Error: Your device doesn't seem to be rooted.

James Isidro

Jul 15, 2015, 2:59:12 AM7/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I added a run shell in my actions, and I tried to check "Use Root" box. But it didn't let me check, instead I received this error: "Error: Your device doesn't seem to be rooted." Then I googled it to error to find a solution, and I find out that I need to convert supersu to superuser which I had no idea what they were talking about? What is supersu, and what is superuser? Anyway, then googled how to convert supersu to superuser as well, and then kinda lost from there.

Long story short, does anyone know how can I ged rid of this: "Error: Your device doesn't seem to be rooted."? Thanks.

Pent

Jul 15, 2015, 4:36:58 AM7/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, mertko...@gmail.com

Marta Hintz

Jul 15, 2015, 11:47:10 AM7/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Tasker doesn't root your phone, but if you have root then tasker will allow you to use root functions.

James Isidro

Jul 16, 2015, 2:37:48 PM7/16/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, mertko...@gmail.com
I read that writing. Here are the things that I didn't understand.

  • the su program must be in your path -> What do you mean by this? How can I find su program? And afther I find it, which location should I locate?

  • one of the following must be found:-> One of the following must be found where?
    • a superuser package -> Again, what is this? Package == App?
    • the word modversion somewhere in the file /system/build.prop -> What is word modversion?

    If root is not being detected on your device but you are sure that root can be used by Tasker, you can therefore probably fix that by adding a line like:

    # modversion this line enables Tasker root support -> This looks like a comment to me, if i add this comment to somewhere, then it will start to work?

    to the top of the file /system/build.prop. -> Where is /system/build.prop located?

    Thanks for your help.

Pent

Jul 17, 2015, 5:21:38 AM7/17/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, mertko...@gmail.com
>If root is not being detected on your device but you are sure that root can be used by Tasker, you can therefore probably fix that by adding a line >ike:
  • # modversion this line enables Tasker root support -> This looks like a comment to me, if i add this comment to somewhere, then it will start to work?

Yes.
  • to the top of the file /system/build.prop. -> Where is /system/build.prop located?

In /system

Pent

James Isidro

Jul 20, 2015, 2:01:42 PM7/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, mertko...@gmail.com

In /system

Pent

Where is In /system located? How can I open up that file?

Jay M

Jul 20, 2015, 3:17:38 PM7/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com, mertko...@gmail.com

Download a root file explorer navigate to the root of your device and look for a folder called system inside it theres a buildprop file open it with any text editor, edit the file save changes and reboot.

Jay M

James Isidro

Jul 21, 2015, 5:08:59 PM7/21/15
to Tasker
I downloaded an app called file manager, and by using this app I was able to find system file, and build.prop file, but I couldn't add "# modversion this line enables Tasker root support" line, you can only delete, copy, rename the file, but you cannot edit text with this app.

Then I downloaded another app called build prop editor, and with this app I could add "# modversion this line enables Tasker root support" line, but this time my phone did not let me save, and I got an error like "failed saving build.prop".

Additional info: My phone is nexus 4, and i am using android. So in this situation, how can I solve the problem?

Thanks.

Jay M

Jul 21, 2015, 5:24:09 PM7/21/15
to Tasker

Weird :/ all I can think of is selinux is enforced change it to permissive and try again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

Scott Miller

Jul 21, 2015, 6:24:59 PM7/21/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

You probably need to mount the system partition as read/write before you can make changes. It's read only by default.

Scott

Brian Houghton

Jul 21, 2015, 8:25:47 PM7/21/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend a dedicated build prop editor.  You can find several in Google Play.  The one I use is part of 3c Tuner Pro.  You can use it to edit the build.prop file.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Scott Miller <sjmill...@gmail.com> wrote:

You probably need to mount the system partition as read/write before you can make changes. It's read only by default.

Scott

-------------------------------
Regards,
Brian Houghton
bahou...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

James Isidro

Jul 27, 2015, 12:20:17 PM7/27/15
to Tasker, mertko...@gmail.com

I have tried all of these, and non of them worked. The real problem is my nexus 4 device has to be rooted, and I do not know how. I have followed the tutorials in here: http://highonandroid.com/android-smartphones/how-toupdate-and-root-android-5-1-manually-on-nexus-4-5-6-9-and-10/, but I have still failed, because my laptop did not recognize my nexus 4 as it is shown in the image.

If I cannot find someone to root my nexus 4, what should I? I mean why it is so hard to use this app... for an average user? I have started to get dissapointed with this Tasker already...

easiuser

Jul 27, 2015, 12:41:05 PM7/27/15
to Tasker, mertko...@gmail.com
As Marta stated in the first response, Tasker does not root your phone.  All of the information above is if Tasker does not recongize your phone if you have in-fact rooted it in the first place.  Superuser is simply a program that monitors root access to your phone.  Typically this is installed during the rooting process.

Search the internet on how to root your phone.  Once rooted, Tasker will probably recongize it you can run your shell script.

NOTE: Rooting your phone is not for the novice.  Methods to do so are device specific and you must follow the instructions precisely.  Rooting may effect your carrier's contract and/or manufacturers warranty.

That said, I have successfully rooted every phone I have owned.  It allows you do so much more, but you can also do a lot more damage if you don't know what your doing.