LastPass "legacy" accessibility service, and Tasker's A.S.

Brenden M

Apr 26, 2024, 1:30:13 PMApr 26
to Tasker

Hi there, Briefly, I use LastPass and they have a "legacy" accessibility service which pops up a window that can shift around the screen, and I find it awkward. I've been working with their support, and there was something not matching up with what they were suggesting I do and what I was getting. I was "trying" to shut off that legacy A.S., but it wasn't actually seeming to fix the problem. I eventually determined last night that I can set up LastPass just fine the way I want, but when I install Tasker, suddenly there is a strange background conflict. I describe the issue more below, copying from my response to the LP support: "I think it has to do with the Accessibility Services and a conflict with another app I use. The app is Tasker, and I will reach out to that app's support channels. For me, both LastPass and Tasker are deemed necessary for my daily use of my phone. The functions I use require Tasker accessibility service turned on as well as Android Device Admin set to Tasker.

My troubleshooting showed me that I could only have LastPass installed and its accessibility service turned off which fixes my issue like your directions intend to, when I do not have Tasker installed and setup. At this point in my testing, I had LastPass set to "Auto-Fill" service on my Android, but that process did not mention Device Admin, etc.

As soon as Tasker is setup and running, with LastPass untouched after previously working, I find that automatically and against my expectation LastPass accessibility service is turned on. When I tick the slider for accessibility service in either LastPass or Tasker, I cannot turn either off.

Something between the apps here seems to be causing an issue, and I am unsure the best approach to the fix." So...... The fact I could not turn either slider off, and have to uninstall to get either working by itself, is my main issue, and it seem either LP or Tasker could resolve, and in fact maybe both want to not have such conflict! The other thing to mention perhaps is the legacy A.S. is described by LP as needed for older apps such as made for Android Oreo.

Thanks.

Antonio Tovar

Apr 27, 2024, 4:12:56 PMApr 27
to Tasker
May be related, I can't turn off Accessibility for Autonotification. I turn it off and the switch goes to On again immediately.

Brenden M

May 29, 2024, 12:18:20 PMMay 29
to Tasker
I am currently waiting for an update from LastPass. The part of their app which could be suspect here is definitely the old method they use which is not as relevant moving forward in Android. Basically, they have too much bloat I think, and it should be able to be turned off so their service doesn't conflict with other Accessibility or auto fill/ screen access. However, it cannot be turned off, as described.

Perhaps, after they get the issue figured out, my problem will disappear. It's understandable there could be confusion between two apps that have deep access to screen reading and system input.

I will update when they respond.