Big News: Tasker Ownership Changed

Pent

Mar 2, 2018, 2:26:50 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Hi folks,

great news for you this evening!

After hanging on a bit too long, I finally decided I was not in good
enough shape to maintain Tasker anymore. The last couple of years, updates
have been too seldom, nagging bugs not fixed, new OS features integrated
too slowly or not at all. As a conscientious person, I find it very
stressful to let people down like that.

I'm therefore very (very) happy to announce that over the coming months
João Dias will be taking over Tasker. João will introduce himself below.

Transfer of the app to its new Play Store account is already achieved,
Website, development and support will follow over the coming days.
Please bear with us if there are glitches due to the transfer.

I will still be maintaining App Factory for a period, but the plan is
that eventually João takes over that too. Most of the work to create
a child app is in any case performed by Tasker.

I hope that João can put the same energy into Tasker as I was able
to in the early days. I'm sure he has a lot of plans he will reveal
to you in time.

You may still see me around a bit during the transfer period as I
try to help João absorb this complicated app. If not: a big, big thank
you to everyone who has been involved over the last 8 years,
especially the stalwarts in the forum. Rich D deserves a special
mention here.

Please stick with it a little longer: things can only get better!

Pent

p.s. I am not at liberty to give more details about the agreement I
have reached with João, please don't ask me about that.
Message has been deleted

joaomgcd

Mar 2, 2018, 2:27:53 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Hello everyone. :)

This is João Dias and I'm the developer of the AutoApps and Join. Maybe you've heard of them if you've been using Tasker for a while.
It is with GREAT pleasure that I can announce that I'm going to be taking over Tasker! This means that I'm going to be developing it from now on!

First of all this is a huge honor for me. Tasker was the app that made me want to buy an Android phone in the first place. It was the first app I bought on Google Play. When I first heard about it, it made my head spin with the possibilities it allowed. I still remember reading the Usage Examples on the Tasker website and literally spending days imagining what I would do with it once I got my hands on an Android device. It was so far beyond what was possible on my then "Smart" Nokia device that my little programming brain couldn't stop thinking about it.

And now I'm humbled to be in charge of it! I hope I can continue evolving it and keep it always fresh and exciting for you! I have a few plans for it already but please don't expect anything major soon. Give me a few weeks/months (with Pent's help) to get accustomed to Tasker's code. I know I'm going to be terrified to break anything in the app in the first few releases :P

I've been a part of Tasker for some time now, with all my AutoApps, so I know it pretty well from the outside. Of course it's going to be a different story when I get to look at it from the inside, but I'm confident all will fall in place and I'll be able to put out some great new features in the future :)

I hope you can join me on this new adventure and never forget to Automate Your Life!

Let us know what you think! :) Any comments are welcome!

João

Message has been deleted

Marta Hintz

Mar 2, 2018, 3:00:52 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I can't think of a better person to take this over. I love all your support with your apps, and I know you will succeed with tasker.
Congratulations to Pent for his superior app, and the excellent support he had given through the years.
Good luck and bless you both!
Marta

Tobias Hau

Mar 2, 2018, 3:09:32 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for everything. And hello joao dias. You got the knowledge to take over. But please, please don't make tasker to a abo like your apps. Don't get me wrong, your apps are great but I hate the model you offer it to us.

Doug Graham

Mar 2, 2018, 3:13:38 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I know most of your apps are free to try and then pay for full features (many of which I have bought).  Do you see any changes to how updates and additions to Tasker would be implemented going further?

Karlos Anderson

Mar 2, 2018, 3:16:32 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Congratulations, João!! You deserve this honor! Thank you for all those great autoapps and for Join!

Eric G

Mar 2, 2018, 3:21:55 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Wow, I knew it! (I thought you were the dev some weeks ago and you told me your not! So I'm officially a prophet now!)

Happy to hear that and probably the best person to take over I could think of.
Congrats!

joaomgcd

Mar 2, 2018, 3:26:46 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I intend to keep the pricing scheme as it is for the foreseeable future :) I actually like that there's an off-store trial and a full only version on Google Play.

Vingar

Mar 2, 2018, 3:26:46 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thanks you Pent for your hard work.
It was all wonderful! for me android = Tasker. when Android T will launch, the name will have to be Android Tasker in your honor! I'm glad you picked Joao, he's another jedy teacher like you. He too has an immense passion, is in good hands! I hope that App Factory can be improved, so everyone can create Their applications without additional plugins!Thanks for all!

joaomgcd

Mar 2, 2018, 3:27:19 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Haha that's great :D Sorry about that, couldn't mention it before!

Tasker Pro

Mar 2, 2018, 3:27:58 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
This is amazing news!

Firstly - thank you to Pent for inventing, developing, nurturing, and carrying Tasker this far, it is extremely powerful, popular, and useful.

And a big thanks to everyone in the Tasker community who have come along to help bolster its success over the years, including all of the plugin developers!

Finally a big thanks to Joao Dias for his commitment to developing for the Tasker platform and I couldn't think of a better man for the job.

I raise my glass to the future!!

-Tasker Pro
(/u/Ratchet_Guy moderator of /r/Tasker)

Pete

Mar 2, 2018, 3:31:56 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent, and the best to you!

Baud

Mar 2, 2018, 3:40:39 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for your commitment over those years, and I've appreciate your hard work along it since I've bought Tasker on 2013.

Good luck João and thanks for taking over Tasker development. Agree we couldn't think of a better man for the job.

All the best to you, Gentlemen !

George Boyce

Mar 2, 2018, 3:47:45 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
It's nice to see someone so well acquainted with Tasker taking over the reins. So, congrats, João.

Also have to say a huge thanks to Pent for the BEST app to appear on Android EVER! I'm sure everyone here knows and appreciates your continuing work on Tasker, especially in times of poor health. I sincerely hope you keep well, Pent.

Also have to agree with Pent about Rich D; guy has been an absolute hero on this board and on the Tasker Google + community.

One thing, though; have to agree with Tobias about the pricing model of Tasker. Please, please, please do not pollute it with ads and Google Analytics, like you do with all your other apps, João.

My 2c.

squirrelyfox

Mar 2, 2018, 3:47:45 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I absolutely never use Google groups, but this news was big enough to make me want to get on here and thank Pent for all his amazing work over the years. Hope you get a well-deserved rest and know how enriching your app has made other people's lives and the whole Tasker community.

Once the transfer is complete, I'm super excited to see what Joao will do with Tasker going forward!

joaomgcd

Mar 2, 2018, 4:00:19 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I intend to keep the pricing model as it is and don't add ads or analytics :) Thank you!

Jesse Connell

Mar 2, 2018, 4:03:56 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Congrats Jo!

Congratulations on becoming a father. Don't break it! Raise it right!

We all have lots of faith in you and look forward to Tasker growing up into an even more powerful app.

Great choice Pent!

Mat @NotEnoughtech

Mar 2, 2018, 4:07:32 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Speedy recovery Pent
Welcome, Joao!

I'm glad the Tasker project will be in the good hands!

George Boyce

Mar 2, 2018, 4:08:44 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Good man! I'd hate to see you become the new Cheetah Mobile. :p :)
Message has been deleted

Rob McClellan

Mar 2, 2018, 4:14:11 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Hate to admit it but I thought Joao was the one who made tasker! DoH!

Rob Perkins

Mar 2, 2018, 4:30:34 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent, I've had Tasker since my first android phone and wouldn't be able to live without it. It automates so much on my phone that I now take for granted.

Congratulations Joao, I have many of your autoapps and use them regularly. I'm excited to see what you can add to Tasker.

Frédéric Szymañski

Mar 2, 2018, 4:41:32 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you for all this hard work Pent! :-)
Take good care of you.
Message has been deleted

HeyTCass

Mar 2, 2018, 4:52:14 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Congrats João! Considering what you've been able to accomplish from the outside, I can't wait to see what you're able to accomplish from the inside! I've said it on other forums, but I'll say it again here. You set the standard for a developer with your responsiveness and support. Can't wait to see your ideas come to life.

hollywoodfrodo

Mar 2, 2018, 4:54:26 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

You know I've been one of the biggest fans of Tasker for many years as well as a huge fan of Joao and his awesome Tasker Plugins.  Tasker is synonymous with Android Customization and Automation and was years ahead of its time when you created it.  I know Tasker has been like your baby that you've watched grow over the years and it's certainly got to be hard to let it go.  But the fact that you are able to reach a point where you can admit it's time to let go is really a testament to how amazing of a developer you are.  And there could be no better person to take up the torch than Joao who had worked tirelessly to expand the capabilities of Tasker.

If there is ever an Android Museum, there should most certainly be an exhibit dedicated to you and your achievements through Tasker.  The name "Pent" will always be legendary to me and many others who have enjoyed your work so much!

gary scarborough

Mar 2, 2018, 5:03:07 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Very nice I told you a few years ago I thought you Pent and Ryoen Depruw should collaborate on some projects

UncleMike

Mar 2, 2018, 5:43:35 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Though I haven't been active here for a long time, I have been active elsewhere, and have never stopped creating new profiles making my devices truly unique.

You will be sorely missed, and I wish you all the best.

Martin Lundbäck

Mar 2, 2018, 5:48:24 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for all your hardwork, a bit sad but also very happy that João is your replacement.

Sealed Joy

Mar 2, 2018, 5:50:52 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
congrats Joao well deserved, i'm sure you will integrate things well!

Morgan Young

Mar 2, 2018, 5:53:28 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
This is good news. I am excited that Pent will get some rest and João is a great developer. I love all his stuff. I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Chris Human

Mar 2, 2018, 6:08:58 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
João, do you anticipate merging any AutoApps features into the core Tasker at any point?  I know with some cases like AutoTools, there's been a ton of tiny features being considered that didn't really have a place in any of the plugins, but with control of Tasker, you could just include them as built-in actions and functions?  I'd love to see the detail and flexibility of AutoNotification replacing the default Notify action in Tasker, for example.

Rich Carpenter

Mar 2, 2018, 6:14:58 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I want to thank you for creating the reason I can't put down my Android. I have loved and hated her, as I tried to learn and I have aquired all of my mediocre programming mindset via things I wanted to do in Tasker. It has actually altered my likely career path. Variables can change lives, literally.

There is no better person to take her from here. There are few developers who stay engaged with their users like Mr. AutoApps himself.

So, thank you and congratulations from a very appreciative user. I will likely support all that comes from Tasker and it's world in the future.

Grégoire

Mar 2, 2018, 7:15:10 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
So happy for Tasker that the best person ever becomes in charge of this golden app. Thanks Pent for everything and good luck to Joao, just keep it up as with Auto apps and we'll all be very happy!
Cheers

Rich D

Mar 2, 2018, 7:15:49 PM3/2/18
to Tasker Google Groups Post

After hanging on a bit too long, I finally decided I was not in good
enough shape to maintain Tasker anymore.

Sorry to hear that Pent. I truly hope your health improves and you enjoy a less stressful life without having to worry about what the masterminds at Google will  do next to break your stuff..

I find it very
stressful to let people down like that.

I certainly have never felt 'let down'. Very much the opposite. I am fairly certain without Tasker to make up for all the android shortcomings I would be using that other OS.

I'm therefore very (very) happy to announce that over the coming months
João Dias will be taking over Tasker.

Great choice, I have always considered  João one of of the best developers out there. I am sure he will take great care of your baby.

a big, big thank
you to everyone who has been involved over the last 8 years,

You are most welcome, and thanks for the honorable mention.. :)

However It is truly us user's who should be thanking you for all your hard work and by far the best android app on the market. It is nothing short of genius....

Wishing you all the Best...  Rich d..

Darko Novakovic

Mar 2, 2018, 7:36:47 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Wow.
Just wanted to say thanks to Pent. You've done an amazing job.

And there's no better person to continue than João.

Rich B

Mar 2, 2018, 7:46:38 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
We are all sorry to see you go. Tasker is such a great app. However, we are glad to hear that Joao is taking over because he has such great plugins for Tasker. Good luck to you both. And I agree that Rich D also needs a big thanks.

Rich B

Mar 2, 2018, 7:47:49 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Welcome, Joao. We're all glad to see that you are taking it over because we're sure you will do a great job.

FourQ

Mar 2, 2018, 8:04:03 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Huge thanks to Pent for years of effort with Tasker. My first paid app. João Dias is the best successor I can think of, AutoRemote being my second paid app.
Congratulations to João.
Sincerely hope Pent is feeling much better soon.

On Friday, 2 March 2018 19:26:50 UTC, Pent wrote:
[...]

Paul Hedderly

Mar 2, 2018, 8:06:21 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Great news all round. And not unexpected ;)

Pent many thanks!

João - how soon can you get Tasker to handle auto variables natively? :)

Rich D

Mar 2, 2018, 8:10:30 PM3/2/18
to Tasker Google Groups Post

João - how soon can you get Tasker to handle auto variables natively? :)

We can only hope that they might be "Tasker" variables at some point.. :)

Kurt Kaufman

Mar 2, 2018, 8:13:05 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for all of your years of hard work and dedication, and welcome João to the "hot seat"! It will be exciting to see how Tasker continues its gradual transformation over the next few years. Looking forward to it!

Chu Zhen Mok

Mar 2, 2018, 8:34:20 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for making Android special, I told everyone I am going to stay with Android because of The Tasker.

I have been using lots of AutoApps and especially Join. Join has come so far and improved a lot. I get to link all my Android and Windows devices. Thank you for the hard work.

Looking forward for the improvement of Tasker and AutoApps.

Martin M

Mar 2, 2018, 8:57:27 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
I'm sorry to see you go, but happy to see such a competent and passionate individual pick up the torch.

m-p{3}

Mar 2, 2018, 9:21:09 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Firstly, thanks to the original Tasker developer, it's an app that evolved quite nicely accross Android version, and I wish you the best in your future endeavors!

I can't think of a better choice for a transfer of ownership of an app like Tasker, which is in my opinion a pillar of Android for power-user.

I'm really happy with Join amd I'm eager to see how Tasker will evolve under your wing.

Mischa Krilov

Mar 2, 2018, 10:31:23 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Best wishes to you, Pent! I'm unaware what you're going through, but I sincerely hope things improve.

Congrats, João! I know you'll do awesome things.

Logan Fury

Mar 2, 2018, 11:07:51 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
This is very sad to hear that Pent will passing on the torch. Tasker brought my smart phone to life and gave me a wonderful platform to experiment with music, art, and code. Ill always be grateful to Pent for his help and support. Joas has been a huge part of building my phones personality. Ive always enjoyed his amazing plugins for Tasker, and he has shown equal passion towards development and support of his work as Pent. I cant think of a finer coder to pass the torch on to.

Thank you both for not letting the greatest application in the history of smart phones come to an end!

Logan

chrisleeuk

Mar 3, 2018, 12:18:19 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Pent, I've had only limited contact with you over the years with the odd forum post, but words can't express the difference Tasker has made to my life and has made my smart phone truly smart.

I wanted to check how long I'd been using Tasker, and I was shocked to find I'd bought it back in March 2011!
Has it really been more than half a decade?

Time has passed, and apps come and go, but Tasker has endured. Good luck for the future Pent, you made world a better place.

So the torch is passed to João, someone I can only describe as a powerhouse of development in the Tasker plug-in Eco system.
I bought many of the AutoApps individually, but I'm also a subscriber to AutoApps just because I respect João's work and the developer has to eat.

So Tasker is in safe hands!

If anyone can take Tasker forward it's João and I couldn't be happier.

Pent

Mar 3, 2018, 2:31:43 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Thanks for all the kind words!

When I realised I couldn't keep developing Tasker, I wanted first of all to
find someone who would not just sit and gouge the thing for whatever
profit they could get out of it.

I'm so glad that everyone agrees with my assessment that João is the perfect
'successor'. For you, for me and for João.

Poor guy is going to have a full schedule for the next few weeks though :-)

Pent

Owen V. Lenegan

Mar 3, 2018, 2:38:19 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Yay! So this means you are going to intergrate the six billion oddly daisy-chained Auto* plugins into Tasker as native functionality, right? About time! Losing track of which ad, Group or 'tester account' I need to watch/signup and tired of the 'Au..' section constituting 1/2 my entire App drawer. Naturally I assume our Pro subscriptions will expire every 30 days from now on but that was a given ;)

joaomgcd

Mar 3, 2018, 4:45:31 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Check out this interview where I answer that and other questions. Hope this clarifies it!

joaomgcd

Mar 3, 2018, 4:46:46 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Thanks! :) What do you mean by "handle auto variables" exactly?

joaomgcd

Mar 3, 2018, 4:59:17 AM3/3/18
to Tasker

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 7:38:19 AM UTC, Owen V. Lenegan wrote:
Yay! So this means you are going to intergrate the six billion oddly daisy-chained  Auto* plugins into Tasker as native functionality, right? About time! Losing track of which ad, Group or 'tester account' I need to watch/signup and tired of the 'Au..' section constituting 1/2 my entire App drawer. Naturally I assume our Pro subscriptions will expire every 30 days from now on but that was a given ;)

My recent interview addresses some of those concerns :P
But just so you know:
  • You can hide any AutoApp from your drawer by opening the AutoApps app, long clicking the app you want to hide and selecting "hide" from the menu
  • You only need to join Google groups if you want to beta test
  • Ads are gone from the apps when you unlock them
  • All apps can be bought separately. No subscription necessary :)
Hope this clarifies it!

larry coleman

Mar 3, 2018, 6:01:31 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
I would love to use your product. will there be a way to register autoinput without an internet connection?

João Dias

Mar 3, 2018, 6:10:43 AM3/3/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I would love to use your product. will there be a way to register autoinput without an internet connection?

Sorry there will not.  AutoInput relies on Google Play to register. Hope this clarifies it.

Ryoen Deprouw

Mar 3, 2018, 6:43:01 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Dear, +João Dias. Congratulations! As a good friend, I will wish you goodluck! We all appreciate your commitment to tasker and all its autoapps you created in the past. I believe you are the best person for to take over tasker, the experience you have and also the great support you give to your userbase. You deserve a lot of credits. I also want to thank Pent for all his commitment during all the years. If it was not for him, we never had an awesome app that we all use it today for several reasons. We also know that there were some health issues, and wish him also good goodluck with that.
I'm very curious what the road will be of Tasker, however from knowing +João Dias I know that Pent will leave it in good hands, and it will go the right direction. Thank you Pent, and goodluck Joao! Greetings, Ryoen

Owen V. Lenegan

Mar 3, 2018, 6:54:24 AM3/3/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha, I was just messin' J :) Happy to have you at the helm mate, was the most logical choice and a good one at that. Kudos to you for taking it on - gonna be a monster challenge but we know you're the man for the job. Time to breathe some new life into the old girl, buddy! god speed *salutes*

Stupifier

Mar 3, 2018, 9:05:40 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Holy crap! Joao is the perfect choice to handle Tasker. Wow!

Rebel without a Clue

Mar 3, 2018, 9:06:01 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Great news, Tasker will be in the hands of a very good and very helpful developer. It couldn't have been a better choice.
Congratulations Joao, you deserve it and I am sure you can lift Tasker to a new level (which you already did with AutoApps).

I also like to take this moment to thank Pent for all those years, Tasker has been the main reason I choose Android and stick to it.
Whatever personal reasons decided for you to stop developing, I hope they get better. I wish you all the best

Jim Becker

Mar 3, 2018, 9:10:59 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
@Pent,

Best wishes. We all wish you a healthy future.

Thanks for all that you have done to make Tasker such a remarkable app. All fussing about the UI aside, it is truly amazing and has made Android so much better.

Your baby is in good hands.

@Joao,

Please remember that other devs are creating Tasker plugins. They need the space and assistance to get started and to maintain their apps.

You may want to consider hiring one or more of them to work on Tasker together with you.

Thanks again Pent,

Jim Becker

Jeremy Harris

Mar 3, 2018, 11:59:22 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Thank you both.

Dale Smith

Mar 3, 2018, 12:09:14 PM3/3/18
to Tasker

Just wanted to give Pent my best wishes on whatever he chooses to do even if it’s just taking a rest. No one deserves it more.

My congratulations to João. I know you’ll do a great job.

And to the rest of you, I think we need to consider what a daunting task João has accepted to take on and give him time to adjust to his new role as the guardian of the app we all so dearly love.

Dale

Andre Camenzind

Mar 3, 2018, 12:41:16 PM3/3/18
to Tasker
Simultaneously sad and superb news.
Tasker IS Android, and AutoApps makes it somehow even better.

Many thanks to Pent and many thanks to come to João. We are lucky users!

ktmom

Mar 3, 2018, 12:43:47 PM3/3/18
to Tasker
Thank you Pent for the years of enjoyment of my devices, and the ability to limit my child's access to his devices, through the untold hours you have spent in development of tasker. I sincerely hope your quality of life improves.

João, thank you for picking up the torch! A better successor I can not imagine.

Ed Darby

Mar 3, 2018, 3:17:03 PM3/3/18
to Tasker
Pent,

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful work with Tasker you Sir, are a legend, I see people with stock Androids and I pity them first, then I educate them, then I beat them with a stick until they buy Tasker.

That said the only apps I have ever paid for on any of my Android phones have been Tasker or João's apps. You don't need anything else!

You couldn't have left it in more capable hands.

So long,and thanks for all the fish!

Ed.

Jithin Raj

Mar 3, 2018, 3:46:18 PM3/3/18
to Tasker
Pent, Tasker is the first application which i'd "bought" from playstore and never ever regret that decision. Thank you for keeping it simple yet powerful and affordable.

@João, as mentioned by most of the people here, please retain the simplicity and pricing of Tasker. Love your apps, i've paid for most of them, especially autovoice. All the best with Tasker development :-)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Thomas

Mar 3, 2018, 8:29:07 PM3/3/18
to Tasker
Thanks Pent, you made my Android experience worthwhile. I know Joao and he's an excellent person to pick this up with a bunch of quality tasker apps already. I think the future is in good hands.

Raul SC

Mar 4, 2018, 2:14:59 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
Hello Pent, as always, I apologize for my English.

I have been using Tasker since 2013, and since then, it has become one of my main entertainments. Because of this, I feel obliged to write a thank you message.

I think you are a bit wrong to think that at some point you have been able to disappoint your customers.

Surely, all the people who have bought Tasker, we agree that it has been one of the most profitable purchases of our lives ... 3 euros for endless hours of entertaining and functionalities for our phones ...

Nobody is going to reproach him, that some specific errors have appeared or that some updates have taken longer than we would have liked.

If we subtract to Tasker 50% of its possibilities, it would continue being the best application for telephones.

Feel proud of what you have done, and do not forget that 99% of your customers, we will always be grateful.

I hope everything goes well in life, greetings.

Pent

Mar 4, 2018, 3:07:08 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
Very nicely written, thanks Raul.

Pent

Caio Sweet

Mar 4, 2018, 3:33:10 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
@pent

Thanks for your wonderful app. Good luck and hopefully you can solve your problems.

@joao

I hope you will join your plugins in the app. Pent chose the best for his "creature".

Thom Little

Mar 4, 2018, 6:51:36 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
IMNHO (in my never humble opinion) Tasker is the app that saved Android.  App Factor then sealed the deal.

 It is great that Pent will finally be able to take it easier and Tasker will continue to be maintained and enhanced.

Let us (me) know if there is ever anything we (I) can do to help.

... Thom

Mister Extra

Mar 4, 2018, 8:30:11 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
I think Joao is the right person to do that and I wish him the best - Tasker and AutoApps make Android more precious. some future dreams: imagine  tasker and all the autoapps would be integrated in the android system - as default or as one package - and the possibility to "root" the function you need. This would be great . I'm sure Joao will bring further advantages to android! All the "big companies" are sleeping to develop a system which enable the user to add own (individual) ideas for mobile device usage. Pent, Joao (and of course other developers) empower me to do that and this is great!! Thanx to Pent who has created the roots with a powerful application which brought all this benefits.

Abdullah Alahdal

Mar 4, 2018, 9:23:51 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
Pent, I cannot write more than what have been written by other members and fans of this forums. But really, Tasker is the app which makes me return to android after going to Windows Phone. I use it to facilitate all of my complicated responsibilities. I reached to a level to use it to check a Visa status (including captcha resolver) and monitor my boss's document's validity. All routine tasks are done and managed by Tasker. Couple of bucks have saved my life and time. We cannot thank you enough.

On the other hand João Dias, I have been in a subscription mode for your AutoApps since you started and I enjoy the features and possibilities you offer. Please continue and put your passion to bring more options to Tasker.

Matthias P

Mar 4, 2018, 11:02:35 AM3/4/18
to Tasker
Pent, thank You for thisg great app! It has always been fun for me to automate things in Tasker.
You really did a great job on this one and invented an awesome app and concept to make things possible that other OS's simply are not capable of.
I really appreciate you to choose Joao as your worthy successor.
He has definetly built the most awesome plugins for Tasker and will give new impetus to development.
He definetly is an incredibly dedicated and hardworking developer

I wish both of you the best!!

Paul [sabret00the]

Mar 4, 2018, 1:11:06 PM3/4/18
to Tasker
Thank you for everything.

Paul [sabret00the]

Raul SC

Mar 4, 2018, 2:54:42 PM3/4/18
to Tasker
Hello Joao, after saying goodbye to Pent, I want to address you to tell you a couple of opinions.

The first thing is something that you know perfectly, and that is that, Pent has set the bar very high and we are going to be very demanding with you.

Considering the quality of its applications, and the years it has been linked to Tasker, I think that most users agree that you are probably the best substitute you can have, but to me it particularly creates some uncertainty for me. that a person who has so many Tasker plugins, take charge of its development.

Do not get me wrong, a few hours after buying Tasker, I bought AotoVoice, AutoRemote and some other accessories, and I am in favor of a job well done.

But we are many users of Tasker, which we like to create our own applications, and depend on plugins is a problem ...

Based on this, I would like you to clarify what your policy will be in the future development of Tasker. Will you implement Tasker functionalities as Pent has been doing all these years, or will the implements depend on future plugins?

I do not know if it would be possible to do it or not, or if you consider that this idea is crazy, but it would be perfect if you could implement all your plugins in Tasker. A kind of AutoTools, worse integrated into Tasker.

Of course, considering that they are applications that you have created before taking over Tasker, it would be fair for that implement to entail an additional cost. I hope you do not attack me much after this comment.

Peter Kirkwood

Mar 4, 2018, 2:58:08 PM3/4/18
to Tasker
Thank you very, very much to both of you for all you've done over the years. Just as João said, I bought an Android (switching from Blackberry) because of Tasker and what I (hoped) could do with it. After six years or so I still haven't exhausted the things I can and want to do with Tasker and Auto Apps (both of which were purchased very quickly). To be totally honest I haven't totally debugged some of my earlier scripts but they run fine and only show an occasional error message when debug is turned on ;)

Again thank you both and I look forward to the future.

Raul SC

Mar 4, 2018, 2:59:26 PM3/4/18
to Tasker
Small correction of a sentence that has not been translated correctly.

"And I am in favor of a job well done, it must be paid"

enotar

Mar 4, 2018, 6:52:34 PM3/4/18
to Tasker
Well I hope new features implemented as plugins will not take over here. If we need a bunch of plugins to create something that will kill the original idea. I hope tasker and app factory will continue to evolve with android.
Lets see!

Pent

Mar 5, 2018, 2:20:42 AM3/5/18
to Tasker

>I do not know if it would be possible to do it or not, or if you consider that this idea is crazy, but it would be perfect if you could implement all your plugins in Tasker. A kind of AutoTools, worse >ntegrated into Tasker.

João, I think Raol is saying this because apps created with App Factory currently require the user to install one or more

Auto plugins after install of the child app (if they are needed)

Pent

Raul SC

Mar 5, 2018, 3:01:11 AM3/5/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Exactly, that's what I mean.

From my ignorance of knowing if it would be possible or not, or if it could create some economic damage for developers; I think it would be incredible that all or some of the plugins that Joao, could be integrated into Tasker.

Libre de virus. www.avg.com

joaomgcd

Mar 5, 2018, 4:43:00 AM3/5/18
to Tasker
Thank you very much for your comments :)

I think those questions can be answered in this interview. Let me know if you need more info! Thanks!

joaomgcd

Mar 5, 2018, 4:47:48 AM3/5/18
to Tasker
Yep, I'm aware, thanks :) As I said in the interview, please don't expect every single plugin to be integrated into Tasker. If it makes sense to be part of the core functionality then, yes, I'll include it :) Otherwise it will remain in the plugin only. Hope this clarifies it.

KenG

Mar 5, 2018, 2:22:46 PM3/5/18
to Tasker
Pent, good luck, and speedy recovery. I hope all is well with you, and thanks for a great tool to enhance what Android can do.

João, congrats, and good luck with working on Tasker.

Ken

PC

Mar 6, 2018, 2:33:58 AM3/6/18
to Tasker
Pent, congrats on your retirement, and Joao, congrats on your new responsibility!

Pent: thanks for all of the personalized support you've provided via this Google group over all these years, and, needless to say, for absolutely the best app Android has to offer.  I can't imagine having a phone without Tasker now, and every time I use someone else's, it feels so... incomplete.  Enjoy your time off, and remember to relax! :)

Joao: I've bought so may of your plug-ins!  AutoLocation is a cornerstone of so many of my tasks and contexts, that, again, it's something that I can't live without now.  If you remember, I'm the only guy you've sold AutoPhoto to :) .  You've done a fantastic job extending the functionality of Tasker, and you're well-deserving of the honour to continue its development.  Glad to see it's in good hands!

Looking forward to the future!

José Barbosa

Mar 11, 2018, 3:54:19 PM3/11/18
to Tasker
Tasker for me is more than an app for automation. The ability to build app (Factory) has helped me in my job. Using Sqlite and a lot of patience (I'm not a programmer) I was able to build a small but efficient system with data that I need. I am grateful the author has worried about a successor. Tasker is an incredible tool that far surpasses the automation function. Tasker is unique in its category. Welcome, Mr. João Dias.

João Dias

Mar 12, 2018, 7:15:32 AM3/12/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much everyone :) Hope I can release the first beta today. No changes yet, just want to make sure my build process is working correctly.

Morgan Young

Mar 12, 2018, 2:42:11 PM3/12/18
to Tasker
​I know we all are excited about this.​

Morgan

Gustavo Gonnet

Mar 14, 2018, 9:08:55 AM3/14/18
to Tasker
Pent, it's great to hear that development can continue on Tasker, it's sad to see you go though. Congrats on creating a great app!
Joao, best of luck in this new challenge!

brandall

Mar 14, 2018, 7:28:46 PM3/14/18
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

I was sorry to read that you've been unwell. I know the feeling.... and I hope you are fighting fit again very soon.

I just wanted to let you know, that what you created with Tasker set a standard of complexity for me as an aspiring developer - and I thank you for that. It's mind-blowing what you achieved.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Ben (utter! & Saiy)

Nuno Guerreiro

Mar 15, 2018, 1:39:24 PM3/15/18
to Tasker
Wow, never knew this... glad for João!!! Go go tuga power!!!

João Dias

Mar 15, 2018, 2:23:22 PM3/15/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
:D Thank you!

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Nuno Guerreiro <namgue...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, never knew this... glad for João!!! Go go tuga power!!!

Dubs

Mar 21, 2018, 1:18:14 PM3/21/18
to Tasker
Thanks Pent for the great app and for passing the torch off to the king of Tasker plugins! :D

I like Joao he's very helpful and friendly, super smart too.. I don't know how he manages his plugins and helps in the forums at the same time.

Phobe Laxu

Mar 22, 2018, 2:59:13 PM3/22/18
to Tasker
WOW this is amazing news. Mega-ultra-super integration with eventghost coming up next, yes? :D:D:D:D

João Dias

Mar 23, 2018, 6:42:41 AM3/23/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
haha you already have all the integration you need with Join ;)

It is loading more messages.