AutoInput click not working (PocketCasts app)

Tom B

Sep 10, 2022, 11:17:34 PMSep 10
to Tasker
I found a case where the AutoInput Action "click" is failing. For background, I am trying to automate using the "Add File" feature in the PocketCasts app (see "PocketCasts Add File screen.png"). I am an experienced AutoInput user and can successfully automate sharing a file to PocketCasts, changing its name, and saving the file. But after I use AutoInput to tap the "replace image" button, it brings up the file selection screen, which is where I'm experiencing this issue.

The issue occurs on Android's file selection screen when trying to click a file called "cover.jpg". (Note that the attached "File selection screen.png" is just an illustrative example - I don't have cover.jpg on that list at the moment, but I normally do.) When I try the standard AutoInput Action "click", the intended file flashes a gray color, so it seems I am successfully "clicking" that location, but the file is not actually selected (i.e. the next screen doesn't pop up) unless I manually click it (without using AutoInput).

Listed below are several variations I've tried, none of which succeed. I've also tried adding various "Wait" steps, which don't help either. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thank you!

        AutoInput Action [
             Configuration: Type: Point
             Value: 230,1200
             Action : Click
             Timeout (Seconds): 23
             Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Action [
             Configuration: Type: Text
             Value: Preview the file cover.jpg
             Nearby Text: cover.jpg
             Action : Click
             Timeout (Seconds): 23
             Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Action [
             Configuration: Type: Text
             Value: cover.jpg
             Action : Click
             Timeout (Seconds): 23
             Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Action [
             Configuration: Type: Id
             Value: com.google.android.documentsui:id/action_menu_select
             Action : Click
             Timeout (Seconds): 23
             Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Gestures [
             Configuration: Gesture Type: Swipe
             Start Point: 540,1128
             End Point: 560,1132
             Duration: 200
             Timeout (Seconds): 60
             Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Action [
              Configuration: Type: Text
             Value: cover.jpg
             Action : Select Text
              Timeout (Seconds): 23
              Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

        AutoInput Action [
              Configuration: Type: List
             Value: 1
             Action : Long Click
             Times: 5
             Interval: 0
              Timeout (Seconds): 23
              Structure Output (JSON, etc): On ]

(The idea with this last one was to long-click the item and then click the "select" button, but the long-click part doesn't work.)

File selection screen.png
PocketCasts Add File screen.png