Call screening and voicemail

Pete Phillips

Nov 6, 2021, 8:12:13 PMNov 6
to Tasker
Hi

I have set up call screening so that when one particular number calls me it goes to voicemail (using the call screening Disallow and I also tick the Reject box in the task). However I would rather prevent it getting that far -is there any way to prevent the caller leaving a voicemail ?

I have seen some posts for previous versions where it is recommended to accept the call followed immediately by a rejection, but that doesn't seem to work in the latest version of Tasker(5.14.6 on a poco x3 pro).

Cheers
Pete

jmjc...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2021, 3:28:22 AMNov 7
to Tasker
It should work. Please share your profile/task description: Long click on profile name -> 3-dot menu -> export -> description to clipboard. Then paste it here.

Pete Phillips

Nov 7, 2021, 6:30:14 AMNov 7
to Tasker
What I'm trying to do is to screen a certain number at night.  I have a tasker profile which does that and works:

    Profile: Divert XXX To Voicemail (11-7)
    Settings: Restore: no
    Time: From 10:30PM Till  7:30AM
    Event: Call Screened [ Output Variables:* Caller:*number to block* ]

    Enter Task: BlockCall

    A1: Call Screening [
         Disallow/Allow: Disallow
         Reject: On ]

That works well, but the caller can leave a voicemail, and I want to prevent them doing this.

I read some posts which recommended accepting the call and then ending it.  This is what I have tried:

Profile: Divert To Voicemail From XXXXX
    Settings: Restore: no
    Event: Call Screened [ Output Variables:* Caller:*numbertoscreen* ]

    Enter Task: BlockCallNovoicemail

    A1: Take Call

    A2: End Call [ ]

but the call comes through as normal.   The Run Log says:

20211107 11.10.18 T Running  ID7      BlockCallNovoicemail
20211107 11.10.18 A OK       ID7.1    BlockCallNovoicemail.Take Call
20211107 11.10.18 A OK       ID7.2    BlockCallNovoicemail.End Call
20211107 11.10.19 T ExitOK   ID7      BlockCallNovoicemail
20211107 11.10.19 E Stop     ID0:0.0  TaskService

Note that at some stage it said I needed to run some adb commands to get end call up and running on this phone (its new - I was running tasker on an Android 9 until last week)  - I started to follow the tasker instructions and got as far as the adb tcpip 5555, but no further, and now I no longer get prompted about the End Call issue, so I'm not sure if that is one of the issues here.

I may be approaching this from the wrong end as well - perhaps there is a way to use the Call Screening stuff to block a call and prevent it going to voicemail ?

Pete

jmjc...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2021, 10:04:10 AMNov 7
to Tasker
Insert a Wait action, e.g. for 1 second, between Take Call and End Call.  And see if it works.

Pete Phillips

Nov 7, 2021, 5:51:33 PMNov 7
to Tasker
Sadly that doesn't make any difference.

The call just comes through as normal. The run log is the same as above with an extra line for the wait for 1 second.

If my version of Android (11) is blocking End Call, would that show in the Run Log ?

Pete

PS: and thanks for helping me on this - much appreciated.

Pete Phillips

Nov 7, 2021, 6:11:06 PMNov 7
to Tasker
Just ran with end call on its own - it doesn't work, so until I can get end call to work I guess it's pointless trying the more sophisticated elements of this!

I have run "adb tcpip 5555" on the phone (Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro) - is there anything else I need to to do to get End Call to work?

Pete

jmjc...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2021, 9:31:30 PMNov 7
to Tasker
If you have ADB Wifi, instead if End Call, try this:

ADB Wifi:
Command: input keyevent KEYCODE_ENDCALL

jmjc...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2021, 9:46:30 PMNov 7
to Tasker
You can also try Java's Telecom Manager. If the ADB Wifi action doesn't work, let me know and I will show you the Java method.

Pete Phillips

Nov 14, 2021, 10:54:27 AMNov 14
to Tasker
OK - I've tried the ADB Wifi suggestion. This is the profile:

    Profile: Divert To Voicemail From Home (11-7)
    Settings: Restore: no
    Event: Call Screened [ Output Variables:* Caller:*1656663692* ]

    Enter Task: BlockCallNovoicemail

    A1: ADB Wifi [
         Command: input keyevent KEYCODE_ENDCALL
         Timeout (Seconds): 1 ]

That is not working either I'm afraid.  Have I done it correctly ?

Pete

jmjc...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2021, 6:06:35 PMNov 14
to Tasker
The ADB Wifi is to end the call. Therefore, you will still need the Take Call action first.