Profiles firing delayed when display is off. Any workaround?

jmjc...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2021, 4:52:55 AMJul 1
to Tasker
I am working on a time critical project and requires my profiles to fire right on time when an event happens. But I notice that profiles don't fire immediately when an event happens but are delayed when display is off. No, tasker is not killed when display is off. Those profiles do fire eventually but some are delayed for a few seconds and some are delayed a lot longer.

Take one example. I have an Intent Received profile with the TIME_TICK intent. This profile should fire every minute at the minute, e.g. 15:00:00, 15:01:00, 15:02:00 and etc. When display is kept on, this is exactly what is happening. But when display is off, the profile almost never fires at the minute but 5-10 seconds later and sometimes even 30 seconds later. This is true for other profiles as well. When I did my test, my phone was not in heavy load,  therefore not because the phone was too busy to process.....

I guess it has to do with Android's doze/sleep mode. Is there anything we could do to fix this?

João Dias

Jul 1, 2021, 6:15:40 AMJul 1
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi there.
To make sure Tasker and the AutoApps run in the foreground please check here: https://tasker.joaoapps.com/userguide/en/faqs/faq-problem.html#00

Pay special attention to the location part. If Tasker doesn't have permission to get location in the background it might not work correctly, so disable and re-enable the location permission and make sure that you allow Tasker to always access it.

Make sure to check here too: https://dontkillmyapp.com/?app=Tasker

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

jmjc...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2021, 7:11:48 AMJul 1
to Tasker
Everything is set up correctly. If you have the time to create one profile with the TIME_TICK intent, and then observe the time it triggers when display is on vs off. You will know what I mean.

João Dias

Jul 1, 2021, 10:02:14 AMJul 1
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The problem is that Tasker doesn't delay it, so there's really nothing I can do to fix that issue. Does maybe the Tick event in Tasker work better for you?

jmjc...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2021, 11:24:24 AMJul 1
to Tasker
Thanks Joao. Yes, for this particular example, the Tick event can replace this Intent. But for other intents or logcat events, it behaves the same way and I can't replace them with something else.

For example, I have a logcat event context that waits for a certain event. When display is on, as soon as the log is created, the profile triggers within 1-2 seconds. When display is off, the profile doesn't trigger until 5,10, 30 or more seconds later. You know Tasker has the display on and off monitoring check times for wifi, but, net and etc. Seems like it is the same with intents and logcats. When display is off, the response time is a lot slower than when display is on.

For now, my workaround is to use a 10-second Tick and check the logs manually. This guarantees the response time is no worse than 10 seconds.

This could well be caused by Android. I have noticed that if display is off but phone is being charged, it behaves as if display is on, no delay.

Thanks again.

João Dias

Jul 1, 2021, 11:29:10 AMJul 1
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yep, it is caused by Android, sorry :( I have no way to control that.