command output to stdout

trtrmitya

Mar 25, 2009, 9:25:09 AM3/25/09
to taskspooler
Hello!

I want to direct commant output to stdout instead of a temporary file.

From the man page i got an impression that '-n' option does just that.

But it does not work:

$ ts -n /bin/date
$

no output.

I use ts-0.6.4 on FreeBSD.

May be I am missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Raúl Salinas Monteagudo

Mar 25, 2009, 10:55:09 AM3/25/09
to tasks...@googlegroups.com

2009/3/25 trtrmitya <trtr...@gmail.com>

Hello!

I want to direct commant output to stdout instead of a temporary file.

From the man page i got an impression that '-n' option does just that.

"ts -nf date"  is probably what you are looking for.

trtrmitya

Mar 26, 2009, 6:17:38 AM3/26/09
to taskspooler
On Mar 25, 5:55 pm, Raúl Salinas Monteagudo <rausali...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2009/3/25 trtrmitya <trtrmi...@gmail.com>
Probably not.
I want to run several processes at once and get their output (if any)
at stdout.

I just dont understand why ts -nf directs output to stdout (as
expected) but ts -n don't.

Thanks.

Lluís Batlle

Mar 26, 2009, 6:32:00 AM3/26/09
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
If -f is not passed, the job is completely detached from the terminal,
thus cannot send anything to it.
Try with this, if you want your sh to manage the jobs and keep having
terminal output:
ts -nf job1 &
ts -nf job2 &
ts -nf job3 &

Does it work for you?

Regards,
Lluís

trtrmitya

Mar 26, 2009, 6:59:19 AM3/26/09
to taskspooler
Yes, it seems to work as expected,
ts -w also works in that case.

I will use it like that, though i vote to mention about the issue in
the man page.

Thank you.