Adding many sentences to Tatoeba

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

May 22, 2021, 9:53:02 AM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

I have been making and using my own multilingual dictionaries
since some years, and I only just learned of Tatoeba from Ricardo14.

I consequently have several collections of translated sentences.
Are you interested in adding these to Tatoeba? If so, how should
I prepare them?

I have a private collection of 500 tongue twister sentences, some
with audio.

I also have software for loading the entirity of OPUS
(https://opus.nlpl.eu/), which in fact includes Tatoeba as a corpus.

Please receive my sincere salutations.

Grzegorz

Alan F

May 22, 2021, 10:03:49 AM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Grzegorz,

We're pleased that you heard about us from Ricardo14, and we're especially glad to have you join us.

Have you already registered at Tatoeba, read our guidelines (see the links under "Need some help?" at the bottom of any Tatoeba page) and contributed individual sentences? If not, I encourage you to do so. This is the best way to learn how our process works and what kind of sentences we're looking for.

I'll leave it to someone else on this thread to address your questions regarding the best way to handle a mass import of sentences and audio.

Welcome to Tatoeba!

Best regards,
Alan

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

May 22, 2021, 11:17:21 AM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alan,

I hadn't done all of those, so I just started to read
the "Need some help?" section. Is this the relevant article?
https://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/avoid-copy-pasting-sentences

I avail myself of this opportunity to renew to you the assurances
of my highest consideration.

Grzegorz

Alan F

May 22, 2021, 11:50:36 AM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Grzegorz,

I wasn't thinking about a specific page, but that page is relevant if any of the sentences you were thinking about contributing were written by someone else (or are translations of sentences written by someone else) who did not explicitly give permission for their reuse.

Thanks,
Alan

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

May 22, 2021, 1:05:02 PM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alan,

That is the only page I found to document the kind of sentences we're
looking for. Can you explain the kind of sentences we're looking for?

With Appreciation,

Grzegorz

Alan F

May 22, 2021, 7:49:22 PM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Grzegorz,

I was thinking about the guidelines about adding "new, natural-sounding sentences" (see https://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/guidelines# ), and sentences that are "clear, self-contained, ..." (see https://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/how-to-write-good-sentences#).

Best regards,
Alan

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

May 22, 2021, 9:44:50 PM5/22/21
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com, Alan F
Dear Alan,

I see. I will defer to others on the interpretation of these principles,
and I'll anyway add sentences only if the database administrators will
support import from another system.