importing ics into another calendar app

ritathel...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2015, 8:23:08 AM12/21/15
to Google Tasks Backup
I've downloaded the tasks in .ics format then tried to import into both a new Google Calendar and Outlook.  Both accept .ics but upon import I get an error message in both Google Calendar and Outlook that there were no tasks imported.  When I look at the .ics file in a text editor, all the tasks are there.  Am I doing something wrong?

Google Tasks Backup Moderator

Dec 21, 2015, 7:51:55 PM12/21/15
to ritathel...@gmail.com, Google Tasks Backup
Hello Rita,

Regarding Google Calendar
Unfortunately, Google keeps Calendar and Tasks very separate, in separate server databases. Even though the Google Calendar displays tasks in the calendar view, they are actually retrieved from the Google Tasks server. When you import from an ICS file into Google Calendar, it only imports calendar entries from that file; it ignores tasks ("VTODO" entries) [1].

If you wish to import tasks from one Google account into another, then you can export the tasks in "Import/Export GTBak" format using Google Tasks Backup, and then import those tasks into a different account using Google Tasks Import. Please refer to this Wiki page for detailed instructions.

Regarding Outlook
It seems that Outlook only processes the ICS file for what Outlook calls "appointments" when importing from an ICS file; it ignores "VTODO" items in the ICS file.

It is possible to import Google Tasks into Outlook, but they must be exported from GTB in "Outlook CSV" format, not "iCal ICS" format.

To import Google Tasks into Outlook 2007;
    1. Export tasks from GTB in "Outlook CSV" format
    2. In Outlook 2007, go to File > Import and Export
    3. Select "Import from another program or file" and click [Next >]
    4. Select "Comma Separated Values (DOS)" and click [Next >]
    5. [Browse ...] to select the .csv file exported by GTB and click [Next >]
    6. Select "Tasks" as the destination folder and click [Next >]
    7. Click [Finish]
For future reference in the hope that it may help others, I have added these instructions to the WikiI don't have any other versions of Outlook, but I presume that the steps would be similar.

[1] Technical details:
The ICS format can contain various types of entries (referred to as "components" in RFC 2445 on page 9), including
  • Events (VEVENT),
  • To-do aka Tasks (VTODO),
  • Journal entry (VJOURNAL),
  • Free/busy time (VFREEBUSY).
It is up to individual application to decide which components they will support in ICS files. It seems that many (most?) only support VEVENT.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Julie Smith
GTB Developer