How do I make profiles active when the screen is off?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 3:01:30 AM12/7/21
to Tasker
Samsung S21
Android 11

On my new journey with my new phone, I am needing to write new stuff to get around certain things being deprecated since the last time I did this.

I am starting small and working up.

I have the `sensor` `shake` and `left/right`.
When that happens, the phone beeps.

BUT - the killer for me - is that ONLY works if the screen is on.
If the screen is off:  nothing.

Not exactly practical if I want a notification on pick up for SMS's etc.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

João Dias

Dec 7, 2021, 6:12:17 AM12/7/21
to Tasker
Hi there.
To make sure Tasker and the AutoApps run in the foreground please check here: https://tasker.joaoapps.com/userguide/en/faqs/faq-problem.html#00

Pay special attention to the location part. If Tasker doesn't have permission to get location in the background it might not work correctly, so disable and re-enable the location permission and make sure that you allow Tasker to always access it.

Make sure to check here too: https://dontkillmyapp.com/?app=Tasker
Also, make sure that Tasker > Menu > Preferences > Monitor > Display Off Monitoring section > Accelerometer is set to Yes
Hope this helps!

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 3:13:54 PM12/7/21
to Tasker
Thanks.

I've been to that link many times.

> If you want to use features while the screen is off make sure that the options in Preferences -> Monitor -> Display Off Monitoring are enabled for the conditions you want.

Where is this?
In the phone's settings or Tasker's?

I get it that I haven't used this for abut 6 years, but there is a lot of jumping from Tasker stuff to Phone stuff and no distinction made when they are mentioned so I am spending a lot of time searching for those settings.

I still can't find that Preferences -> Monitor -> Display Off Monitoring.

I'll now have a quick look at your other replies and see if I can make any distance with them.
Message has been deleted

My-kl

Dec 7, 2021, 4:35:06 PM12/7/21
to Tasker
> Where is this?

Tasker > 3 dots menu > Preferences > Monitor
There's a 'General' section followed by a 'Display On Monitoring' section followed by the 'Display Off Monitoring' section.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 5:01:24 PM12/7/21
to Tasker
Thanks.

Got that working now.

I'll see if I can get more things working.

While I have you:   I (supposedly) imported the "PROJECT" that was in the link in one of my many threads.

Ok, it is a PROJECT....   There are PROFILES, TASKS, SCENES and VARS.

Where is the PROJECT in the scheme of things?

It says it is imported, but I can't find anything new in the views I see.

billybobjoe the650th

Dec 8, 2021, 10:46:14 AM12/8/21
to Tasker
projects are at the bottom of the screen

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 11:44:33 AM12/8/21
to Tasker
Setting the accelerometer to Yes is the key.  But shakes seem to be detected more reliably when I select Yes and Keep Tasker Awake.  Unfortunately, through testing I've discovered that leaving the accelerometer set to YES all the time is a BIG drain on the battery.  You will want to turn on the accelerometer preference only when absolutely necessary.  This can be done from a task.  It isn't the same thing as enabling/disabling a profile.  Also, I found that the orientation sensor finally works in my latest versions of Tasker/Android/Device.  And the orientation sensor can't be turned off and on.  If you use the orientation sensor instead of the accelerometer you might prolong the charge on your battery, though I've never tested this.

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 12:21:35 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
I should add that these days I only use shake for security purposes.  Specifically, if I drop the phone while the display is unlocked, the display is locked.  Setting the accelerometer to "only when on" gives me this capability.

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 12:25:00 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
Oops, there is no such setting.  I'm set to Yes.  But only when I'm away from home.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 2:53:22 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
Thanks.

Yeah, I had some fun with the accelerometer.

But despite my best efforts, I still can't get it working when the screen is off.
(Moving on)

The proximity sensor...   Any ideas why it doesn't work unless the phone is in use?
As I said (somewhere) on my S5 it works easily.  But the S21:  only if the phone is in use.

joaomgcd

Sorry, but I still am not seeing that project when I import it.
Tasker (as said) complains, but I tell it to import it.   Then:  nothing.

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 7:25:46 PM12/8/21
to Tasker

Yeah the proximity sensor no longer works on my Samsung A72 either.  It made me angry at first because the prox sensor was one I could always count on.  But it forced me to take another look at the orientation sensor.  It works reliably and is so much easier to use than it was in the past!

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 8:02:02 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
Geez.  Why is 50% of learning actually unlearning?  I just discovered that my security drop & lock thing works with the accelerometer preference set to No. 🤣😂🤣😂

Dave W

Dec 8, 2021, 11:24:33 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
Okay I'll try to help you make shake work with the display off even though I think it's a dumb Idea. 🤣😂🤣😂  Seriously, I always needed to set accelerometer to "Yes and keep Tasker awake."  I have no idea why   So far folks have said just setting "Yes" is sufficient.  But in my experience, it isn't.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 11:46:00 PM12/8/21
to Tasker
Well, you (Dave) have the bull by the horns.

Yes, I need the accelerometer on, but ONLY if there is a missed call.
So most of the time it can stay off, and if TASKER detects a missed call, it can turn it on.

Then when the missed call is cleared, it (TASKER) can turn it back off.

Yes, for testing it needs to stay on all the time.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 12:12:00 AM12/9/21
to Tasker
I'm not interested in why you want to do this.  Together we'll try to get basic shake working.  So just set accelerometer preference to "Yes and keep Tasker awake."  Then create a profile that detects left-right shake with both sensitivity and duration set to medium.  The anonymous task triggered by the shake should vibrate the phone for 200mS or more.  No other actions should be in the anonymous task.  You have probably already tried this.  But if I'm going to help you, we have to start somewhere.  It's midnight here and I'm sleepy.  Talk to you tomorrow.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 12:17:31 AM12/9/21
to Tasker
Okies.

I shall have to dig deeper.   I can't even (now) find where that setting is.
(Accelerometer)

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 12:21:37 AM12/9/21
to Tasker
I have a basic "project" where if I pick up the phone (shake L/R) it beeps.
But it doesn't work if the screen is off.

That's where I am at now.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 10:28:35 AM12/9/21
to Tasker
I wanted you to create a new shake profile as I described.  Have you done this?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 2:56:47 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
(Just got up)

I  have one which detects the phone being shaken L/R.
Only works when screen is on and it beeps.

That's what I have at this point.

(To digress to you saying the proximity sensor doesn't work)
Make a profile with the proximity sensor that beeps.
Make a phone call and have the phone (as in APP) active and wave your hand over the proximity sensor.

I mentioned this in another post of mine.    It works.   So I have concluded the proximity sensor only works in the phone is active.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 3:25:14 PM12/9/21
to Tasker

I'm a retired electrical engineer with an MS in computer engineering.  Perl guru.  C++/OOP guru. And with over 10 years experience using Tasker, I'm a self proclaimed Tasker guru.  But knowledge isn't what's important here.  What's important is my 30 years experience in how to debug and solve computer hardware and software problems.  So have you done what I've told you to do so far?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 3:29:26 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Indulge my stupidity and clarify what that is?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 3:40:42 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Oh, the accelerometer is set to YES.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 4:28:34 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Perhaps I should have better explained what all we're going to do.  We are going to strip things down to what in my experience, I know should work.  After we get the bare bones working, assuming we can, you will slowly add stuff back in until shake stops working.  We will have then isolated the problem. I'm not wasting my time repeating where we will start...unless you pay me to do it.  🤣😂🤣😂

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 4:44:36 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Starting at THE top:  accelerometer:   Yes it is set to OFF as described.

>  Also, I found that the orientation sensor finally works in my latest versions of Tasker/Android/Device.  And the orientation sensor can't be turned off and on.

I can't find that setting.

>  "Yes and keep Tasker awake."

Found, set and now when the screen is off and I shake the phone it beeps.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 5:37:32 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Are you saying that the problem has been solved?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 5:40:09 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Nearly!

I  have "Projects" that seem to work for missed calls and SMS's.

What has me now is this question:
How do I get TASKER to turn the accelerometer on and off?
This way, until there is a "missed call" or SMS, it can stay off and save power.
And once I have see the missed call/sms it can be turned off again.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 5:52:05 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Goddamn I'm good!  🤣😂🤣😂 See Actions/Tasker/Tasker prefs/Accelerometer.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 5:56:50 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Ok....   Actions:  Check.   Tasker:  Check.   Tasker prefs...   Nah.  Tasker Functions?  Nah.  Not there either.

This is from the TASKS screen - yes?

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 6:07:20 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Going into Actions/ if I search (the cheating way) I type `acce` and I all I have are:  accessibility, access ability settings and Network access.

No Accelerometer listed anywhere.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 6:10:45 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Oops...too much vodka.  🤣😂🤣😂  Choose Tasker/Set tasker pref/Accelerometer after clicking the + button while editing a new or existing task.

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 6:23:25 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Thanks.

It looks good.   Shall have to test it, but if the bits and pieces I tried are ok, all should be good.

Now I have all the other PROJECTS to port over.   Fun fun fun!  (Not!)  ;)

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 6:28:18 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
I hear ya.  It took me 3 days to complete my last port.  That's when the vodka really comes in handy. 🤣😂🤣😂

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 6:31:27 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
I find the vodka makes the mistakes worse for me.   But to each their own.

Thanks again though for the help.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 6:51:23 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Hmmm...you're "I just want the facts" type comment has forced me to insist that the next time you want help from me, you'll have to pay me for the help. 🤣😂🤣😂

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 6:56:16 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
I wasn't try to be nasty.   I was just being a bit "cheeky".   I can't hold vodka and it doesn't help me.

Sorry the meaning was lost in the translation.

Without your help I would still be lost in the menus and where things are "hidden".   This is a big change from when I did it 6 years ago on my S5.
That was hard enough.   But this is a whole new paradyne (?spelling?) of thinking.

And I did say:
> Thanks again though for the help.
hoping there wouldn't be any bad feelings from me to you and that I appreciated your help.

Dave W

Dec 9, 2021, 7:00:51 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
I understand and I agree.  You're spelling sucks. 🤣😂🤣😂

fuzzywu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2021, 7:03:58 PM12/9/21
to Tasker
Too much vodka!   (Attempted humour)

Soudane GMTA

Dec 10, 2021, 5:37:01 PM12/10/21
to Tasker
> I hear ya.  It took me 3 days to complete my last port.  That's when the vodka really comes in handy.

Drinking vodka helps you drink your port more rapidly?
I'll have to try that next time I have a few bottles of port that I want to finish.
(Sorry ... I couldn't resist the off-topic, very bad pun!) 🤣😂🤣😂

Back to reality.

Dave W

Dec 10, 2021, 7:00:04 PM12/10/21
to Tasker
GMTA:  Your conclusion is correct.  That was a horrible pun. 🤣😂🤣😂