GSoC 2016

Trang HO

Jan 4, 2016, 7:59:56 AM1/4/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The application for GSOC 2016 for mentoring organizations will be open pretty soon (February 8).
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Same questions as last year:

Do we want to participate again this year?
Anyone wants to be a mentor?

Trang

Ricardo Junior

Jan 4, 2016, 9:18:01 AM1/4/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com

That would be great participating of this Project since Tatoeba should and deserves to be used and helped by more people that will or may add even more for this project. Unfortunately, there are many polyglots and web programmers or even "language students" that don't know the existence of our website that's daily build for them. I think this is a good way to get visibility and help - we need this a lot

Gilles Bedel

Jan 4, 2016, 11:36:04 AM1/4/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 13:59:36 +0100
Trang HO <tr...@tatoeba.org> wrote:

> The application for GSOC 2016 for mentoring organizations will be open
> pretty soon (February 8).
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>
> Same questions as last year:
>
> Do we want to participate again this year?

Yes, I do.

> Anyone wants to be a mentor?

Yes, I do. However, I suggest that this year, we select students more
carefully, even if it means ending up with only one or even no student.
Last time, it sounded to me that we were trying to get as much students
working as possible. I’d like we focus on quality instead. Right now I
don’t know how to go about that, but I know I don’t want to mentor a
student like last time’s. (I’m blaming him as much as myself here.)

Speaking of which, in the event Google doesn’t allow us to participate
this year, how about setting up similar event of our own? Could we
leverage a substantial bounty from the donations of something? Last
year, Trang answered positively [1] but we didn’t do anything. I always
feel like things are a bit too forced under the GSoC as we get many
applications from students that are fighting their way to get selected
whatever it takes. Maybe there are people willing to contribute for a
bounty in our own community already?

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tatoebaproject/Ww4pztwokTE/gn3elLEJ4g8J

— gillux

Trang HO

Jan 5, 2016, 4:29:16 AM1/5/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I do. However, I suggest that this year, we select students more
carefully, even if it means ending up with only one or even no student.

I agree.​

Speaking of which, in the event Google doesn’t allow us to participate
this year, how about setting up similar event of our own? Could we
leverage a substantial bounty from the donations of something?

I'm up for it but we would need to define the format of the event.

On the financial side, I'll have to check how much money exactly Tatoeba has in reserve, but I think we could invest ~1000€ while still ensuring we have enough to continue paying the server for a couple of years.

CK @ Tatoeba Project

Jan 5, 2016, 4:37:26 AM1/5/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I don't really have a strong opinion on this matter, but to play the devil's advocate, I wonder if some members would think it unfair that we should pay some new-comers to the Tatoeba Project for their hours of work, while not paying other members for their hours of work.

Is a student programmer's work any more valuable than a translators work?  Many members have already spent more time on this project than any student programmers ever are likely to spend.

Unlike Google, our aim isn't to encourage young programmers, I think, but to encourage creation of sentences and their translations.  There is, perhaps, a danger of losing our focus.

Like I say, I don't have a strong feeling about this, but we may want to be careful about this.

I sort of like the idea that the project is a volunteer thing and that it's a group of people working together that way.

==
== CK @ The Tatoeba Project
==

Trang HO

Jan 6, 2016, 8:25:19 AM1/6/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
​I wonder if some members would think it unfair that we should pay some new-comers to the Tatoeba Project for their hours of work, while not paying other members for their hours of work.

I don't think members would feel it's unfair as long we don't spend money uselessly.

Unlike Google, our aim isn't to encourage young programmers, I think, but to encourage creation of sentences and their translations.  There is, perhaps, a danger of losing our focus.

Note that this is not about encouraging young programmers. If we were to organize an event of our own, we wouldn't copy GSoC's format and restrict it only to students.

And I don't think that looking for more developers makes us lose focus. Tatoeba really needs more developers. For me at least, it is currently more important to find more developers than to get more sentences and translations.

GSoC is one way to attract some of them. Organizing a coding event would be another way. Gillux for instance didn't contribute to Tatoeba's code until he participated to GSoC with Tatoeba. But everything he did for Tatoeba was extremely useful.

We can maybe find an event format where we can attract developers without money involved. But first we'll see how it goes with our GSoC application this year. It's not sure yet that we will organize our own event.​