diagnose the problem with TB if the problem
is the fault of some other misconfigured client. Perhaps change each relevant account
password and set the new passwords in only TB just to be sure no other client can get
to these accounts.

Christopher Wensink

Nov 12, 2020, 11:21:33 AM11/12/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Each account is using IMAP.  There was one thing that was strange, for
the first account listing (the name of the account is FSP), "The option
for place a copy in" was set to Other > Then the folder selected under
other was Sent folder on FSP (the same).  I changed that entry to "Sent"
folder on FSP the first option rather than the second, "Other" option.

The Check messages every value was 5 minutes for each account, and under
Server Settings > Advanced the Imap Server directory box is blank- the
same for all accounts.

Show only subscribed folders is checked and server supports folders that
contain sub-folders and messages is checked, Maximum number of server
connections to cache is set to 5.

I'll wait a few days to see if the problem continues to happen.

Thanks everyone.

--

Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator

J.B. Nicholson

Nov 12, 2020, 6:16:53 PM11/12/20
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
You wrote:
> Each account is using IMAP.  There was one thing that was strange, for the first
> account listing (the name of the account is FSP), "The option for place a copy in"
> was set to Other > Then the folder selected under other was Sent folder on FSP (the
> same).  I changed that entry to "Sent" folder on FSP the first option rather than the
> second, "Other" option.
>
> The Check messages every value was 5 minutes for each account, and under Server
> Settings > Advanced the Imap Server directory box is blank- the same for all accounts.

You should check each account to see where the Sent folder is relative to the root of
each account. Sometimes account folder layout puts all folders under Inbox in which
case you'll need to account for that in the Advanced IMAP server directory by putting
Inbox followed by whatever the folder separator is on your server, such as a period.

> Show only subscribed folders is checked

You probably don't want that to be checked. You probably want to see all the folders
on the account regardless of subscription.