Media volume

Bruce Klein

Dec 31, 2021, 12:44:18 AM12/31/21
to Tasker
I recently upgraded my phone to a Pixel 6 Pro and am running the latest version of Tasker.  I have a simple profile that at 8:00am runs a task that changes the media volume from 0 to 9.  That has not been working on my Pixel 6 Pro, the other volume controls seem to work.  It's also interesting that the Tasker media volume button slider goes up to 25 maximum, the other volume slider go much lower.

Bruce

Dec 31, 2021, 1:32:07 PM12/31/21
to Tasker
Never mind about the question.  My bad as I didn't realize that the Profile had Restore Settings checked.  I believe it now works once I unchecked it.  I checked my old phone and Restore Settings was not checked.  Not sure how it got checked on my new phone, probably I accidently hit it.

Which brings me to more questions on Restore Setting.

1) If the task called by a Profile that has Restore Settings checked, and if that task calls another task before the 1st task continues and that 2nd task changes a setting, does that setting from the 2nd task get Restored when the 1st task ends?

2) If I run a task, let's say for testing, and that task changes a setting, when the task ends does the setting get Restored?  Or do the settings get Restored only when a Profile starts a task with Restored Settings checked in the Profile?

3) Why does the media volume slider in Tasker go to 25 when the other volume sliders go to 7-10?

4) My Pixel 6 Pro phone has a System volume but Tasker does not have that volume control, is there a reason?

RSF

Dec 31, 2021, 5:12:34 PM12/31/21
to Tasker
Re: #1: Tasker's Action documentation says " When [Perform Task] is used as part of an Enter task, the settings it contains are *not* restored when the profile exits." Seems like only the top-level task has its actions reset.
Re: #2: Strongly doubt it... the auto-reset scheme seems tightly tied to profiles (and non-instant profiles, at that). Could test this pretty quickly, but this Tasker Settings documentation says "Settings are actions like Display Brightness and Ringer Volume whose effects are reversed by Tasker when the profile(s) which applied them are no longer active."
Re: #3: Guessing, but maybe media requires finer control since one could be listening to music with lots of complexity etc. etc. vs. a ringtone?

Dave W, BSEE,MSCE,OOP

Dec 31, 2021, 5:36:32 PM12/31/21
to Tasker
I hear ya.  I often accidentally disable something in profiles.  If I'm lucky, I won't spend hours tracking down the problem.
(1) . I never enable restore settings. I'm a control freak. 🤣😂🤣😂
(2) A task outside of profiles does not restore settings.
(3) Android has had trouble standardizing media volume values.  25 is a bit of overkill.  I suppose it's been increased for those with very sensitive ears.
(4) For my Samsung phone, Tasker has a System volume control.  Surprisingly, I can't see alarm volume in Samsung settings. 😭😪😭😪
HTH

Bruce

Jan 2, 2022, 1:08:16 PMJan 2
to Tasker