TaskJuggler III has reached the beta test phase: Version 0.1.0 has been released

Chris Schlaeger

Jun 6, 2011, 3:46:46 PM6/6/11
to taskjuggle...@googlegroups.com
Hi TaskJuggler Users!

About 4 1/2 years ago, I started to rewrite TaskJuggler 2.x in Ruby. What started as a curiosity project has now become the next generation of TaskJuggler. During this time TaskJuggler III has seen 11 alpha releases and the number of users has grown constantly. Due to the nature of Open Source Software, I don't know the exact number, but each version has been downloaded from RubyGems at least 1000 times. And I haven't counted the downloads from the TaskJuggler web site and I have no idea how many people use it directly from the Git repository. I'm happy to see that so many people see value in the software that started out to scratch a personal itch I had.

Today, TaskJuggler III enters a new phase. I've just uploaded the first beta test version. The change log lists again many changes. As I wanted to clean up the syntax before entering the beta phase, the upgrade to 0.1.0 is probably a little more complex than usual. You may have to make some changes to existing projects to adapt them to the new syntax. This will hopefully be an exception.

As usual, this version comes with many new features. Please see the change log for details. But I'd like to highlight the new project freeze feature. By using the --freeze option to tj3 you can now freeze the progress of your project up to the current moment or a date your specify. This should simplify project tracking quite a bit.

This release also contains dozens of bug fixes, so I recommend that all TaskJuggler users upgrade to 0.1.0 at their earliest convenience. Download and install information can be found in the manual. Bugs should be reported at GitHub. See this page for details.

There will be a few more beta versions before we hit the stable 3.0.0 release. These releases will be called 0.2.0, 0.3.0 and so on. I may do minor releases to fix major bugs quickly. I'm still planning to release 3.0.0 this year.

Happy Juggling,
Chris