Tasker Infinitely turning off screen. Please HELP

Ahmed Jalal

Jan 16, 2023, 6:32:30 PM1/16/23
to Tasker

Hello,

I'm new to Tasker, and wanted to integrate into my Home Assistant setup. I installed tasker. The first thing I wanted to try is to make a task that does two things:

  1. Dim the brightness to 0%

  2. Turn the screen off

Basically wanted to incorporate this with Home Assistant automations at night. Anyhow I made the task, and pressed the play button at the bottom, I thought this would perform the above action once, but my phone keeps performing the action infinitely if I don't touch the phone for more than few seconds.

What I tried to fix the issue:

  1. I canceled/deleted the task. Still my phone is dimming and turning the screen off

  2. Tried disabling tasker, still no luck

  3. Went to monitoring → running tasks (found it empty) → pressed stop all tasks. Still nothing.

  4. Restarting phone multiple times

  5. Clearing Tasker's storage

  6. Uninstalling tasker and restarting

Nothing worked. My phone still dims and then screen turns off after few seconds of inactivity.

Please help,

Thank you and kind regards,

Brenden M

Jan 17, 2023, 3:21:05 AM1/17/23
to Tasker
Try factory reset and starting over.

Brenden M

Jan 17, 2023, 3:21:32 AM1/17/23
to Tasker
Or first, safe mode. Try increasing Display Screen Timeout setting

ktmom

Jan 17, 2023, 7:54:29 AM1/17/23
to Tasker
Factory resetting is the nuclear option.  Safe mode, while better, will reset all of the settings on the device to stock and is also a last resort.

Go into your device settings and check the display options for sanity.  Specifically "timeout" and "brightness".  Maybe "doze" or AOD (Always on Display).  If Tasker was making a change to a home automation app, then you need to check the configuration of that app as well.

Disabling Tasker is sufficient to prevent tasks from running.  Once a change is made to the device in a task, it is set and will stay set until a task resetting the change is run.

Deleting the task has prevented you from being able to post exactly what the task actions were so you could get specific help on the actions you invoked.  It also helps to know what device and what OS is being used.

Ahmed Jalal

Jan 24, 2023, 9:44:40 AM1/24/23
to Tasker
Thank you all,

I was able to finally fix it,

I went to device settings and found that display timeout was changed to 1 second. Increased it and that fixed the issue. I don't know how and why tasker changed that but that is what happened. I hope this helps someone who might have the same issue in the future. For reference my device is a Galaxy s10 Plus.

Kind regards,

aa6vh

Jan 24, 2023, 10:25:58 AM1/24/23
to Tasker
As I recall, Tasker had to set the timeout to 1 sec in order to accomplish some other thing. It was enough of a nuisance that I added a statement: Set Display Timeout to 120 (2 minutes) if Display timeout (%DTOUT) =1 in my screen on profile. Never see the problem now.