Demo of Tasker interface for Raspberry Pi home security

Duckredbeard

Aug 7, 2022, 10:37:58 PM8/7/22
to Tasker

This is a Tasker scene that is my GUI for my home security system. Raspberry Pi monitors switches at several doors and locks, sends AutoRemote messages when states change. Tasker uses them messages to set variables, create/cancel notifications and change scene elements. Enjoy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HTZbHUHzAZaHNbyw9

Posted this demo in a subreddit (r/homeautomation) when someone asked if they could use an Android tablet for a security system/smart home control pad. There are functions on this scene that are not demonstrated in this video that add significant functionality to the scene.

Elements could be added to to this scene to control the dozens of other smarthome devices in my home. IFTTT and Join are also involved in my ecosystem.

I've been using Tasker almost 12 years now...still finding new things to do!

João Dias

Aug 8, 2022, 5:54:15 AM8/8/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That's super awesome! 😁 Thank you very much for sharing!

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

Duckredbeard

Aug 17, 2022, 12:33:50 AM8/17/22
to Tasker
One thing I noticed when I made this video was that the scene got hidden when I opened the garage passage door.  The whole process is a bit complicated, but it all works so well and is VERY reliable.  A Raspberry Pi is monitoring a magnetic reed switch for a state change.  When the state changes, a python program does a r = requests.post to a Join URL that contains a the words garage, passage, and open.  Tasker gets the "message" words and runs a task.  One of the task steps is to do a "Join action" (Join action that sends a webhook with "GaragePassageOpen" to IFTTT and IFTTT sends a message to Wyze to turn on the lights on the stairs ).  So what happens is that when you open the door at the bottom of the stairs, the stairs lights are turned on.  This all happens before you even walk through the door. You'll notice in the video the Join toast that says "StairsLightOn performed on IFTTT" when I open the door.  And then scene gets hidden/killed and something sends the device back to its home screen.  All other steps of this "Garage passage open" task run to completion. (A few variables get set and a Google Sheet gets a new line).

I have thinned it all out and done some experiements.  Whenever a "Join action" is run, any scene that is being shown at that moment gets hidden (or the device is forced back to the launcher's home screen).  This does not happen when I do  Join Send Push with the same "GaragePassageOpen" but the message is still received and the lights indeed turn on.  I have proven this with multiple scenes.

Fun fact, I did a run log capture and nowhere in that did it have the words scene, kill, destroy, hide, home, page, launcher, or back.   Why does the "Join action" kill or hide an active scene?