Please add WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission to the Manifest

Loren Ipsem

Sep 17, 2017, 5:34:42 PM9/17/17
to Tasker
There is an incredible amount of functionality that we can use for automation purposes if you have access to the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission.

For example, on any device through ADB if you type:

settings list global
settings list secure

You have access to a TON of potentially useful things for automation. Right now, the only way to really use these kinds of commands in Tasker is to use either the SecureTask or AutoTools plugin, OR to export an app using Tasker App Factory and have THAT request android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS as an "Extra Permission."

This shouldn't be necessary. I and many others would love for this to be built in to Tasker. There doesn't even need to be an extra Action for this, just have the permission in the Manifest so we can successfully grant it via ADB. Then we can call simple Java functions to change these settings (literally two lines).

eg. with this permission you can code Tasker to dynamically change the nav bar without needing a plugin via Settings.Secure.sysui_nav_bar

Dave B

Sep 17, 2017, 9:27:49 PM9/17/17
to Tasker
You could easily decompile, modify manifest, recompile and sign no?

Dave

Loren Ipsem

Sep 17, 2017, 9:49:18 PM9/17/17
to Tasker
Yes, but then I would be keeping a parallel version of Tasker for myself every time and every time a new update hits I would have to keep doing this. Plus this means I can't share any tasks/profiles/projects using this with people, because their Tasker app wouldn't be the same and so they would need to refactor everything using AutoTools/SecureTask.

Pretty unnecessary. Why not just add it to the Tasker app so everyone can enjoy it?

Pent

Sep 18, 2017, 6:02:21 AM9/18/17
to Tasker
Once I've released the last minor update for the 5.0 version I'll put it in for
the beta of 5.1. Could imagine it causing problems on some devices.

Pent

Loren Ipsem

Sep 19, 2017, 1:25:05 PM9/19/17
to Tasker
Thanks for the update! Glad to see it finally being included.