task spooler 0.7.3 released

Lluís Batlle i Rossell

May 26, 2012, 11:12:35 AM5/26/12
to Llista de Task Spooler
Hello,

I released 0.7.3 with the new option discussed '-N', to set how many free slots requires a job
to run.

I tested it a bit, and I think it works fine. Bug reports welcome.

Regards,
Lluís.

Alexander Inyukhin

May 27, 2012, 6:31:47 AM5/27/12
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have some notes about ts debianization.

1. New Debian packages are built with 'hardening' compiler options,
so I had to modify Makefile to respect external CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS.
Please, take look at this:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/task-spooler.git;a=commitdiff;h=f0f86465e8aafdca32567df61740e80574786ae9

gcc-warning patch there fixes a type warning as required by
exec(3):
The list of arguments must be terminated by a NULL pointer,
and, since these are variadic functions, this pointer must
be cast (char *) NULL.

Except this, hardening compiler options produce a long list
of warnings about unused return values after system call
functions.
Actual compiler flags here are '-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__STRICT_ANSI__'.

2. The 'debian-pkg' directory could be renamed back to 'debian' since
with the new package format this does not longer lead to conflict.

3. The latest source tarball includes full .hg tree. It is better
to avoid this. Probaly, the .hgtags file should be excluded too,
since debian packaging tools produce a warning about its precence.

4. New debian package link is http://mentors.debian.net/package/task-spooler
but I still hope, that some day it will be somewhere on packages.debian.org.

Lluís Batlle i Rossell

May 27, 2012, 6:38:59 AM5/27/12
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 02:31:47PM +0400, Alexander Inyukhin wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 05:12:35PM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I released 0.7.3 with the new option discussed '-N', to set how many free slots requires a job
> > to run.
> >
> > I tested it a bit, and I think it works fine. Bug reports welcome.
>
> Hi,
> I have some notes about ts debianization.
>
> 1. New Debian packages are built with 'hardening' compiler options,
> so I had to modify Makefile to respect external CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS.
> Please, take look at this:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/task-spooler.git;a=commitdiff;h=f0f86465e8aafdca32567df61740e80574786ae9
>
> gcc-warning patch there fixes a type warning as required by
> exec(3):
> The list of arguments must be terminated by a NULL pointer,
> and, since these are variadic functions, this pointer must
> be cast (char *) NULL.
>
> Except this, hardening compiler options produce a long list
> of warnings about unused return values after system call
> functions.
> Actual compiler flags here are '-g -O2 -fstack-protector
> --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__STRICT_ANSI__'.

Uhm, this will require quite a lot of effort. I take it as work to do. Thank you!

> 2. The 'debian-pkg' directory could be renamed back to 'debian' since
> with the new package format this does not longer lead to conflict.

Ok.

> 3. The latest source tarball includes full .hg tree. It is better
> to avoid this. Probaly, the .hgtags file should be excluded too,
> since debian packaging tools produce a warning about its precence.

Ouch, my fault. May I just replace the tarball?

> 4. New debian package link is http://mentors.debian.net/package/task-spooler
> but I still hope, that some day it will be somewhere on packages.debian.org.

Thank you a lot for your effort!

Alexander Inyukhin

May 27, 2012, 7:10:48 AM5/27/12
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:38:59PM +0200, Llu�s Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 02:31:47PM +0400, Alexander Inyukhin wrote:
> > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 05:12:35PM +0200, Llu�s Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I released 0.7.3 with the new option discussed '-N', to set how many free slots requires a job
> > > to run.
> > >
> > > I tested it a bit, and I think it works fine. Bug reports welcome.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have some notes about ts debianization.
> >

> > 3. The latest source tarball includes full .hg tree. It is better
> > to avoid this. Probaly, the .hgtags file should be excluded too,
> > since debian packaging tools produce a warning about its precence.
>
> Ouch, my fault. May I just replace the tarball?

Yes, I think.

Lluís Batlle i Rossell

May 27, 2012, 7:13:45 AM5/27/12
to tasks...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 03:10:48PM +0400, Alexander Inyukhin wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:38:59PM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > Ouch, my fault. May I just replace the tarball?
>
> Yes, I think.

Done!
$ md5sum ts-0.7.3.tar.gz
684e1090fbbaf10fd6af52ac38981ba8 ts-0.7.3.tar.gz