Complete list of events which indicate that the device is not "idle"

Soudane GMTA

Dec 7, 2021, 12:42:14 PM12/7/21
to Tasker
I want a profile (or group of profiles, if necessary) to trigger a task whenver it appears that there was some user activity on my device.

I know I can trigger on Display On and Unlocked, but I'd like to know if there is an event which gets triggered when any user activity takes place: button press, touch screen, etc.

If there isn't a single event like this, I'd like to come up with a complete list of individual events, each of which would indicate some sort of user action.

I can figure this out by trial and error, but I'm wondering if this information is already known. If so, could someone point me to this information?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dave W

Dec 7, 2021, 10:40:01 PM12/7/21
to Tasker
I suppose it's doable.  But Tasker can't do this kind of thing very well.  I stick with Application state profiles, the New Window event and AutoInput screen state detection.  I'm successful doing what I want to do 95% of time.

Scott Ballard

Dec 8, 2021, 9:04:20 AM12/8/21
to Tasker
You can use AutoInput's  UI Action and UI Update events for this.

Soudane GMTA

Dec 8, 2021, 5:22:03 PM12/8/21
to Tasker

All of those suggested profiles are indeed getting me close to what I want ... and probably as close as anyone can get.

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 6:09:57 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
You're welcome.  I felt the need to be more specific.  Use application state profiles to detect when apps are in the foreground.  Use the New Window event to detect when system windows are in the foreground.  I use global variables to tell me when a scene is in the foreground. But you may be able to make New Window event also detect scenes.  What's left to detect is your homescreen or Tasker itself in the foreground.  These two are particularly tricky.  Tasker cannot reliably tell when your homescreen is in the foreground.  So you make AutoInput detect when a homescreen widget is visible, which yields the same result.  Making Tasker detect itself in the foreground is pretty much all that's left.
HTH

Soudane GMTA

Dec 11, 2021, 5:34:53 PM12/11/21
to Tasker
Yes, this does indeed help. Thank you very much!

Dave W

Dec 11, 2021, 6:06:59 PM12/11/21
to Tasker
You're welcome again. But I did forget a window, that being your homescreen's app drawer.  If you want to know when the app drawer is being shown, you'll have to play another AutoInput trick.