Shortcut icons reverting to default after system boot

Rick Macdonald

Jan 29, 2013, 12:01:21 AM1/29/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I found other similar threads to this but they were all trying to use custom icons.

I'm using the Built-In Icons (Volume on, Volume mute) for my home page shortcut icons. After a system boot they revert to the default Tasker icon. In the Tasks list in Tasker, the proper icon is still selected for the task, but somehow the icon for the shortcut on the home page gets changed to the default.

My phone is a Galaxy Note II, Jelly Bean 4.1.1. If it matters, the shortcuts are on the middle page of my 5 home pages, not the first one. I think in some contexts the first page is somehow special.

Pent

Jan 29, 2013, 4:12:11 AM1/29/13
to Tasker
As I mentioned on the other threads: Tasker only has an influence on
its shortcuts when they are first created.

After that, if the shortcut displays correctly when it's just created,
any problem with the shortcut is an Android problem.

Pent

hollywoodfrodo

Jan 29, 2013, 10:50:13 AM1/29/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Are you using a custom launcher?  Most custom launchers allow you to change the icon for any app/shortcut on your home pages via the launcher itself which might give you better results as this is likely an issue with Touchwiz (Samsung's native launcher) if that's what you're using.

Rick Macdonald

Jan 29, 2013, 5:59:59 PM1/29/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I'm using the Samsung native launcher.

Besides the icon changing, the title is also lost and all 3 shortcuts look the same and say "Tasker". I see that if I use a widget instead of a shortcut, it's OK. I tried to switch to shortcuts since the shortcut's appearance matches all the other app shortcuts. The tasker widgets look quite different.

I guess I'll switch back to using widgets.

Rick

hollywoodfrodo

Jan 30, 2013, 8:47:24 AM1/30/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
...Or maybe give another launcher a try. Almost any of them are better than Samsung's...

Rick Macdonald

Jan 30, 2013, 3:11:06 PM1/30/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Is the "launcher" just the 5 or so home pages, and how you populate them with folders and icons, or is there more than that that gets "replaced" when installing another launcher? Is the "status" page that you can swipe into view part of the launcher? The lock screen?

Rick

Rick Macdonald

Feb 21, 2013, 10:54:10 AM2/21/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I worked around this by switching to another launcher (Go Launcher EX). It also solved the problem of the Tasker Accessibility option triggering a bug in Android that announces "FOLDER OPEN" every time you open a home page folder.

Rick

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:22:52 AM UTC-7, Ian Francis wrote:
I have exactly the same problem , but on a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.  Jelly Bean 4.1.1.  The shortcut is on screen 2 of 4.  Using the standard Samsung Launcher.

The icon & Label show fine within Tasker, but as soon as I reboot, it reverts to the Tasker cog wheel, and label of Tasker, but still shows the correct icon/label in Tasker.

george...@googlemail.com

Jul 4, 2013, 11:00:51 AM7/4/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Are you sure about that, on my Note2 when it reboots the correct icon is shown initially, but as soon as tasker restarts it gets replaced with the default.

Jay M

Jul 5, 2013, 5:04:09 AM7/5/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I have about 7 shortcuts with custom icons and the icons never default so it could be your launcher, I use Next Launcher And Apex I have Apex set to keep in memory to reduce redraws so maybe your launchers redrawing and its messing up your shortcuts.

Note 2

AOKP 4.2.2

Jay M

Dorknight

Sep 10, 2013, 8:11:44 PM9/10/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I was having the same problem on my EVO 3D, and stumbled across a workaround to the problem. Changing the skin seems to do the trick, at least for my phone. After I did that, I noticed all my shortcut icons were back.

For my phone, I went into "Settings", then went to "Personalize", Then chose "Display",  and from there chose "Skin" and changing to a new skin did the trick for me.

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:22:52 AM UTC-8, Ian Francis wrote:
I have exactly the same problem , but on a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.  Jelly Bean 4.1.1.  The shortcut is on screen 2 of 4.  Using the standard Samsung Launcher.

The icon & Label show fine within Tasker, but as soon as I reboot, it reverts to the Tasker cog wheel, and label of Tasker, but still shows the correct icon/label in Tasker.

DJ Funky T

Sep 18, 2013, 9:48:45 AM9/18/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The exact same thing happened to me when I updated from ICS to JB. The icons were working fine in ICS.

Haven't found a solution yet.

DJ Funky T

Sep 18, 2013, 9:49:50 AM9/18/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention that I'm using an international version Galaxy Note.

Björn Mårtensson

Sep 26, 2013, 6:00:55 PM9/26/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem with Galaxy S4 running 4.2.2.

I tried to report it as a bug to Samsung, so hopefully they will fix this.
http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=General&messageId=245391&startId=zzzzz~

Cheers,
Bjorn

Steve Mills

Apr 23, 2014, 4:46:45 PM4/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just to add to the pile, I have the same problem on my Galaxy Note 3 using TouchWiz.

Jay M

Apr 23, 2014, 5:22:20 PM4/23/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Did you read the thread? Its a TW problem you need to contact Samsung.

Jay M

On 23 Apr 2014 21:46, "Steve Mills" <sdem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to add to the pile, I have the same problem on my Galaxy Note 3 using TouchWiz.

Steve Mills

Apr 24, 2014, 4:37:20 AM4/24/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I did read the thread but...

[a] It's only started happening over this last week and TouchWiz to my knowledge has not changed - so I'm not convinced, and

[b] My Note3 is rooted so there's no point in asking Samsung for support - and it also means no automatic updates from Samsung have occurred either.

I notice when placing the Widget, on the list of widgets there are both Task and Task Shortcut. The "faulty" items were added as widget Task so now I'm trying them as widget Task Shortcut to see whether that makes any difference. It is not clear to me what the difference is supposed to be?

If that doesn't work then I will use the Zoom widget to put them on the desktop for that has no such issue - it just takes more effort to do it.

PS my icons have been reverting at random (it's not simply a reboot thing) and my gut feel is that the phone is very busy at the time and TouchWiz is trying to get something from Tasker and fails (just for the moment) and gives up and reverts the icon. Maybe it's just the icon image link or something it is trying to get from the Tasker Task?

Pent

Apr 25, 2014, 3:02:33 AM4/25/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
If it's widgets that aren't working, then it has not much to do with this thread, please start another one.

Shortcuts are 'drawn' by Android, widgets by Tasker.

Pent

Steve Mills

Apr 28, 2014, 12:07:00 PM4/28/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It happens regardless of whether I use a Task shortcut or a Tasker widget.

So I'm now using Zoom which lets me launch the same Tasker task but reliably remains on the desktop.

Emanuel Moecklin

May 11, 2014, 11:39:09 PM5/11/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
While it's true that a shortcut is configured but once by the app there might still be a "hidden" cause for the problem (besides TouchWiz being buggy).
I had the same issue with one of my own apps and it turned out that enabling/disabling another (unrelated) component programmatically caused the launcher to lose the icon and in my case the custom name.
I did something like this:
PackageManager pkMgr = context.getPackageManager();
String packageName = context.getPackageName();
ComponentName component = new ComponentName(packageName, className);
pkMgr.setComponentEnabledSetting(component, PackageManager.COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE_ENABLED, PackageManager.DONT_KILL_APP);
or
pkMgr.setComponentEnabledSetting(component, PackageManager.COMPONENT_ENABLED_STATE_DISABLED, PackageManager.DONT_KILL_APP);

Removing this code made sure the shortcut wasn't reset after a reboot. I verified the issue (and the fix) on a S3 and a Note 2. None of the non-Samsung devices I tested had the issue in the first place.

Pent

May 12, 2014, 2:45:29 AM5/12/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Removing this code made sure the shortcut wasn't reset after a reboot. I verified the issue (and the fix) on a S3 and a Note 2. None of the non-Samsung devices I tested had the issue in the first place.

Interesting, thanks a lot, it's good to have a likely cause.

I think I'm not going to stop enabling/disabling unneeded components because of a bug in some Samsung ROMs though.

Pent

Fabio P.

Jun 25, 2014, 7:05:03 PM6/25/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I have the same problem with Tasker shortcuts disappearing at boot on TouchWiz, I didn't disable any package.
Did someone find other solutions?

Marta Hintz

Jun 26, 2014, 10:52:42 AM6/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Use another widget creator like zoom or minimal or zooper.

Stephane Tanguay

Jul 16, 2014, 10:59:25 AM7/16/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Use this app to create your Tasker shorcut, it will stay after reboot on TW launcher !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jy.iconchanger.ad&hl=fr