How can I set my phone to Night Mode But Only When Driving

65 views
Skip to first unread message

Scott Miller

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 12:05:17 PMSep 7
to Tasker
I recently replaced my Samsung Galaxy S21FE with a new Galaxy S26 Plus. I used the Samsung Smart Switch app to move my data, and while not perfect, it was faster than the alternatives. I spent the better part of two days working on my Tasker tasks to get everything working. Most problems had nothing to do with Tasker. There is one thing I cannot currently do. I have one profile that activates when I have the phone connected to my car and a plugin identifies my location and identifies the time of sunrise and sunset for the current day. The plugin is called Twilight and is no longer available on any app store. I used this plugin to activate the profile between sunset and sunrise when connected to the car, which would then activate nightmode on the phone. This was handy because it switched my driving apps to nightmode as well. I want to replace this plugin, but I am not sure what exists to enable that. I thought maybe I can use ADB and get the APK from the old phone, but I don't know if that is possible. I have not tried it. If there is a native way to do this, I would prefer it, or if there is another plugin that can duplicate it that would be acceptable. Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott M.

Scott Miller

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 2:21:26 PMSep 7
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I might have found a simple solution that I was not aware was even possible. Instead of using a plug-in to determine sunrise and sunset, I simply set night mode to auto when I am in the car and set it to off when I am not. Apparently Android can do this on its own. I don't know if it will be as accurate. Time will tell.

Scott

On Mon, Sep 7, 2026, 12:05 PM Scott Miller <sjmill...@gmail.com> wrote:
I recently replaced my Samsung Galaxy S21FE with a new Galaxy S26 Plus. I used the Samsung Smart Switch app to move my data, and while not perfect, it was faster than the alternatives. I spent the better part of two days working on my Tasker tasks to get everything working. Most problems had nothing to do with Tasker. There is one thing I cannot currently do. I have one profile that activates when I have the phone connected to my car and a plugin identifies my location and identifies the time of sunrise and sunset for the current day. The plugin is called Twilight and is no longer available on any app store. I used this plugin to activate the profile between sunset and sunrise when connected to the car, which would then activate nightmode on the phone. This was handy because it switched my driving apps to nightmode as well. I want to replace this plugin, but I am not sure what exists to enable that. I thought maybe I can use ADB and get the APK from the old phone, but I don't know if that is possible. I have not tried it. If there is a native way to do this, I would prefer it, or if there is another plugin that can duplicate it that would be acceptable. Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott M.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tasker" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tasker+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tasker/b28d8968-435a-4ecf-88b6-0e4ff3077d84n%40googlegroups.com.

M. H. (WehZet)

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 8:48:34 AMSep 9
to Tasker
in the newest Beta there is a new action called " Get Sunrise/Sunset Times". I guess this can replace the plug-in

Scott Miller

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 9:15:21 AMSep 9
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I saw something about that, and now I found it, but it is an action. I can't use that in a profile. I was able to extract the Twilight app from my old phone and install it on the new phone, and it still works. But it turns out that both apps I was trying to control already do it automatically. They didn't when I set this up originally. I don't really need this now.

Thanks for getting me to the right spot for that action, though. I might want to use that elsewhere.

Scott M.

M. H. (WehZet)

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 9:21:50 AMSep 9
to Tasker
ah yes, you are right. This was a misunderstanding on my side. But you could make a profile which checks e.g. every 10 minutes for sunrise and sunset and save it in a variable. Or just check when connecting with cars bluetooth. Just if you like to keep everything inside of Tasker.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages