Repeating Autonotification permission errors since a couple of weeks ago

RSF

Apr 12, 2023, 11:33:37 PM4/12/23
to Tasker
Any idea why AutoNotification started posting notifications on my phone about 2 weeks ago (around the time of its last update), saying:

"Can't Access File; Tap here to give AutoNotification permission to access /null. Uninstall and re-install the app if permission granting is not working. "

I've tapped, and granted access to /Autonotification and /Downloads/Autonotification folders; and tried un- and re-installing, but none of those helped. The notification gets posted once or twice a day.  AutoNotification seems to be working fine otherwise (it's posting notifications based on Tasker tasks, etc.). So I have a task set up to delete those notifications, but I worry that there's functionality that won't work

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReplyForward

João Dias

Apr 13, 2023, 4:57:06 AM4/13/23
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Seems like maybe you have a task that's posting a notification with an invalid icon. Can that be it? Try searching for actions that use AutoNotification in your Tasker setup. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

RSF

Apr 13, 2023, 10:19:04 PM4/13/23
to Tasker
João -
Thank you for your quick reply.
I've generally done an AutoNotification Query action, then used the %anicon() variable returned by the query, to post a new notification.
I assume %anicon() could point to an app's private folders... Is it the case that new Android requirements, and/or recent AutoNotification update, require me to use only icons located in the /AutoNotification/icons folder?  (or perhaps in the IPack set that AutoNotification provides)?
Thanks again.

RSF

Apr 18, 2023, 12:11:41 PM4/18/23
to Tasker
FYI: Looks like the issue is that original app's notification icon wasn't specified (was "empty"). In the past, AutoNotification ignored that and posted the revised notification without issues. Recent changes in AutoNotification and/or Android began triggering the error for that condition. I just removed the icon specification from the AutoNotification notification specification, and it works fine again.

Dean Rowntree

May 22, 2023, 2:49:01 PM5/22/23
to Tasker
Can you be more specific in what you did to rectify this please? I have the same issue. I tap the error notification, select the folder where the icon is stored but every time it fails to solve the problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work either.

RSF

May 22, 2023, 3:32:58 PM5/22/23
to Tasker
Quick answer: I blanked out the icon specification in the AutoNotification notification I posted.

Longer answer: In my situation, I was modifying another app's notification to improve its utility to me; that meant
  1. doing a query on that notification
  2. posting a new AutoNotification notification (using the variables the query returned above -- making a few changes)
  3. deleting the original app's notification
In step #2, I used the %anicon variable for the new notification's icon, the idea being that whatever icon the original notification had, I'd just reuse. But the problem was that the original notification had no icon, so the value of %anicon was "null", which (after a recent Android or AutoNotication update) the new notification interpreted as an icon named "null".  Getting rid of the value solved the problem.  Tapping the error and selecting the folder where icons are stored in general didn't fix the issue for me, since there was no such icon called "null" anywhere.

Not sure if this is your situation...  I'd look into any new notifications you're posting via AutoNotification, and check their icon specifications (whether using the result of a query, or other). If you have a valid icon file specified, in a folder accessible to the app, then I'm not sure what to recommend, other than filing a defect report. Hope this helped.

Dean Rowntree

May 23, 2023, 3:49:23 PM5/23/23
to Tasker
No, that's not my situation. I'm just creating a custom notification using an icon from a folder on the phone's internal storage. I'm not sure why it has stopped working. Thanks anyway for going to the trouble to help.