Hangouts doesn't clear Unread Text state

UncleMike

Aug 22, 2014, 9:05:43 PM8/22/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I use the Messaging app for SMS on my Moto X, but recently switched to Hangouts as my SMS app to do some testing. It appears that Hangouts doesn't clear the Unread Text state monitored by Tasker once you've read all SMS. In fact, messages read in Hangouts still show as unread in the Messaging app.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Brad Minion

Aug 23, 2014, 9:15:25 AM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
UncleMike,

Are you able to get Tasker to work with received Hangouts SMS messages only or does it work with non-SMS Hangouts messages as well? Some family members use Hangouts for their default text message app, but most of the time they send standard Hangout messages. I've been trying to figure out if I can "say" Hangouts messages when driving in the car but so far no luck.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, UncleMike <mqui...@metroconnectonline.com> wrote:
I use the Messaging app for SMS on my Moto X, but recently switched to Hangouts as my SMS app to do some testing.  It appears that Hangouts doesn't clear the Unread Text state monitored by Tasker once you've read all SMS.  In fact, messages read in Hangouts still show as unread in the Messaging app.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

John Doe

Aug 23, 2014, 9:23:59 AM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I use "say" in my car with Hangout messages (no SMS via Hangout) catching the notification and using the ticker where Hangouts report you the message. I use notification listener to do that. I don't know if Hangout management of SMS is the same or not.

Brad Minion

Aug 23, 2014, 9:37:29 AM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I use notification listener to do that.

"notification listener" - I'm not familiar with that. Is that an app or something within Tasker? And, thanks for the info.

John Doe

Aug 23, 2014, 10:00:41 AM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

UncleMike

Aug 23, 2014, 3:45:41 PM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The Received Text event fires and the Unread Text state becomes active upon receipt of an SMS regardless of whether I'm using Messaging or Hangouts as my default SMS app. I'm not using notifications as a context at all. When I read the SMS that just arrived using Messaging, the Unread Text state is properly cleared, but if I read the SMS using Hangouts the Unread Text state is not cleared.

I'm not attempting to detect Hangouts messages at all.

Brad Minion

Aug 23, 2014, 7:06:10 PM8/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you UncleMike and John Doe for solving my Hangouts message issue. This not only solved messages, both text and standard, in Hangouts but it also solved the problem I had with MMS messages. With this plug-in I was able to get them all to work. Thanks!