Desktop Visualizer plugin woes

nmyshkin

May 23, 2023, 1:01:19 PM5/23/23
to Tasker
I have created a pair of Tasker apps which should be portable but the behavior of Desktop Visualizer and the limitations of its plugin are making that appear impossible.

The issue: the plugin relies on a widget ID# which cannot be replaced by a variable. I've tried to work with this, but every time I install Desktop Visualizer on another device the widget count appears to start at some random value (3, 5, 12, 1, etc.). Since this value can't be seen anywhere in the data folder for the app (information there appears to be deliberately obfuscated), the Tasker apps need to be custom made for each instance, edited at the xml level.

Well, that won't work for me.

Any ideas on a work-around?

João Dias

May 24, 2023, 5:37:29 AM5/24/23
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hhmm, what's this "Desktop Visualizer" you mention?

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

nmyshkin

May 25, 2023, 10:40:46 AM5/25/23
to Tasker
It's an old app (now gone from the PlayStore for being so old) that facilitates creating custom widgets and shortcuts. I'm running it on an e-reader (Android 2.1).

After more reading I'm inclined to think the widgetID# issue is just Android being Android. So the real issue is the inability to enter a variable for the widgetID#. I doubt the developer ever thought about the app being used as a plugin by a Tasker app. When accessed through Tasker itself you can only use an existing widgetID#. I have been editing the xml files with my own ID# but with the numbers seemingly random on each installation that approach is failing.