File Modified Context Missing documentation.

Rich D

Aug 4, 2022, 6:58:41 PM8/4/22
to Tasker Google Groups Post
Hi João,
Could you elaborate on exactly what the "Event" category is for in the Context - Event - File Modified ?  There is no mention of this in the help docs for that event.

Thanks,  Rich..

João Dias

Aug 5, 2022, 6:56:40 AM8/5/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The event is just the event type you're monitoring :) For example, if you monitor for the ClosedWrite event you'll get that profile to trigger every time a file in the specified folder finishes being written.

Maybe I should add a brief explanation of what each event is in the help file?

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

Rich D

Aug 6, 2022, 6:10:29 PM8/6/22
to Tasker Google Groups Post

The event is just the event type you're monitoring :) For example, if you monitor for the ClosedWrite event you'll get that profile to trigger every time a file in the specified folder finishes being written.

My confusion comes from the the fact that when choosing a event context to monitor a file or folder there is currently 6 options.

File Attribute Changed
File Closed
File Deleted
File Modified
File Moved
File Opened.

 It seems Only the 'File Modified' Event context has a a "Event" category where I can now choose 6 options

Create
Modify
Moved From
Moved To
Closed Write

Questions? -

1- If I want to trigger on a file deleted do I use the 'File Modified' Event with the Delete option or do I use the 'File Deleted' event Context ? Is there a Difference?

2- If I want to trigger on a File Modified, Do I need to select the "Modify" option within the File Modified Context or would that be the same as leaving the Event option blank?

I realize this most likely comes from adding the "Event" option and having backward compatibility. However it seems confusing.

I am not sure of the best fix for this, However at the minimum a brief explanation of why there are confusing options and the correct choices for triggering on a given event in the help text and user guide would be very helpful...

Thanks,   Rich..

Rich D

Aug 6, 2022, 6:16:10 PM8/6/22
to Tasker Google Groups Post
Forgot to add the Fact that the "Event" Category of the 'File Modified' Event Context is not mentioned in the help text adds more to the mystery.... :)

Lllll

Feb 25, 2023, 3:58:50 PM2/25/23
to Tasker
This still needs an answer, or proper documentation.