Are dependent job slots guaranteed to follow their parents?

Han Sooloo

May 26, 2019, 9:16:38 PM5/26/19
to taskspooler
Imagine I have a job that does media conversion (mkvmerge) that runs a few hours.  After it is complete, I want to run another program to do some post-process cleaning (very short lived, that does a status update).

Given a job size of 4, are the jobs and their dependents guaranteed to have sequential slots?

e.g.,

[running]  Job 1
[queued]   Job 2, dependent on Job 1
[running]  Job 3
[queued]   Job 4, dependent on Job 3

Will the dependents always kick in in those sequential slots, or is there a possibility that I may end up with something like this:

e.g., if I added 2 more jobs to the queue:

Job 5
Job 7

Once Job 1 completes, am I guaranteed to have something like this?

[running]  Job 3
[queued]   Job 4, dependent on Job 3
[running]  Job 5
[queued]   Job 6, dependent on Job 5
[queued]   Job 7
[queued]   Job 8, dependent on Job 7
[finished] Job 1
[finished] Job 2, dependent on Job 1

Lluís Batlle i Rossell

Jun 6, 2020, 12:15:20 PM6/6/20
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
Jobs will be run in the order of the queue, yes. Each time a run slot
frees up, the queue is searched for next task to run. Those that cannot yet run
(dependant on others to finish) are skipped.

If job 3 finishes before job 1, job 4 will run before job2.
> --

(Escriu-me xifrat si saps PGP / Write ciphered if you know PGP)
PGP key 7CBD1DA5 - https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/