TaskJuggler 3.0.0 - First stable release available now!

Chris Schlaeger

Nov 2, 2011, 3:24:18 PM11/2/11
to taskjuggle...@googlegroups.com

Hello TaskJuggler Users!

When I started to work on TaskJuggler exactly 10 years ago, I was trying to write a tool that would help me with my day job. At this time the SUSE product portfolio was expanding quickly and the development team was growing almost every day. I needed a tool to help me keep track of my deliverables, my teams and my deadlines. The solutions that were available at the time did not provide what I was looking for and were not compatible with a Linux-based workflow.

So, I started to write my own project management tool that would work well with my style of working. TaskJuggler grew quickly and being Open Source it was adopted by many other users and even some developers. During this time, I learned a lot about project management software and realized some of the design mistakes I had made. About 5 years ago, I felt that it was time to make use of the lessons learned and start over again. That journey took much longer than I thought, but I'm happy to announce that I've reached a point where this new version has matured enough to be called a stable release again.

With that, I'm happy to announce that the first stable release of TaskJuggler III is ready for immediate download.
TaskJuggler 3.0.0 is a modern and very powerful, open source project management system that runs on Linux, Unix-like operating systems, Windows and MacOSX.

Features
  • Manages tasks, resources and accounts of your project
  • Automatic resource leveling and tasks conflict resolution
  • Comprehensive and flexible reports so you can find the information you need when you need it
  • Project tracking and status reporting with dashboard support
  • Time and status sheet reporting infrastructure
  • Unlimited number of scenarios (baselines) of the same project for what-if analysis
  • Projects can be combined to larger projects
  • Project breakdown and management team support
  • Multiple project managers can work on the same project
  • Flexible working hours and vacation handling
  • Support for shift working
  • Multiple time zone support
  • Tasks may have initial costs, finishing costs
  • Resources may have running costs
  • Support for profit/loss analysis
  • HTML reports for Web publishing
  • CSV data export for exchange with popular office software
  • iCalendar export for data exchange with calendar applications
  • Project description syntax with macro support
  • Built-in web server for dynamic and interactive reports
  • Powerful and flexible filtering functions to provide the right amount of detail to the right audience
  • Server based time sheet system for status and actual collection
  • Powerful project description syntax with macro support
  • Support for central resource allocation database
  • Scales well on multi-core or multi-CPU systems
  • Full integration with Vim text editor
  • Runs on all Linux, Unix-like systems, Windows, MacOS and several other operating systems
  • Simple installation
  • Detailed reference manual
  • Support for project management teams and revision control

Installation

To install TaskJuggler, see the installation instructions.

In case you find a bug, please follow the steps described in the manual.

Developers and other folks that want to contribute are encouraged to check
out our Git repository.

More Information

TaskJuggler is a modern and powerful, Free and Open Source Software project management tool. Its new approach to project planing and tracking is more flexible and superior to the commonly used Gantt chart editing tools.

TaskJuggler is project management software for serious project managers. It covers the complete spectrum of project management tasks from the first idea to the completion of the project. It assists you during project scoping, resource assignment, cost and revenue planing, risk and communication management.

TaskJuggler provides an optimizing scheduler that computes your project time lines and resource assignments based on the project outline and the constraints that you have provided. The built-in resource balancer and consistency checker offload you from having to worry about irrelevant details and ring the alarm if the project gets out of hand. The flexible as-many-details-as-necessary approach allows you to plan your project as you go, making it also ideal for new management strategies such as Extreme Programming and Agile Project Management.

Thanks to all Contributors and Users

Over the past 10 years, many people contributed to the project in may ways. The list is too large to list them all and I'm sure I'll forget somebody! TaskJuggler has been shipped with many Linux distributions and even the TaskJuggler beta versions have been downloaded almost 15.000 times by now. Thank you! You have helped to make TaskJuggler the great program that it is today!

Chris