Connect to Specfic SSID not working

...o0) D (0o...

Jul 12, 2022, 9:01:37 PM7/12/22
to Tasker
I have a device that requires me to connect my phone to its own generated Wifi SSID when I want to use it. I have been trying to get Tasker to watch for the SSID and connect when it detects it but I cant get it to work. The task to actually join works however I believe the problem is with the Profile section where it watches the network for the change. Ive tried a number of ways and I think im just too new to how this works. Ive tried:

Profile > State > Net > Wifi Near > SSID (Added SSID to box)
  Task to Join same SSID

Ive also tried:

Profile > State > Net > Wifi Connected > SSID (Added SSID to box)
  Task to Join same SSID

I even tried inverting that last one. I installed and tried the Connect to Wifi / AutoTools / Tasker Settings plugins. The task works fine when I manually run it or the SSID is within range when the profile is turned on. What I need is for it to constantly look for it and connect when it sees it. My guess is this is user error and I am missing something simple.Could someone be kind enough to help me figure out what im doing wrong with this task?

João Dias

Jul 13, 2022, 4:59:33 AM7/13/22
to Tasker
Hi. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you simply enable automatic connecting to that Wifi SSID in Android Settings?

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

...o0) D (0o...

Jul 13, 2022, 10:48:14 PM7/13/22
to Tasker
I tried checking for that option but don't see it on my phone (crappy LG K51). It's got the network saved but it will always be connected to my main WiFi so even when this device network pops up it doesn't blink just stays on the home one. I've tried to find advanced settings to set the priority of the ssids but haven't had any luck so that's when I thought tasker might be able to do it.

João Dias

Jul 14, 2022, 4:22:20 AM7/14/22
to Tasker
Oh I see :)

The problem in Tasker may be that scanning for nearby wifi networks is now sadly being limited by Android to once every 30 minutes. This will make that profile much slower than it should be...

Would you say that if you waited half an hour that the profile works?

...o0) D (0o...

Jul 14, 2022, 5:30:20 PM7/14/22
to Tasker
I think you are right on that as the problem. If I wait until my Android Tasker notification says "No active profiles (1 of 1 enabled)"  and then broadcast my device SSID the notification changes to "Wifi Near" and it connects, however, if I then disconnect it stays at "Wifi Near" for a very long time (Maybe about the 30m you mentioned). During that time it will not reconnect. If I wait for the notification to change back to "No active profiles" and try the SSID again it reconnects. In the meantime I just made a widget on my phone that linked to the connect task so I just manually push that. But thnx for helping me figure out what was going on. Thought I was doing something wrong.

João Dias

Jul 15, 2022, 4:53:35 AM7/15/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Glad we figured it out. A shame that it can't work any faster than that!

jmjc...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2022, 8:42:05 AM7/27/22
to Tasker
I have a task that scans nearby wifi/ssid once per minute. I use that for tracking my location when needed. It has been working for months. Am I not understanding the 30-minute restriction? I am on A12 by the way.