Sphinx index merge in production

Gilles Bedel

Jan 6, 2016, 11:56:13 AM1/6/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just wanted to inform you that I set up daily Sphinx index merge in
production [1]. It means the Sphinx index is no longer computed from
scratch every week, but grows little by little. That lighten the load
of the server, but the downside is that indexation bugs will stick.

Before, when a search wasn’t returning the expected results because of
some bug, one could often wait until the next weekly reindexation and
things would get sorted out. We no longer have this safety net.
Misindexed sentences will remain until someone runs the reindexation
from scratch. To do so, just SSH into the server and run

$ sudo cron/refresh_index.sh

and wait an hour or two until it finishes.

[1] https://github.com/Tatoeba/tatoeba2/issues/943

— gillux